Drying techniques

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
What's the best way to dry your car while minimising scratches?

Towel or chamois? Wipe or pat? Any products used?

Personally I use two large MF towels and wipe softly back and forth all over, and also spray some detailer all over before drying to aid in a glossy streak free finish. Only thing is that I'm not sure if this is removing the coat of wax too quickly.

Any tips welcome :beerchug:

Massive MF Towel laid out flat let it soak up most of the water and then pat and lift. Make sure you do the lowers and sills last and dab dry. I have never heard of spraying QD over the panels before drying, there is no need to wipe back and forth if you pat/dab dry.. The down side to pat and dab drying is that your neighbours,friends,family, and general public all look at you in a very strange way some will even say you are a little crazy..

you can use a drying aid when it comes to help drying the car. "dodo time to dry" helps increase sheeting and breaks down the beading aswel as lubricate the panels to minimise scratching the paint, but like colin has said the safest way to dry a car is pat dry the panels. once you have dried the car use a QD of your choice to bring back the beading/gloss that time to dry takes away and then sit back and enjoy

I've started pat-drying mine with a M/F recently; I find it's only really needed on the roof & bonnet because there's so little water left on the vertical panels after sheeting with water for the final rinse. These I tend to lightly wipe off. But it definitely attracts comments from the neighbours to complement the "you'll wash the paint off that", "will you do mine for a fiver" and "are you stroking your car?" comments I normally get.

I always use a chamois. And then I use demon shine to make it look shiny.

may aswel get yourself a decent M/F drying towel mate and ditch that 80's £2 car wash tool of a chamois mate.

demon shine will make it look shiney but for around 2-3 days and then its gone so ditch that too and get some advice off the boys for some decent products to make your Audi shine

i use auto glym chamois tried using a m/f cloth didnt give great result in my opinion easyist way to remove water marks is to put an inline filter in the water hose line this reduces the amount of particles in the water that cause water spots to appear that way you can use the foam lance with your washing shampoo inside and go over whole car then wash down and should not leave any water marks.

Cheers for the advice guys.

What do you mean by 'sheeting' with water when rinsing? And does this technique minimise the water marks?

The main problem I have is dried on water marks if I dont dry off properly, which is why I started using a QD as a drying aid as it helped. Have you got any tips to reduce the water marks other than what I'm already doing?

by 'sheeting' they mean using an open ended hose to remove and dirt or soapy water after washing. if there is any dust in the air it will be caught by water on the paint surface so water marks are fairly unavoidable. A decent microfibe/drying towel and detailer is the only way to leave it gleaming!

agree with colin and grant mf towels are the way forward and so is water sheeting it makes drying a car so much easyer and after every wash on my car i always use some quick detailer to give it some protection between washes and waxes

agree with colin and grant mf towels are the way forward and so is water sheeting it makes drying a car so much easyer and after every wash on my car i always use some quick detailer to give it some protection between washes and waxes

Sound... so pretty much what I have been doing up until now anyway which is good.

The only thing which is new to me is 'sheeting' which I tried last weekend and worked very well - hardly any water left on the car to dry off :)