Help needed - White paint lookalike dots

harmless

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ive been out to wash the car today and noticed all these white dots (lines) all over the car from up the doors to rear bumper roof sides etc. it looks a right mess hadnt noticed these before as the dirt was covering them. ive definatly not been through any white paint lately..

ive tryed pressure washing them, pressure washer with spinning cleaner (not that i liked the idea but it was worth a go an it still hasnt budged them) ive given up after 2hrs of faffing around with it.
i eventally tried some G3 compound i have for when i sprayed an old car this shifted it amazingly and did leave a great finish on the parts i tried however i dont fancy having to polish the car 2times if i have to g3 the enter car.

has anyone else had this and know of some good products to use or is the g3 option the only way?

what polish do you guys recommend if i do need to g3?

pic below of a small section

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like paint overspray (neigbours painted the fence recently? a very common problem - usually with those wood stain sprayer things)

G3 is a pretty severe route to take to resolve it.

I'd start with Tardis: Autosmart Tardis | Autosmart Car Care & Detailing Products then clay it if need be: Meguiar's Quik Clay Kit | Meguiar's Car Care & Detailing Products

You will remove it by polishing but you're then moving the residue over the paint, possibly inducing marring and also G3, from my personal experience, is like liquid sandpaper so you'll be removing a lot of the car's paint too as well as leaving a less than pin sharp finish.

thanks for the reply john, ive not seen anyone spraying paint but who knows!

yeah i wasnt happy about having to use the G3 compoud - the spotts i used it on certinly made the paintwork feel so much smoother and pleasant to touch.

what does claying involve ive never done that before? if i was to use the tardis product how would i go about applying it never used it before and sounds like could do damage if not done properly?

thanks for the reply john, ive not seen anyone spraying paint but who knows!

yeah i wasnt happy about having to use the G3 compoud - the spotts i used it on certinly made the paintwork feel so much smoother and pleasant to touch.

what does claying involve ive never done that before? if i was to use the tardis product how would i go about applying it never used it before and sounds like could do damage if not done properly?

No problem;

With Tardis, follow the instructions on the product page, but essentially, after washing, spray it neat onto one panel at a time. Leave it for 30seconds to one minute, then wipe it very gently with a damp microfibre towel. Rinse thoroughly with clean water (pressure washer or hose).

Repeat, a panel at a time.

Claying; our guide is here: Decontaminating Paint | Car Care Advice | Polished Bliss

Essentially, a clay bar is an applicator pad. Suspended in the clay bar are abrasives. If you work the bar across the surface the abrasives will remove contamination. But of course that'll lead to scratching. So by using a clay lubricant, which provides a barrier layer between the paint surface and the bar, you prevent scratching.

The key things with claying;

Don't clay outside if there's anything more than a very gentle breeze.
Don't scrub at the paint; use finger tip pressure.
Keep kneading the bar with your hands to keep it soft and keep folding the dirty side into the middle of the bar.
Always keep a barrier of liquid between the paint and the clay bar; don't be shy with the lubricant; if it looks like you're going to run out, dilute it with water - better this than not enough lubricant. (Don't use a shampoo solution; it eats your clay bar)

Feel free to ask anything else!

:)

Last edited: