Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    5th Gear

Status

Cleaning exhausts, best product/process?

HI, the miltek's seen better days, what's the easiest way to clean it back up? I've got metal polish but after giving it a blast, there's still loads of black deposits on it.

Should I take a scourer pad to it? Or will this end up scratching it?
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

2. # ADS
    ADS

CMD
    Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Status
    Use steel wool, buy both types. Mix a little dab of metal polish paste onto the wool and plenty of elbow power.. I will be doilng my full system soon.. Once you have borken down the black spots you can just use metal polish and a cloth to work on the shine..
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.

WWW.PR-DETAILING.CO.UK CERTIFIED DETAILERS

5th Gear

Status
    sorry, what do you mean by both types?
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Audi novice handle with care

Status
    autosol is great stuff....

CMD
    Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by razza1 View Post
    sorry, what do you mean by both types?
    Fine grade 00 Is for finish (use 2nd)
    Grade1 is for preparation (use 1st).
    Grade3 is for rust removal/ very coarse..
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.

WWW.PR-DETAILING.CO.UK CERTIFIED DETAILERS

5th Gear

Status
    both types of wire wool he meant. You get different grades. Go for a heavy/medium and fine. Work your way up, I think heavy may be overkill start with a medium with some metal polish.
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

5th Gear

Status
    thanks guys

2nd Gear

Status
    Grade 00 is WAY too harsh - it'll leave minor marks and scratches in the metal.

We'll only ever use 0000 grade.

If the exhaust isn't too bad, use a Light Cut Foam Pad: Lake Country Light Cut Hand Pad | Lake Country Car Care & Detailing Products with RaceGlaze Alutech Metal Polish: Raceglaze Alutech Metal Polish | Raceglaze Car Care & Detailing Products

5th Gear

Status
    hmmm, maybe I'll just have to get out the elbow grease then...

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    dont know about you guys but the tips on my last two cars have hardly changed with any grade of wire wool, autosol or indeed the Britemax twins

Ive ended up using a wire drill bit (sometimes a grinding bit!), then reducing the grades and finishing off with a wool bit used in conjunction with autosol - worrying as you scratch the crap out of the metal, but its soft enough get polished back up and far more effortless than wire wooling your life away

just what works for me, i assume i'll get shot to **** now
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Neutral

Status
    Autosol is actually the best ive come across. Will get anything out.. well maybe not anything.

I need to do mine this weekend so i hope i dont eat my own words! haha

- Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI - Mauritius Blue - Full Leather -

- Lasting Impressions Detailing - matthewwheeler1989@sky.com for details -

5th Gear

Status
    autosol worked (found some in the garage) with some wire wool, followed my meguirs metal polish, was a bit late when I got started so hopefully in daylight it will look good the insides need something harsh to get clean though

5th Gear

Status

still very black inside, the wool made no impact on it at all

4th Gear

Status
    Autosol, a rough polishing cloth and elbow grease. Mine came up like new.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

Fully Certified Detailer!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by razza1 View Post
    autosol worked (found some in the garage) with some wire wool, followed my meguirs metal polish, was a bit late when I got started so hopefully in daylight it will look good the insides need something harsh to get clean though

some serious swirling in that paint mate lol(thats the detailer in me lol)

looking good mate, Autosol is tip top when it comes to metal. how bad were the exhausts in the first place, wouldnt of thought a milltek on an 07 would be that bad. should be able to come up a treat inside and out

5th Gear

Status
    I know, its not great all over to be honest, the tip edges of the exhausts were quite bad, the rest came up really easily, not much elbow needed to be honest

The inside seems very caked in stuff, was late though and was tired, so couldn't be bothered to try any more, will try again later this week on the inside.

What's a rough cost of detailing to get rid of swirl marks (over the whole car...)?