The Detail Begins - Audi S3 (HD Video content inside)

Mr.G

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've taken some time off work in this lovely weather, purchased the entire range of G Techniq products (almost) and thought what better time to perform a Light Detail on the car.

The detail will take me approximately 4/5 days, in which I hope to achieve the best possible finish on the car. Taking my time on each stage and documenting it fully is what I intend to do, hopefully it will show how good the G Techniq product range is.

I've had paint depth gauge readings taken (last week) and they vary from 340 (obviously it's had paint at some point) to 150. I know how much I have to play with and am looking to remove the least amount of clear coat, while as I've already said getting the best possible results.

The main purpose of the detail is to remove minor swirls and marring and also to remove any products that have built up over the last 6 months. I intend to use the G Techniq products I purchased and want a perfectly clean surface for the C1 to bond with post polishing/refining stage, without the detail and subsequent removal of the products already on the car C1 will not bond to the surface and at £40 for 30ml it's not cheap to have to do it twice.

So to start with I have an HD Video (iPhone4) taken of the car's current state. I've just rinsed the car in the video and wanted to show the current protection level on the car. All the glass is currently wearing G Techniq G1 and therefore has no need of any work. I'm sure you'll agree G1 is very very hydrophobic.

The additional stages of the detail will come as they are completed, I want to take my time with this "final" detail of the S3, if it takes me a week then....it does!

Please note that the video is available to view in 720p, if it doesn't default to it upon pressing play, please manually select it.

Next stage....Paint inspection, Video and Images to come, watch this space.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking forward to seeing this mate, i shall be performing a detail like this on mine when show season is upon me in june.

i like the protection that C1 gives so might invest in G Techniq

I forgot to mention that the protection seen on the car in the video is from Victoria Concourse wax on the hood and DoDo Juice Supernatural on the Side panels.

The only G Techniq products applied are to the glass alone.

Inspection of the paint defects.

It's rather tricky trying to hold a halogen lamp and an iPhone while walking around the car searching for defects, so you'll have to excuse the angles and bad video skills. It's a stage i didn't want to miss showing. Some swirl marks are present along with some holograms.

A further video showing the hood which has had 1 pass of P1 on a wool pad, the swirls were reluctant to come out with a foam pad so I opted for wool and cut down the number of passes. I hope that with some further refinement using the soft foam pad that the finish will be as I expect.

Tomorrows work will carry on at 12pm rather than 8am as my cable on the Rotary needs a repair before I can use it again.

nice to see a change with some vids of the whole process mate

Nice fella, what rotary are you currently using? Had a crack at my arches yesterday and C4'd the lot. Sealed the wheels with C5 and will be correcting and protecting with C2 concentrate later next month, when I eventually get the time!!!

1a7bf464.jpg

Nice fella, what rotary are you currently using? Had a crack at my arches yesterday and C4'd the lot. Sealed the wheels with C5 and will be correcting and protecting with C2 concentrate later next month, when I eventually get the time!!!

Thanks.

Using a Felisatti PA4/20EC at the moment, its' not bad at all. The cable started to come loose and I didn't have any tools with me to repair. It's all done now though, tested and works fine thankfully. I'd like a new 3M one as I've heard some good things about them, supposed to be very light and easy to handle.

Your arches look lovely mate, some hard graft went into those I bet. I'm gonna wait until I have access to my mates ramps so I can give mine a good clean, I'll use C4 as well as I've got two 30ml bottles to get through lol.

G

Two?? Blimey fella, I barely used a 15ml on the whole car! But will be using the rest of the bottle on the R8 no doubt, those ****** bumper vent...plastic things!