Chris NottSky Insurance

Thread: The Cull

1st Gear

Status

The Cull

I have been pondering latley with the mounting bills i seem to be getting and looking at my vast detailing collection and thinking may be i should have a cull and just keep what i need?

Anyone else have these urges and whats your thoughts?

I seem to be uber busy doing other things and dont have much time to do detailing as much as i did before

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Problem with detailing (not that I do a proper job of it) is that you spend hours on the car getting everything as close to pristine as you can, then it either rains or you run through a swarm of midges and 6 hours effort goes down the pan.

I do a hal arsed job once a year just to keep the car looking tidy, but other than that there are a million things I'd rather do than be rubbing clay over a tar splattered bonnet as no matter how much I love my car it's just as thankless a task as I can think of.

Hours of pain for a few minutes gain!

Huge respect to those who do it properly, but in future I'd rather pay pros to do it properly rather than litter my garage with endless half used pots of overpriced chemicals!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

5th Gear

Status
    I to thought about doing this....I dont have very many waxes but im buying just panel pots now and using all in one products. To be fair i havent a huge collection as such but i bought alot of towels etc to make my job easier to clean the car. I tend to enjoy buying samples now as paying circa 20 for a compound is pointless as i wont use it on my car aparts from maybe once every few years or something.
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

1st Gear

Status
    For me i think it became a small obsession and impulse buying and now after years of doing it i have though wtf do i need all this clobber for! So i think the Cull is on

Per ardua

Status
    I agree with warren that some products are way over priced and the manufacturers must be laughing all the way to the bank. I think one day we'll find out that we've all been taken for a ride.

But if you decide to cull your collection moosh then make sure you post your sale here
    For sale:
    RS6 18" alloys
    S-line 8p2 chrome grill
    Pm me.

she's no d-turbo

Status
    I've started doing this recently as i had way too much stuff. Culled a lot of my stuff back as i realised that IMO a lot of the products do the same job. I'm now using Autosmart g101 as a replacement for wheel cleaner, APC and engine bay cleaner and to be honest it works fine. Also started buying products in 1 gallon/ 5 litres or whatever containers as you save quite a lot of cash.

The one area where i think you need a large selection of products is machine polishing. Theres so many different combination of pads and polishes that work differently on different types of paint and I think its important to have the right gear for paint correction. I usually detail a few cars for people over the summer so for me polishes and pads are worth keeping.

If i was only looking after my own car I'd probably selling 90% of my gear and bite the bullet once or twice a year to have it done professionally!

1st Gear

Status
    I would always do my own and a few others as a pro job but i wouldnt do it to make money anymore i just dont have the time anymore.

Here is a taster for the begining of the cull and all new (double ups)

1st Gear

Status