Scuff ?

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
Has anyone got any ideas how i can get rid of this scuff:

58266514.jpg

32732131.jpg

It looks a bit like a cat scratch around the edges (you can see it a bit in the last pic) so I'm guessing ill need to get a bit of wet & dry on it first.

I'm quite good with the old touch up paint but the part I've had problems with (only with the audi’s hard paint) is blending the touch up paint in.

I've in the past tried 2000 wet& dry , rubbing compound...etc but they seem to leave a haze that i cant get rid of.

Thanks for any help given ;)

With all due respect, that isn't going to buff out.

Here's a better picture after i wet sanded it:

img2011110300052edit.jpg

I've now filled it in with some touch-up paint so will be going over it again tomorrow.

What's the best thing to use to get rid of the scuffs/haze left behind from the wet sanding?

Meguiars SwirlX mate, followed by a nice polish will get rid of the wetndry marks, but your gonna need a lot of elbow grease. DONT USE TCUT.. it doesnt diminish as you rub and you can go straight through the paint!!! gradually build up the layers of touch up paint,,,, then rub down with the wet and dry, then compound over , then polish, then wax.
I had to do a keyed A3 like this a while ago and it worked fine!
you can get the SwirlX here http://www.maxreflect.com/meguiars/meguiars-swirl-x.html
r
emember to register and use couponcode "audisport" to get 10% off

Cant tell from the pic if it's gone through the paint or not though!

are you serious?

That is definitely through the paint!

Only way that's being repaired is with paint.

Just to clear things up, It went through the clear coat, paint and even gave a cat scratch look in the plastic....lol

I've been slowly building up the paint and its looking a lot better.

I was looking at the meguiars products, but does anyone know what the difference is between the SwirlX, ScratchX and the Ultimate compound as they all seem to do the same thing?

Thought i would post up what it looks like wet and then what it looks like dry :)

Wet:

img2011110500075edit1.jpg

Dry:

img2011110500076edit2.jpg

I remembered i had a quixx scratch repair kit so gave the number 2 stuff a try and this was the result:

TBA.. I took ages as the stuff is like water.

I've been doing a bit of reading on the SwirlX and it seems that it wont do anything on the audi hard paint :(

Would the ScratchX 2.0 be any good or will that leave its own haze/marks?

Last edited:
Bit of an update.....

Over the last week I've been building up the paint,letting it dry and then lightly wet sanding it back down and to be honest you can hardly see the original scuff now :)

The problem i have now is that just around the original scuff, the paint has gone very thin from the wet sanding and you can see white (i expect primer) showing through it.

I've tried the same method of putting a layer of paint over it and wet sanding it back but i cant seem to get it smooth without the white showing through.

Any ideas ?

it needs to be resprayed mate if you have rubbed it down that much the primer is coming through there is not enough paint on there reps ray is the only way to fix that i would have thought

it needs to be resprayed mate if you have rubbed it down that much the primer is coming through there is not enough paint on there reps ray is the only way to fix that i would have thought

I've been adding paint mate and the original scuff is more or less non existent now.

I just cant get the paint blend on this new problem without taking the paint down so far the primer shows through :(

Do you think i would have more luck getting the paint smooth using a rubbing compound and not the wet & dry?

no because you will take more and more paint off using either if primer is showing there's not enough paint i don't think you would be able to get a good finish by touching it in at all no matter how much paint you would use for the best finish spraying is the only way to get it smooth enough tbh , but if you aren't that keen on spraying it then use mild cutting compound not t-cut or alike they are too harsh they take paint off not smooth it meguairs swirl-x is a good retail off the shelf product

no because you will take more and more paint off using either if primer is showing there's not enough paint i don't think you would be able to get a good finish by touching it in at all no matter how much paint you would use for the best finish spraying is the only way to get it smooth enough tbh , but if you aren't that keen on spraying it then use mild cutting compound not t-cut or alike they are too harsh they take paint off not smooth it meguairs swirl-x is a good retail off the shelf product

Thanks mate ;)

What i did with the original scuff was offer the course of a few days i put a little bit of paint in it with an artists brush, waited a day for it to go hard then smoothed it down with wet&dry. i repeated this until it was looking really good then i put some more paint in around the edges...etc using a tooth pick, I then used some wet&dry, After all that it still looked a bit dull so i used some megs ultimate compound and finished off with some megs speed glaze 80.

I've got to say , I'm really impressed with how its come out.

As for the problem i have now.. I was thinking of taking the paint down a bit more before adding some touch up paint so that by the time i sand in down it would be flush with the paintwork.

Ill have a go at it with some compound like you said first ;)