Tips on cleaing engine and bay please :)

camscockle20vT

The stigs ugly brother
Reaction score
Hey all audi fans, i have an a3 1.8t and i want to get the engine block clean and free of oil, what products would be best? Would general degreaser do the job just as good.

Many thanks :)

or for those of us with less time on our hands....Gunk and hot water does a passable job :)

megs APC will do the job, its all about time. if you want the bay to look the nuts then obviously take some time and do it properly. just make sure everything you see is nice and clean and looks like it should, if you see anything that you think anyone else will see then clean it. to the bits you cant get at try your best and that is all you can do. nothing better than a nice fresh bay to look at

Thanks lads, i was just worrid about all the electricals and coilpacks but i used some orange smelling de greaser and wiped clean with some tissue... cheap and cheerfull all the way lol. thanks again for the tips.

if it works then why not mate. get some pics up of the bay all shiney and clean

i use DW40 and a cloth.

always looks good once its done :)

If you have alot of plastics in the engine bay it will cover alot of the dirt you dont see up well. When i first got mine i went over it with Autoglym engine and machine cleaner sprayed all over got a detailing brush went over everything.

Then just simply pressure washed over everything quickly and dried.

I was worried at first with the PW but i did use it very liberally and i dont have an open intake so it was a quick spray over and then turn engine on and dry it.

Some pics
DSC_0014.jpg

Pics of my last engine bay, Mostly metal i had to graft hard and polish like anything, The inlet manifold had alot of magnesium so didnt polish to well.

dsc02408d.jpg

I would recommend you to use Turtle Wax engine cleaner or GUNK engine cleaner. Extremely efficient cleaners.
They removes oil, grease, etc...Then clean with some water, and finally use some Silicone Spray for the non-metallic parts.

Hi lads thanks for all the tips and advice. Would it be an idea to remove my coilpacks and stuff abit of rag in each hole, so i can get the last bits of grime from around them or am i suffering from OCD or OAD as may be the case lol. Thanks agen.

You could do just don't get a fluid,products in there