New car but previous owner smoked, recommendations for deep interior clean?

medicpaul

Reaction score
The previous owner of my avant was a heavy smoker, being non smokers with children make us extra senstive to this odour. Have been using febreeze and Autoglym Odour eliminator with limited success. Thinking now a good shampoo is in order. What do you suggest, is there a wet and dry cleaner available to hire or even buy. Or should I pay someone to do it, if so should i contact a valeter or carpet cleaner???

Have you got a wetvac or can you get hold of one for a few hours? Best thing to do would be to give the seats a shampoo and a scrub then remove with a wetvac, same with floor. Most of the smell will be from the roof lining so make sure that gets done to, also go around all interior plastics with a good all purpose cleaner.

Then to finish off I would get a aircon system cleaner spray, comes in a can, you just put your blowers on full with the aircon on with the re-circulaing button on and set the aircon cleaner off and it will last a couple of minutes, after that the smell should be gone.

Oh and if he has used the ashtrays, take them out and give them a good soak in all purpose cleaner.

Hope this helps.

any idead where i can get a AIR CONDITIONING CLEANER

Get yourself along to a decent valet place and ask for a smoke bomb(fogging) or an ozone machine, they're the same thing depending on what the locals call it, it's pretty much like the air con treatment except that is more for bacteria in the air con system whereas this is designed specifically for smells inside the car, a few different flavours combat different smells, i got cherry in mine and the car hasn't smelled of smoke since. They're much more powerful than the aerosol versions. Something like this.
Odour Kill, Car Smell Removal and control

I tried a wet vac on a previous car and ended up with water mark circles which became the vane of my life. How do I avoid this?, would the rug doctor (from supermarkets) do the job or would you recommend something different??

Aye if your gonna start a business, i wouldn't bother buying one as one treatment is usually enough and you can get them done for around 20 squid !

How bout those ones in the cans at the top of the page? or should I get a george then give it to the missus for valetines...lol!!

As Jacktdi has mentioned the most likely cause of any lingering smell will be the roof lining so make sure this gets some attention. If you're struggling to get hold of a wetvac you could try Autoglym high foam interior shampoo, I've always found it quite effective.

Edit: Just noted your wetvac comment. The AG shampoo I mentioned would be worth a go. Very quick and easy to use too.

Last edited:
Also if you decide to get a wetvac go for the numatic Charles instead of the numatic george, same machine only difference is the george has a spray nozzle with it, I have a numatic Charles and just use Autoglym super interior shampoo diluted in a 2 litre sprayer then use the charles to extract the water after scrubing.

Also if you decide to get a wetvac go for the numatic Charles instead of the numatic george, same machine only difference is the george has a spray nozzle with it, I have a numatic Charles and just use Autoglym super interior shampoo diluted in a 2 litre sprayer then use the charles to extract the water after scrubing.

Top tip, just saved me 100 quid on a potential purchase.