Badger5EM Tuning
    Lord Of The Rings

Status

Exclamation Best Clay Bar / Kits ?

What is the clay bar manufacturer or doesn't it really make a difference ?

I was going to get a meguiars smooth surface kit but I've seen a lot of cheap clay bars on ebay and I'm not sure if these will damage the paintwork or just crumble on me.

Any recommendations?
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

2. # ADS
    ADS

CMD
    Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Status
    The clay will not damage your paint as long as you use a lubricant..

6th Gear

Status
    I just bought and used the Meguiars smooth surface kit, easier than I thought, think it was £24 in Halfords.

I would imagine you could get the same quality goods on eBay for a lot less, you will just have to look at the sellers feedback and see what people have said in their feedback comments about the clay bar.

Otherwise, just think that for the price of a chinese takeaway you can get a kit that does work.

TDIPOWARRR

Status

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StateOfPlay View Post
    I just bought and used the Meguiars smooth surface kit, easier than I thought, think it was £24 in Halfords.

I would imagine you could get the same quality goods on eBay for a lot less, you will just have to look at the sellers feedback and see what people have said in their feedback comments about the clay bar.

Otherwise, just think that for the price of a chinese takeaway you can get a kit that does work.
    £24?! We sell them at £16 (and you can have free delivery!) Meguiar's Quik Clay Kit | Meguiar's Car Care & Detailing Products

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Thanks for all the replies guys

Quote Originally Posted by John @ PB View Post
    £24?! We sell them at £16 (and you can have free delivery!) Meguiar's Quik Clay Kit | Meguiar's Car Care & Detailing Products

I think the reason the holfords kit is a little bit more is because you get 1 x 473ml bottle of detailer , 1 x 118ml bottle of wax , 2 x 50g clay bars (with case) and a microfiber cloth

And from the looks of it your kit just comes with the detailer and a small clay bar.

Very good site you have there
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

6th Gear

Status
    Yep, the Halfords kit has more in it. £ days on the car still looks the bees knees. Well happy with that. Supaguard off, Meguairs on, lovely jubbly!

Gonna clay bar the wife's peugoooh this weekend, that should get me some brownie points.

Reverse Gear

Status
    New to all this, but bought a Bilt-Hamber Auto Clay bar from an e-bay seller. Used today, very pleased with the results. 200g bar for about 10 quid. So only works out at 2.50(quarter of the bar) to clay the whole car using water as a lube.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Workshy View Post
    New to all this, but bought a Bilt-Hamber Auto Clay bar from an e-bay seller. Used today, very pleased with the results. 200g bar for about 10 quid. So only works out at 2.50(quarter of the bar) to clay the whole car using water as a lube.
    I've read a lot of good things about bilt hamber clay bars.

Did you get the original or the soft one?

Its good that you can just use water but i think I've read that its best to use a bit of car shampoo.

How did it hold up (did it fell like it was going to fall apart) ?

And did it feel like you could get more than one use out of it?

6th Gear

Status
    How often do you clay bar your car?

TDIPOWARRR

Status
    I clay mine twice a year, although this year i've already done it twice because it got covered in pollen and the only thing that would take it off was the clay bar.

Chugger

Status
    I just use the clay with quick detailing spray, same as the meguires kit. Then all you need is a quick polish and then it shines!
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

5th Gear

Status
    Meguires is the best I found. Plus you if you leave the clay bar in some hot soapy water for a few hours all the dirt comes out of it and it can be re-used!
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishS3 View Post
    Meguires is the best I found. Plus you if you leave the clay bar in some hot soapy water for a few hours all the dirt comes out of it and it can be re-used!
    Thanks for the tip, will do!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I got the regular bilt hamber clay bar.

No it didn't fall apart at all.

Only used a quarter of it so it's good for a lot of claying.

As i said i'm new to this so i didn't de-tar the car first, prob should have as there was loads of it the lower i got. However it dosen't seem to have done the paint any harm but the quarter i used was good for the bin by the time i had finished going round the bottom of the car. Will deff use tardis or something similar before i clay my bike.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Hmmm....

Could you do this with bilt hamber ?

For me i think its a toss up between the bilt hamber regular and the soft.

The auto express review (and a lot of forums) say the soft is the best:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/230073/clay_bars_test.html

IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT

Status
    sonus clay bar with poor boys or dodojuice lube works perfect every time ive used the megs clay bar it is great although i found the sonus bar to work better picks more inperfections up than the megs bar there are far better ones out there but depends on the money you want to spend.

6th Gear

Status
    Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    i use 3M blue clay bar had the megs kit previously gotta say the 3M clay is in a different league and i had two 250g bars from some one on detailing world for not alot of cash too i u detailer diluted works a treat
    My A4 Detailed and finished with Zymol Glasur
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detaili...ol-glasur.html

A4 S-Line SE 220BHp with full Black pack With black badge (rear one still to fit) two tone Leather, Bose, phone prep in centre arm rest, IPOD conection RS4 pedals suede gear knob handbrake and steering wheel R8 oil Cap

IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT

Status
    i heard good things about the 3m clay is that the soft clay the blue?

6th Gear

Status
    Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    think its soft/medium not 100% it is awesome and the bars are huge!
    My A4 Detailed and finished with Zymol Glasur
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detaili...ol-glasur.html

A4 S-Line SE 220BHp with full Black pack With black badge (rear one still to fit) two tone Leather, Bose, phone prep in centre arm rest, IPOD conection RS4 pedals suede gear knob handbrake and steering wheel R8 oil Cap

1st Gear

Status
    3M clay is supposed to be the mut's nuts although i have never used it, bilt hamber is also very very good clay