Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    the_wire's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    47

    Chrome Window Surrounds

    I gave my chrome window surrounds a good clean the other day, but have noticed this:





    It's almost like they've got water on them that's dried and left a water mark, and I can't seem to get rid of it.
    I've tried some generic 'metal/chrome/metal effect' cleaner, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.
    The pics above are what the chrome is like after cleaning and polishing.

    Any ideas how I can get rid of these marks?
    Cheers.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    John @ PB's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    360
    A very common problem.

    In some cases, a good quality metal polish will resolve it, in some cases, it goes beyond repair even working with a Dremel-type machine and quite an aggressive metal polish.

    I recommend using Raceglaze Alutech: Raceglaze Alutech Metal Polish | Raceglaze Car Care & Detailing Products with a Light Cut Hand Pad, cut into chunks to make it more manageable. Lake Country Light Cut Hand Pad | Heavyweight Hand Polishing Pad

    If this doesn't resolve it, I'd either try to live with it, or look at renewing it.

    In many cases, this combination has worked well though. Alutech has a combination of solvent cleaners and diminishing abrasives so is quite powerful.

  4. #3
    the_wire's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    47
    Cheers, thanks for the advice.

    What's the Alutech like if you (accidentally) get it on the paint? These chrome strips are butt right up against the paint on the doors, rear pillars, front pillars and roof, and I found it difficult, if not impossible, to keep the generic stuff I used actually on the chrome.

    Replacing them isn't really an option - IIRC they're riveted into the doors/bodywork, and require an almost full strip down of the doors and the rear quarters; so replacement isn't an option I'm afraid.

    Cheers for the reply and advice though, much appreciated.

  5. #4
    John @ PB's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wire View Post
    Cheers, thanks for the advice.

    What's the Alutech like if you (accidentally) get it on the paint? These chrome strips are butt right up against the paint on the doors, rear pillars, front pillars and roof, and I found it difficult, if not impossible, to keep the generic stuff I used actually on the chrome.

    Replacing them isn't really an option - IIRC they're riveted into the doors/bodywork, and require an almost full strip down of the doors and the rear quarters; so replacement isn't an option I'm afraid.

    Cheers for the reply and advice though, much appreciated.
    I've had a couple of customers locally who've replaced them but I don't know the process they undertook to replace. They 'might' be covered under the Audi 12year bodywork warranty?

    Try to keep Alutech off painted metal: working with a cut-down hand pad you should be able to avoid the paint but a roll of this will be your friend: 3M High Performance Masking Tape | 3M Car Care & Detailing Products


  6. #5
    DJM1982's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    392
    i have the same problem, as do many others. Replacing all the trim requires smashing the rear window and costs. I have been thinking about wrapping mine in black vinyl to make it look like the black optics kit.

    2006 Audi A4 Sline
    AMD remap to 175bhp, bilstein Shocks with Eibach 30mm lowering springs, spacers to follow very soon (then finished)

  7. #6
    danb986's Avatar
    In awe of VCDS

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    505
    I know it's probably a different type of metal, by I've had the same problem with my roof rails on an A3 Sportback.
    I started a thread here: Silver roof rails need some attention - photo's included

    I
    was recommended to get some Werkstat Prime or Klasse AIO/Carl-Lack 68 (which is the same product apparently), but I've had no luck with this stuff. It might be worth a try on yours if it's a different metal, you might have more luck.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

    Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey




  8. #7
    the_wire's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM1982 View Post
    i have the same problem, as do many others. Replacing all the trim requires smashing the rear window and costs. I have been thinking about wrapping mine in black vinyl to make it look like the black optics kit.
    Yeah, the rear quater light needs to be smashed to get the trim off.

    I'm not prepared to go down the road of smashing glass just to get these bits of trim looking good, but trimming them in black vinyl wrap might be an option if the stuff recommended above doesn't work.

    If you do yours, could you post up some pics and let us know how you get on? I'd be very interested in the results, any experience you'd have to share etc.

    Or if you get it done by a pro/fitter etc, then could you let us know who you used, any experiences good/bad etd. Like I said, very interested in this option.
    Cheers.

    Quote Originally Posted by danb986 View Post
    I know it's probably a different type of metal, by I've had the same problem with my roof rails on an A3 Sportback.
    I started a thread here: Silver roof rails need some attention - photo's included

    I
    was recommended to get some Werkstat Prime or Klasse AIO/Carl-Lack 68 (which is the same product apparently), but I've had no luck with this stuff. It might be worth a try on yours if it's a different metal, you might have more luck.
    I'm going to try some of that stuff recommended previously first, then if that doesn't work, I'll try some of the Werkstat. TBH tho, they all appear to be very similar stuff, so if one doesn't work then I'm not optimistic about the other working either.

    I think that if the cleaners don't work, then the vinyl wrap option is a valid alternative. Have to see how much this costs though....
    Last edited by the_wire; 20th August 2011 at 10:46.

  9. #8
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    327
    I have the same problem but worse..... I have all the new trim sat in my dining room waiting to be fitted but no one seems to know how

    Mines just the window trim, I don't have trim around my rear lights so no smashing required, thankfully.....


    A guy at a windscreen company say's he can fit the trim, Im in two minds but he should know how to strip the door down etc like if he was replacing a side window?

  10. #9
    danb986's Avatar
    In awe of VCDS

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM82 View Post
    Mines just the window trim, I don't have trim around my rear lights so no smashing required, thankfully.....
    Quarter light, not rear light
    When they say quarter light, they mean the small window at the back, behind the door. Not actually the rear lights.
    I haven't got one of these cars, I was just reading the thread, but from the sound of it, you have to smash the actual rear quarter light glass to be able to change the trim.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

    Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey




  11. #10
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    327
    A guy on here said he un-clipped his.....

    I wouldn't think Audi or any other car manufacture would design something where you have to smash a window to replace trim?

    The guy did mention cutting the rubber seal out but no mention of smashing the window.....

    I'll let you's know when I get mine fitted.

  12. #11
    John @ PB's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by danb986 View Post
    I know it's probably a different type of metal, by I've had the same problem with my roof rails on an A3 Sportback.
    I started a thread here: Silver roof rails need some attention - photo's included

    I
    was recommended to get some Werkstat Prime or Klasse AIO/Carl-Lack 68 (which is the same product apparently), but I've had no luck with this stuff. It might be worth a try on yours if it's a different metal, you might have more luck.
    Werkstat and Klasse/Carlack are different products. There is a myth on some of the forums that they are the same but we have written evidence from Werkstat that this is not the case; the products are different.


    Quote Originally Posted by the_wire View Post
    Yeah, the rear quater light needs to be smashed to get the trim off.

    I'm not prepared to go down the road of smashing glass just to get these bits of trim looking good, but trimming them in black vinyl wrap might be an option if the stuff recommended above doesn't work.

    If you do yours, could you post up some pics and let us know how you get on? I'd be very interested in the results, any experience you'd have to share etc.

    Or if you get it done by a pro/fitter etc, then could you let us know who you used, any experiences good/bad etd. Like I said, very interested in this option.
    Cheers.



    I'm going to try some of that stuff recommended previously first, then if that doesn't work, I'll try some of the Werkstat. TBH tho, they all appear to be very similar stuff, so if one doesn't work then I'm not optimistic about the other working either.

    I think that if the cleaners don't work, then the vinyl wrap option is a valid alternative. Have to see how much this costs though....
    Werkstat is a powerful chemical cleaner but Raceglaze Alutech is much stronger as it has both chemcial cleaners and abrasives. If Alutech doesn't work, there's no way Werkstat will.


  13. #12
    the_wire's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    47
    Cheers for the info John, helpful as always.

    BTW, I placed an order for the stuff you recommended in this thread. Cheers.

  14. #13
    danb986's Avatar
    In awe of VCDS

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by John @ PB View Post
    Werkstat and Klasse/Carlack are different products. There is a myth on some of the forums that they are the same but we have written evidence from Werkstat that this is not the case; the products are different.
    It might be a load of tosh, but Carlack themselves claim that the Werkstat stuff is an older version of Carlack 68 NSC. They say that the Carlack used to be the same as Werkstat, but they've made the Carlack more advanced now. Like I say, it's only them saying this, so it might just be marketing talk. I'm definitely not an expert in this, I'm just going by what I've read.

    I've tried both Carlack and the Werkstat Prime and there is one thing that is the same, neither of them did anything on my rails
    Last edited by danb986; 23rd August 2011 at 08:10.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

    Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey




  15. #14
    IGI
    IGI's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerleithen, Scotland
    Posts
    85
    My wifes 06 s-line a4 avant has this problem around the window trims its pretty bad. I have tried various products to shift the staining to no avail. Have given up lol...... was thinking of spraying them black or wrapping sounds good too i just hate looking at it.... spoils the car
    Anybody priced up the trim parts?
    I ve noticed a few vw's and audi's of similar age with the chrome trim fault its like the staining is in the chrome layer by polishing etc you are only polishing the clear plastic outer layer .....fake chrome trim at its best

  16. #15
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    327
    I got the trim from a VAG part specialist for £240....... I looked into the wrapping but I like the chrome, I think it adds something to the car plus I want to keep this car totally standard so......

    I've been told to keep any harsh products away from the new trim and to dry it properly after washing and apply a sealant to protect it so hopefully it'll fine.

  17. #16
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    327
    Just to add..... I first tried Audi for the trim and they quoted me £350 plus the VAT

    Yet you go to a VAG part specialist and get them for £240....... You've gotta love Audi dealers

  18. #17
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    54
    is it not possible to get a chrome vinyl wrap? just a thought. Andy.
    2000 A4 Avant 2.4 V6


  19. #18
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    327
    I've decided to leave mine as they are.... The new trim I have is up for sale on the classifieds on here........ The rear small windows do not have to be smashed to fit the surrounds, they simply clip off/on. I saw it done today but still I've decided to sell them and leave my car as it is.

    Might be getting a new car so no point in spending a fortune on trim is there

  20. #19
    vw754's Avatar
    vorsprung Durch Technik

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    1,968
    They get like this because the stuff car washes use are not properly diluted like tfr thats what causes them strong wrongly dilute wash products!
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO