Oxidised red paint terminal?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
The car in question is my runabout 1995 Toyota Rav4, it has very little value, but I've been driving the thing from new, so sentimentally, it's a keeper.

I've machine polished the paint twice in the past, but it just keeps going back to the dull pink finish over time, and I don't think there's much paint left for me to machine polish! lol

Anyways, short of giving it a respray, is there a better way to keep it looking fresh after a polish, using better quality waxes maybe, or even waxing it twice?

get as much polish on it mate, over time the oils in the polish should start to soak into the paint and keep the colour to its natural red, get some good wax on there with atleast 3 coats to lock in the oils. hopefully this should keep the car from oxidising more but just keep up with the polishing and waxing every month until its fully sorted. this will take time but should sort it jojo

get as much polish on it mate, over time the oils in the polish should start to soak into the paint and keep the colour to its natural red, get some good wax on there with atleast 3 coats to lock in the oils. hopefully this should keep the car from oxidising more but just keep up with the polishing and waxing every month until its fully sorted. this will take time but should sort it jojo

Thanks Grant, I think the keeping on top of thing is key, I tend to do it once then let it fade, so my bad, but looking after multiple number of cars is hard work! lol

Cheers.

Sorry mate but that's not true - the oils won't penetrate the paint structure.

Each time you polish (a product with abrasives) you remove a small portion of paint, revealing an unblemised layer below. Obviously, if you polish too often, you'll remove too much paint and risk paint system failure.

The fading you are experiencing is due to the sun bleaching the paint. I am pretty sure Rav4s of that age had no clearcoat and are a single stage type paint (similar to Vauxhalls of the same vintage and even current red VXRs.....)

The best plan would be to polish once again to get the red back and apply a product with a high level of UV protection (similar principle to suncream) to slow the effects of the sun and UV bleaching the paint.

Wolf's Chemical's Body Wrap will be a good choice: Wolf's Chemicals Nano Paint Sealant (Body Wrap) | Wolf's Chemicals Car Care & Detailing Products as will Nanolex Premium Paint Sealant Nanolex Premium Paint & Alloy Sealant | Nanolex Car Care & Detailing Products

Werkstat Carnauba Jett will also offer protection: it's less durable than the other two, but is ultra easy to apply and top up: Werkstat Carnauba Jett | Werkstat Car Care & Detailing Products

You'll probably never cure this problem, it's something you'll have to manage over time - might be good to find someone near you with a paint depth gauge who can let you know how much paint you have left.

I'm guessing on a car of that age (and presumably value) a respray is quite a step. If you do get it resprayed, make sure it's lacquered (clear coated).

Once polished up would a generous treatment of a pre wax cleaner help, are they supposed to be rich in oils and non abrasive?

Sorry mate but that's not true - the oils won't penetrate the paint structure.

Each time you polish (a product with abrasives) you remove a small portion of paint, revealing an unblemised layer below. Obviously, if you polish too often, you'll remove too much paint and risk paint system failure.

The fading you are experiencing is due to the sun bleaching the paint. I am pretty sure Rav4s of that age had no clearcoat and are a single stage type paint (similar to Vauxhalls of the same vintage and even current red VXRs.....)

The best plan would be to polish once again to get the red back and apply a product with a high level of UV protection (similar principle to suncream) to slow the effects of the sun and UV bleaching the paint.

Wolf's Chemical's Body Wrap will be a good choice: Wolf's Chemicals Nano Paint Sealant (Body Wrap) | Wolf's Chemicals Car Care & Detailing Products as will Nanolex Premium Paint Sealant Nanolex Premium Paint & Alloy Sealant | Nanolex Car Care & Detailing Products

Werkstat Carnauba Jett will also offer protection: it's less durable than the other two, but is ultra easy to apply and top up: Werkstat Carnauba Jett | Werkstat Car Care & Detailing Products

You'll probably never cure this problem, it's something you'll have to manage over time - might be good to find someone near you with a paint depth gauge who can let you know how much paint you have left.

I'm guessing on a car of that age (and presumably value) a respray is quite a step. If you do get it resprayed, make sure it's lacquered (clear coated).
cheers

I'd suggest once re-polished like John recommends (provided you still have enough paint depth to play with) you could use something like G-Techniq C1 (provided Rob @ G-Techniq says its safe to) to seal in that fresh polished surface, one of the highest UV ratings possible on car products.

Oils are only useful on Lacquered surfaces.

G

Here's a link to the product...some nice video's of the products in action. I've the complete set of G-Techniq products including the polishing heads and correction fluids. I've also used C1 which is an outstanding product, tell you the truth they all are.

Exterior Coatings // G|Techniq

Hope you get it sorted. If you were closer I'd help you get the job done and we could use some of my G-Techniq stuff to see how it takes.

G

I will have a look later on Mr.G, thanks.

I currently have at my disposal Autogleam Super Resin Polish & Extra Gloss protection, Meguiars Gold Class Wax and a pot of Swissvax Best of Show. So see how it goes.