COBRA (PIC HEAVY)

CMD

Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
We were asked late last year to take a look at 20+ year old Cobra's paint. The owner built the car from scratch way back in the day. The car had won the odd show in it's prime, as most of the part's were sourced direct from the good old USA.

Product's Used.

ph Neutral Snow Foam.
Zaino Z-18 Clay
Menz fg500, po85rd3.02, p0106fa
3M 50417
LC ccs pads.
IPA
PB black Hole
DDJ S N Wax
Megs nxt Metal Polish
PB wheel sealent.

The car was very clean as only used when weather permitted (Summer Months)

Weekend 1.

IMG_0161-1.jpg

Pretty Clean Paint
IMG_0174-3-1.jpg

After drying the car we rolled the car inside to take a closer look at the paint, the owner said over the year's he has noticed alot of orange peel on the panel's. So we hit the light's to take a look

Orange peel was very evident along with major swirls.

IMG_0183-1.jpg

The orange peel was letting down the paint even after a few passes.

3M 50417 Fast Cut.
IMG_0196-1-1.jpg

To Knock back the orange peel, wet sanding was required.

IMG_0243-2.jpg

Wet sanding done. Weekend 2.

First of we tried a few passes with Menz fg500 using a LC CCS Yellow Cutting Pad. But we felt the Menz was not giving us the results we wanted.

50/50 Menz fg500.

So it was time to pull out 3M 50417 Fast Cut Plus.

Result's were Good.

After bending over for what felt like day's we had hit the right combo and was time to start working on the sides of the car.. Lift time..

IMG_0266-3.jpg

IMG_0264-1-1.jpg

The final details

IMG_0270-1.jpg

IMG_0274-1.jpg

IMG_0279-1.jpg

We were unable to take the car out side due to a very late finish (9pm)
I will update as soon as possable.

IMG_0281-2.jpg

Last edited:
i loved working on this, hard graft but when we were seeing the results we were getting it was well worth it, absolutely stunning car.

IMG_0243-2.jpg

*gulp*

****** hell boys. You don't mess about! Takes some balls to do that! ;)

What was the flatting process?! Your lowest & highest papers...?

Very well done - nice work. Here's to hoping the car goes on now to win more shows!

wow amazing work boyo's i bet that motor is worth a few quid lol no wonder you both looked a bit tired on sunday lol

WOW!!!

Great job you have done there guys....

****** hell boys. You don't mess about! Takes some balls to do that! ;)

What was the flatting process?! Your lowest & highest papers...?

Very well done - nice work. Here's to hoping the car goes on now to win more shows!

Hi Jim, well as you know this car has no lacquer (solid colour)
These grades of paper used #1000> #1500 > #2000> #2500>. The paper was soaked in water (Large bucket). Add a little washing up liquid with clean water into a large spray bottle, the washing up liquid will help to prevent the paper clogging and will help the paper to glide, use a block on flat panels (not many on this cobra) and just your hand for the curves, wash down between stages and inspect. Tip cut your wd paper into four pieces (parm size).

Hi guys,
I see that you have now moved up to another level in the old detailing and I must say that the results look stunning. Well done and I hope the client appreciates all your hadr work.!!!

Hi guys,
I see that you have now moved up to another level in the old detailing and I must say that the results look stunning. Well done and I hope the client appreciates all your hadr work.!!!

Thanks Mickray. The owner was over the moon updated pics to come

Quality workmanship, nice one

Many thanks, hard work but well worth it.

Well after the epic paint correction on the Cobra we never had the chance to take any photo's outside in natural daylight.

This was our first time seeing the car outside in the open.

IMG_0587-1-1-1.jpg

IMG_0564-1.jpg

IMG_0580-1.jpg

IMG_0591-1.jpg

Last edited:
Missed this, the outside photo's really do it justice, well done.

Thanks both, the owner was very pleased.