bumper scrape

FranA3

FMDETAILING
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
ok so this wasn't the idea opportunity for me to show some correction but as it has happened i thought i would show you anyway
the story was my mother was reversing off the drive and went right into my rear bumper on my audi wasn't happy at all but accidents happen don't they here is some pics for you
DSCF5136-1.jpg

DSCF5145-1.jpg

DSCF5127.jpg

went from this ^^^^
to this vvvv
DSCF5136.jpg

and this vvvv is too deep to remove fully
DSCF5146.jpg

products used :
menzerna power finish with a light cut pad
menzerna final finish with a polishing pad
menzerna final finsih with a finishing pad
two coats of dodo juice supernatural hybrid applied by hand
thanks for reading

cheers darren looks a bit better eh , lol yeah all is well again now nearly killed her when she told me tho haha

Hey fran. nice post on the work you did.

Had a similar story except it i wasnt so lucky, was the girlfriends mother and my car didnt turn out so good !!!!!! 2 hairline cracks about 4 and 6 inch in length on my front bumper and a busted spot light later :puke2:..... Sure who need's de frost there rear window before reversing (at speed) anyway !!!!! haha. forgiven and forgotten.

I cant see for sure from the pictures but, if the remains of the scratch you cant polish out in the last pic are only in the clear coat you could do this. hope it might help.

1. Give the area to be treated a good clean and decontamination, clay ect, then most importantly, use some IPA (alcohol based liquid) you can get wipes too, paint prep wipe i think its called ! to wipe down the area, to remove wax, and any polish residue, so the new paint will stick.
2.use some 3m blue tape to mask off around the area just in case you have a shaky hand.
3.Really lightly touch in the scrapes with some layers of lacquer using a really fine brush. making sure the layers of lacquer are just barely above the original paint height.
4.Then after a day or two of letting the lacquer set fully, soak your wet and dry paper in some water preferably the night before (2000,2500,3000) tape off the area again right up to the fresh lacquer line. so its only the new lacquer thats visible in the middle of your taped off area and about 1 mil of your original lacquer. This is so not to remove any original lacquer surrounding your touch up whist sanding. and still be able to see your original line of depth to get down to.
5.Using 2000 grit wet and dry on a block (meguirs stiff foam/rubber one i find the best) and a spray bottle in hand constantly misting the already wet area while you sand down your touched up area. Rub very gently. let the sandpaper do the work. working in the same direction back and forth. ****8always dry off**** and check your area after every 3rd or 4th movement. wet is deceving.
6.After about 12 passes with the 2000 grit (constantly checking your progress) change up to your 2500, same process as above GENTLY, BARELY ANY PRESSURE, CONTACT ALONE IS ENOUGH. let the sandpaper do the work.
7.then onto the 3000 grit. same process.

8.When your down to your original paint depth and level with 3000. there should be minimal if no raised area and a nice smooth hazy finish. where your scratch used to be remove your tape.
Buff up to a shine with a good cut polish 3m fast cut plus I would use, but whatever is at hand, or to your personal taste "except T-CUT" !!!!!!!!!!
Then polish with your finishing polish when all hazing is gone.
then all you have to do is re-wax/seal your area.

DONE :)

I hope I haven't insulted anyone here. :thumbsup:

Mods can re-post this somewhere else if needs be.

Padraic

thanks buddy for your kind words , I'm a pro detailer/valeter so that was only a temporary fix until i either repaint it or get a s-line rear bumper not sure which one it will be yet lol , but if i was going to repaint it i would do the whole bumper as there is a tiny bit of clear coat peeling on the corner so will have to sort that out at the same time as its doing my head in and want to sort it out before next years car show season