Tar Remover before Claying

Scott_Hol

Reaction score
Hi

As title states do i really need to use tar remover before claying aslong as i lube the car well? obviously most of you would recommend it but i havent got any ready for a good detail tommorow. Depending on replies ill probly pop to halfords tommorow, they sell it right?

Cheers

It all depends what state your motor is in mate I suppose but using a tar & glue remover is going to strip whatever protection is on there right back and so you will be starting from scratch with the bare paint. If your using a fine clay like megs its only going to strip whatever protection you have partially. I dont think it matters how much lubricant you use, if the tough stuff doesn't want to shift it's going to stuck no matter how much lube you chuck at it. It's always good to use plenty of lubricant but it isn't going to do the job of Tardis or something similar.

It all depends what state your motor is in mate I suppose but using a tar & glue remover is going to strip whatever protection is on there right back and so you will be starting from scratch with the bare paint. If your using a fine clay like megs its only going to strip whatever protection you have partially. I dont think it matters how much lubricant you use, if the tough stuff doesn't want to shift it's going to stuck no matter how much lube you chuck at it. It's always good to use plenty of lubricant but it isn't going to do the job of Tardis or something similar.
Paint work isnt in bad condition just want to get all the road tar off as there are quite a few black spots on the side just dont want them to make the paint work worse when i clay over them

Fair do's, in that case I would source some tar remover then. It isn't going to hurt and it will make the job of claying that much easier.

They will sell something that doest the job yeah, Autoglym or something similiar is probably the best you can hope for but it will do the job mate.

megs tar remover they sell which is good stuff and its smells of coconuts :)

Autosmart tardis is the best but its impossible to get hold of in normal shops as its a trade product.

I just use cellulose thinnners, be careful and its great! I've also used WD40 in the past, suprisingly good and getting it off too.

I'd go with the Megs if I were you chap :ermm:

As above, Scott. AS Tardis is the one to go for if you can.

AS Tardis - Autosmart Tardis - Tar & Glue Remover - 5 litres - Elite Car Care

Obviously though you probably wont be wanting a whole 5ltrs to yourself.. Perhaps contact some local friends who want to go halves?! A chemical sprayhead and a bottle each and then you're laughing!

Example. Ford Mondeo ST200.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

Alternatively, then yeah, Halfords do a few themslves; Autoglym tar and glue and then the above mentioned Megs tar remover

Tardis all the way, nothing else comes close, autoglym's tar remover is ok, but megs tar remover I think is one of the worst on the market.