Bird Poo

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
We get it and I think we all hate it.
I never thought that much about bird poo or the damage it can do to the body until it happened to me and paid a bit more attention to it.
The car got crapped on about 2 weeks ago and I thought its going to rain and that will wash it.
I was wrong, 2 weeks later and its still there.
I cleaned the car today (jet wash), went to the underground car park and started to polish the car and see what I can do about this bird poo.

With the bird poo cleaned off this is what I presented with.
Bonnet
fde12f7b.jpg

Roof
b88ae855.jpg

Roof near the front screen
06b00269.jpg

Never thought it was as bad as people made out. Had a play with some cleaning products and about 10mins later I was presented with this.
Bonnet
41615836.jpg

Roof
b8759a54.jpg

Roof near the front screen.
4c9ac638.jpg

Not bad for a first attempt.
I've learnt my lesson, i'm not going to attempt to clean off the poo as quick as possible.

I thought about carry baby wipes in the boot for this poo cleaning duties and the occasional cleaning my hands.
Are baby wipes ok for car paint? They seem fine for every thing else.
Is there any recommended products I can carry in the boot for cleaning poo?

Autoglym bird dropping wipes. They are a bit pricey but very useful...:thumbsup:

Like I said, bird dropping wipes, keep them in the glove box and try removing asap.

Like I said, bird dropping wipes, keep them in the glove box and try removing asap.

Got some vouchers for amazon, so thinking of getting some.
The price is a bit steep for the amount of wipes you get though.
Just need to hope I don't need to use them that much. :D

That's the unfortunate thing - I got through a pack of ten quite quickly as no matter how big or small the mess is you still need to use a wipe! Considering how much damage it can cause to the lacquer I would have thought 'any' type of wipe within reason would be ok, in answer to your original question.

I use the bird wipes but sometimes you get some which are a bit stuck.......I now carry a light dilution of APC and some mfs, so ill spray the APC let it work and breakdown the muck then use a bird dropping wipe.

But some people are saying dont use APC as it will strip the wax but id rather strip the wax and recoat than to try and rub the poop grit with the AG wipes

Don't ever wipe bird deposits!

The deposits are full of grit (from the bird's digestive system) so as soon as you wipe, you're moving the grit across the paint; result: some lovely scratches on your paint. I've lost count of the number of cars we've seen come to us with this problem.

The easiest way to remove is to carry a spray bottle Atomiza Generic Bottle | Atomiza Car Care & Detailing Products Atomiza Standard Spray Head | Atomiza Car Care & Detailing Products with plain water.

As soon as you spot the deposit, spray it with a mist to soften it then turn the nozzle to jet and blast it off.

Completely touchless, no risk of scratching the paint and it's cheap!

Show room shine is also awesome, just cover the poo with the spray leave it to settle for a min and then wipe off with a micro fibre cloth. doesnt leave any scratches or swirl marks. can also clean a car without water.

Greased Lightning

Show room shine is also awesome, just cover the poo with the spray leave it to settle for a min and then wipe off with a micro fibre cloth. doesnt leave any scratches or swirl marks. can also clean a car without water.

Greased Lightning

As I said above - never wipe bird droppings.

No point buying a product either when plain water will work.

(Personally - with my non-PB hat on - I tried this greased lightening stuff a year or so back. Any claims it doesn't leave scratches or swirl marks clearly involve inspecting the paint in the dark..... The result was pretty shocking.)

i first saw the damage bird poo can do on a new ford focus back in 2002, black focus a friend had, he didnt know either, bird strike ruined his roof, pitted the paint and woulndt really polish out..... i guess its the acid in the poop