How do you protect your....

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
..alloy wheels? e.g. After washing the body, wheels, chamois and polish. I then apply to my little darling her makeup; Autosol the exhaust and shiny bits, apply the Meguairs Endurance Gel to the tyres and then finally use TurtleWax Tyre Shine on the actual alloy itself.

I find by doing this it leaves a film accross the entire alloy. The intention is to collect the brakedust and whatnot, so when you come to clean it again you can then just wipe off the muck with ease rather than destroy the alloy with a wire brush.

I find it works a treat, but is it wise? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've got a similar product that works very well...

I got it in halfords, silver coloured squirty bottle.. I will have a look at the name of it tomorrow..

the zymol wheel protector works very well. Brake dust just pressure washes or sponges off.

zymol wheel cleaner is very effective too and having spoken to a little man at http://www.sportscarworld.net/ it would seem that the wheel cleaner has been moved to the premium range so is now cheaper and may well be available in h'fords soon.

also, have a look at the just waxed section at the above site, under home, just waxed, previous winners 2002, august - amazing beetle with very shiney wheels

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
[ QUOTE ]
John said:
You could even just polish your wheels with Gold Class Wax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That would make it easier to get the brake dust off as it would not stick.

Regards,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I do, works a treat.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

...hmmm. I tried a one point Mer polish on the alloys of a previous car and found that the brakedust stuck quite well and congealed on the wheel. So I moved away from that. Still interesting thoughts to cogitate on.

Ta

IIRC you should never use car wax/polish for the alloys. Can't remember how I know that, but its a good question for someone to ask Mr Meguiar?