Viro-sol...Wheel cleaning....

a3_dan

Reaction score
Anybody use this for cleaning their wheels? How does it compare to the dedicated wheel cleaners such as Iron-x and Wolfs etc?

Thanks,
Dan

I just bought some decon gel mate, i tried it, and yes its amazing stuff, but two of my TT wheels are still so black inside, they are just so hard to clean up! Should i just try again and maybe take the wheels off this time for better access?

Thanks,
Dan

I just bought some decon gel mate, i tried it, and yes its amazing stuff, but two of my TT wheels are still so black inside, they are just so hard to clean up! Should i just try again and maybe take the wheels off this time for better access?

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, that's probably the best bet. I have left Decon gel on really bad wheels for several hours with no issues (obviously take care if you do this yourself - it's at your own risk!) and great results.

:)

Ok, I tried this over the weekend and my two passenger side wheels are still rotten inside :-(
What else do you suggest I do?
I will try take some pics tonight so you can see what im dealing with!

Hi Dan,

It could be tar build up, so you may need to de-tar the wheels using Tardis (or something similar), as Wolf's and Iron X and other wheel cleaners don't always remove this. You might need to use a stronger acid wheel cleaner or clay bar to help remove stubborn contaminants. It all depends on what is on the wheels.

As you say, put some pics up so we can help a bit more.

Rog:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Right guys, Please see below pics, one is of 1 of my 2 of my wheels that are built up with this black hard to budge stuff, and i have also put a pic of 1 of my other 2 wheels which as you can see are mint.... any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Megs wheel brightener mate shifts everything, then seal them so you can clean with a none acidic gel!

Right guys, Please see below pics, one is of 1 of my 2 of my wheels that are built up with this black hard to budge stuff, and i have also put a pic of 1 of my other 2 wheels which as you can see are mint.... any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I have wonder wheels lying around in my shed or is that a big no no??

Thanks
Dan

Wonder wheels will shift it, but dont leave it on long at all, 30 secs, and make sure you rinse it thouroughly before a good layer of protection. It might take a couple of coats but its better a couple of coats for a short time than leaving it on for too long. After you've protected properly, never use it again!!!

ha thanks for the tip, Is megs wheel brightener the better option then?

cool ok, i will give this a go over the weekend and let you know how it goes, you think wonder wheels will shift this black hard stuff? As two attempts of wolfs had no effect...

Ta

That looks like the surface has started to corrode.

Wonder Wheels 'might' work - however, if the surface has bubbled, the product can get under the paint/lacquer and lift it. Meguiar's Wheel Brightener is probably even more aggressive than Wonder Wheels.

I'd try Tardis first to remove as much tar build up as possible and then see what you're left with. It does look like a refurb might be the only option.

Ah dammit, I was afraid someone might say they need a refurb.

I will try the WW, as like I said, I have some lying around in my shed. Why would the alloys be this bad on an 09 plate? My two drivers side wheels are pristine! The two passenger side wheels are both bad, weird!

Ah dammit, I was afraid someone might say they need a refurb.

I will try the WW, as like I said, I have some lying around in my shed. Why would the alloys be this bad on an 09 plate? My two drivers side wheels are pristine! The two passenger side wheels are both bad, weird!

Have you had the car from new? If not, it could be that maybe one side has had the wheels replaced or repainted at some point?

I've seen cars of this age with badly corroded wheels - usually as a result of lack of washing but often due to the use of very strong wheel cleaners but it is a little bit odd that it's just on one side.

Try Wonder Wheels and give Tardis a go as well.

That looks like tar/grease build up to me mate, use Tardis to remove it, wonder wheels and other wheel acids are good for baked on brake dust and road film, but not tar!

Take the wheels off for better access too.

Put some pics up once you've done it :icon_thumright:

Rog

Right guys, I had some time today to get the two wheels off, and I used Wonder Wheels, and a washing up brush, and this done the trick....but blimey did i need to use some serious elbow grease!!!!!

I then sealed with some poorboys wheel sealent! Im hoping my wheels will remain mint now!!!

Thanks for the advice folks!