HELP!!! blown clutch, possible blown tranny...need

Lil_Beth67

Reaction score
While testing out the fun S4 drive, at lets just say something well north of the speed limit, my boyfriend passed a cop. When he turned a corner and braked hard at the same time the clutch gave out. After $3k already shot to have tham take it apart, dealer says clutch, fly wheel, etc. (basically the whole shebang) is shattered, in pieces, etc. Brakes were blue - which I guess shows how hard he braked. They're saying "massive abuse" and "not warranty." Also, they won't know if tranny is gone till they put clutch back together and test it. If problem, then another $3k to take it apart again!

HELP!!! What are my options here? It is a CPO beaut with only 16k miles on it. Been driven politely heretofor. I have to wait till Monday for parts to come in, so I have a little time to explore options.

1. Can I fight "no warranty" decision? If so, how?

2. Will comprehensive auto insurance cover this or is this considered wear and tear or mechanical breakage?

3. How much will a new tranny likely cost on top of the $6k I already know about?

4. If I do non-authorized shop repairs (like one post I saw for someone who could do it cheaper) will that void my warranty? (Probably). What is value of warranty? At what cost of repairs does this become "worth it"?

HELP HELP HELP...I don't want to shell out 6k+ for a silly driving mishap.

[ QUOTE ]
Lil Beth said:
While testing out the fun S4 drive, at lets just say something well north of the speed limit, my boyfriend passed a cop. When he turned a corner and braked hard at the same time the clutch gave out. After $3k already shot to have tham take it apart, dealer says clutch, fly wheel, etc. (basically the whole shebang) is shattered, in pieces, etc. Brakes were blue - which I guess shows how hard he braked. They're saying "massive abuse" and "not warranty." Also, they won't know if tranny is gone till they put clutch back together and test it. If problem, then another $3k to take it apart again!

HELP!!! What are my options here? It is a CPO beaut with only 16k miles on it. Been driven politely heretofor. I have to wait till Monday for parts to come in, so I have a little time to explore options.

1. Can I fight "no warranty" decision? If so, how?

2. Will comprehensive auto insurance cover this or is this considered wear and tear or mechanical breakage?

3. How much will a new tranny likely cost on top of the $6k I already know about?

4. If I do non-authorized shop repairs (like one post I saw for someone who could do it cheaper) will that void my warranty? (Probably). What is value of warranty? At what cost of repairs does this become "worth it"?

HELP HELP HELP...I don't want to shell out 6k+ for a silly driving mishap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how they can tell? What is wrong with braking hard, if the S4 is capable of speeds in excess if 150mph then you should be able to brake safely, on the other had how do you make the brake disc's blue? the car has ABS and should be able to easily handle stopping.

3k to remove a gearbox? holy crap thats expensive its about 4 hours labour to remove the gearbox, 8 hours all in to change a clutch at $150 a hour thats still less than 1.5k all in, plus parts.

6k to change a clutch is obscene and either you are a troll or are being ripped off, and I advise you to take your car elsewhere

Due to new law's in Europe we can take our car to any garage to do repairs/servicing as long as they adhere to Audi's schedule and parts, I dont know about America.

Get on to AoA and ask them to prove how your car was abused? very hard for them to do unless its been tracked, thats what you bought a S4 for, to drive fast and stop fast.

Here here i agree. If you have no luck then i would seek legal advice. S4 is a performance car which is designed to cope with hard acceleration and braking in any direction. Make them prove the car has been abused and if they cant, its still under warranty and they must adhere to it as obviously the car had major faults and luckily noone was seriously injured! Crazy to pay those prices you are being ripped off! Seek legal representation if the manager is unwilling to help!

Glad it all seems to be working out for you Beth. The cars are lovely......your Ex must be gutted handing over the S4 but i bet you aint complaining! Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif