Clay Bar

[ QUOTE ]

Does the Clay Bar make any improvement on new'ish paintwork?

Ade

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends if the paintwork has been well treated until now. Good test is to run your hands or a microfibre towel over the paintwork. If it feels like glass then you're probably ok, if it's very slightly gritty or you can see specs of dirt (bottom of door near wheelarch on mine seems to get the most) then claying would be a good idea.

A

I'm just giving the car a good ole clean up prior to removing the swirl marks with some polish and elbow grease this coming weekend.

I will wax after then and unfortunately I have already got the NXT wax.

What's your method of removing the swirls?

NXT produces a lovely shine but imho doesn't last as long as Megs Gold Class. It also appeared to attract the flies in the Summer, and I'm not the only one who has experienced that apparently!

[ QUOTE ]
NXT produces a lovely shine but imho doesn't last as long as Megs Gold Class. It also appeared to attract the flies in the Summer, and I'm not the only one who has experienced that apparently!

[/ QUOTE ]

Smells too damn good! I found the same ... I reckon a couple of coats of gold class and 1 of NXT to finish would look great - 3 times application time though.

A

The swirls aren't very bad but at least I notice them!!!!!

I was lead to believe I would need a polish to get rid of them prior to waxing.

just got myself a clay bar, only done part of a panel but so far its going well, didnt realise how much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif was in the paint.

just done my car this morning..if you were thinking about it - just go get and try. my cars paintwork was typical of a 9 year old car, felt like it had grains of sand all over when you touched it, so i used this quick clay bar - took 1 1/2 hours including washing, drying, clar bar and a wax afterwards, now the paint looks fully refreshed and feels like gloss..

the clay bar keeps turning brown when you are using and you keep having to kneed it through, where there were light scratch marks around the door handle's you can see it pulls out all the ingrain marks (and this is after a wash), so i waxed afterwards with colour magic to try and hide .... its not perfect, but 100% better than just going from straight from a wash then wax..

also i think this will last for quite a while.. i've hardly used any of the spay liquid ...

[ QUOTE ]
just done my car this morning..if you were thinking about it - just go get and try. my cars paintwork was typical of a 9 year old car, felt like it had grains of sand all over when you touched it, so i used this quick clay bar - took 1 1/2 hours including washing, drying, clar bar and a wax afterwards, now the paint looks fully refreshed and feels like gloss..

the clay bar keeps turning brown when you are using and you keep having to kneed it through, where there were light scratch marks around the door handle's you can see it pulls out all the ingrain marks (and this is after a wash), so i waxed afterwards with colour magic to try and hide .... its not perfect, but 100% better than just going from straight from a wash then wax..

also i think this will last for quite a while.. i've hardly used any of the spay liquid ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Impressive isn't it?

As for the spray, it's just a lube so you can just use a fairly concentrated car wash solution when the spray runs out - works just as well.

Adam

What is allso a good idea is to cut the clay bay into 2/3 bits, so if drop it you still have a clean bar
but i think it is the best thing i have used to clean the paint work and remove some light scratch marks are there any good tip from any one else ?

What do you guys use as a lube with the clay? I used the quick detailer stuff but I think it lubed it a little too much....

Also the clay didn't seem to get the bug splatter off, although knowing Audi's super high quality paint its probably eaten through the laquer....

I use the quick detailer but if you run out you can use soapy water. As long as it's lubricated enough it should work well.