to wax or not to wax

a4 cabrio

Reaction score
i am planning on giving my car its 1st thorough washing tomorrow since i got it 3 weeks ago. i have bought various autoglym products.......now my plan is to use the autoglym bodywork shampoo, then go over the car with a clay bar. after using the clay bar, would i be right in using autoglym super resin polish and then finally autoglym extra gloss protection?????

i just thought i would have to finish off with a wax, but a friend has said finishing off with the extra gloss protection will give the car a great shine and will be good enough, would that advice be right???

thanks

The wax will provide protection and always is the final step.

I would wash it again after the claying to get rid of any clay residue. You have a choice with your last step product. You have waxes and sealants, waxes have natural products in and sealants are synthetic. Your friend is right EGP will do as a last stage product as it is a sealant, you can then go over it with a wax if you want but not really necessary. The SRP and EGP are designed to work together too. What is important is you get some sort of protection on there.

You should always finish with a wax or sealant. I don't think the extra gloss protection is a great product to be honest. I've used it on a few cars but it hasnt been as durable as the other waxes on the market.

Which wax? Depends on your budget, how often you are prepared to wax the car, and which type of wax you prefer to use (liquid or paste).

I gave my liquid blue a3 one coat of valentines wax (Carnauba wax for the finest cars  - Valentine's  Concours and Road 'n Track waxes) at the start of January and it still looks like it was put on yesterday! Really easy stuff to work with and great durability too. It costs around £40-45 but you should get 10 coats out of a tub. I've also used collinite on this car too but the valentines was far easier to work with.

If you prefer liquid waxes, which are usually cheaper, then consider meguiars waxes.

Theres 1000s to choose from! But yes, definitely use wax!

thanks for the advice guys, very informative. i think i will go what i have got and see how it turns out, if i dont like the look of it, i will go and get some of the carnauba wax and give it a go as well. i spent £95 on cleaning stuff the other day and dont really want to be spending anymore at the moment but will if i dont like how it turns out.

thanks again :)

if your going to get a carnuba wax then get some dodo juice or some autoglym high definition wax as they give a awesome shine plus quality water repellency if your unsure what to buy take a look on youtube there is pleanty of video's on there that show different products

for your car mate i would recommend getting DoDo light fantastic, for £33 it will last you atleast 2-3 years as you only need to wax a car 3 times a year(providing you prep the car properly) i last waxed my car in october and the protection is still there even through these hard months, its all about the prep work on a car mate, no point just thinking a wax will make it shiny as there is lots to do before you can get a glass like finish to your car but with hard work on the first good wash you should be able to build a good base ready for products to use.

you can either use a wax or a sealant mate, a sealant will last 3 times longer on your paint but it just wont give the visual affect that a wax gives you but its totally up to you, whatever happens though you need to protect the paintwork after you have worked hard on getting her shiny and a wax or sealant will do this.