scratch remover under a tenner?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
what is the best stuff i can buy (cheaper the better) to remove light scratches ,swirls,blemishes,bird dropping stain ? something that actually works ! tried t-cut and polishes,,,,,waste of time!

Auto express state autoglym paint renovator or maguires x

T-Cut, in the wrong hands, is an awful product. Chances are, by hand, you haven't been able to break the abrasives down and have heavily 'marred' (fine scratches) the area you applied it too. It's a rubbish product.

I forget what Megs have now, I know there is Scratch-X and 'Swirl-X 2.0' but I can't say I have used either. I saw their 'Ultimate Compound' in action one time (albeit via DA application (dual action machine polisher)) and it gave good results.

On Audi paint, if you're built like Popeye, you should look towards Menzerna 203s. Polished Bliss write about it here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detail...-routine-dark-metallic-pearlescent-audis.html

Or alternatively, use a filler-heavy glaze such as Poorboys Black Hole or AutoGlym Super Resin Polish.

If you're looking for proper defect removal though, you're always going to have to look down the machine polisher route with VAG paint.

Merry Christmas! :)

If you are talking about swirls rather than deep scratches then you have two options. One is to fill them and the other is to remove them. If you fill them then the fix is temporary but still effective for the short term. If you want to remove them completely then that is a lot more labour/cost intensive. I bought a DA polisher a year or two ago and it has made things much easier but your cost shoots up and your product range expands significantly.. I wouldn't recommend trying to de-swirl a car by hand, unless you have a lot of time and don't mind a bit of muscle pain (I've tried it!!)

If you want to fill swirls then I'd go with autoglym super resin polish as it contains a fair bit of fillers and is readily available and not too expensive. It needs to be worked into the paint as you need to break the fillers down into the swirls, so its not just a wipe on wipe off if you want to get the best out of it. Then a coat or two of their extra gloss protection to seal the finish and keep the fillers in place.

My favourite polish at the minute is Menzerna 203s. It has a reasonable amount of cut and also finishes down quite nicely but I've only ever used it by machine. Had quite a bit of success with VW and Merc paints, not tried it on my Audi yet, maybe when it warms up a bit!

If it's deep scratches you can feel with your finger nail then I would just try and improve the look of them rather than remove them. If you were to magnify a scratch the paint would have rough edges along the scratch, these catch the light which make it more visible. If you can smooth these out (and probably clean out the scratch at the same time) it will be much harder to see, assuming you're not down to base coat/primer/metal etc. For this I'd try Scratch X or a similar product rubbing along the scratch, you don't need much product!

The important thing is to not to try and nuke the paint! Go with the weakest combination of polish first as you may be surprised, if that doesn't work try again then go up a level. Also when you are polishing think of the polish as grades of sandpaper. If you went at your dining room table with 60 grade it would look pretty rough, you'd then have to follow up with finer grades to get the finish back. Also after a while the sandapaper loses it's effectiveness as it wears down. (If it's not already clear I am using an analogy, I am not saying use sandpaper on the car lol) Same with polishes, they need to be worked in order to do their job, you need to use them until the abrasives have broken down, normally when they have gone clear. Then you can wipe them off. A long old job but worth it in the end.

Never attempted removing bird stains.

Last edited:
Thanks for that guys,there very fine scratches /swirls that you only see in the sun at a certain angle,if you know what i mean? nothing at all deep or in ya face like.

meg step 1
then
autoglym super resin polish
then
chemical guys XXX hardcore paste wax

thats what i use on my car, this is a reflection shot from my old A3, when i first got it the paint work was shocking, once i spent about 2 weeks cleaning it, came up like a mirror.

40175_414851346518_515736518_4840148_7917505_n.jpg

Any product in the wrong hands is a terrible one....

Yeah 203s is excellent. Gets rid of birdsh1t marks too. Used with a lakes light cut pad. If your not built like olives other half, you will be after a days hand polishing....

You'll really struggle to actually correct Audi paint by hand: you'll probably remove the very finest of swirls but you'll likely have alot of fill from polishing oils, masking defects. Wax or sealant will lock these oils in. It'll improve the appearance, but won't give you true correction: depends what you're looking for.

To correct a car by hand (any car) will take at least 4 days, probably more to do it properly, avoiding micromarring and attaining some correction. An Audi, with rock hard paint, will be probably a 6 day process from starting the wash stage, going through a proper decontamination (crucial for proper polishing), then polishing itself, then glazing and waxing/sealing.

If you want to go by hand, Menzerna 203S Menzerna 203S | Menzerna Car Care & Detailing Products with a light cut pad Lake Country Light Cut Hand Pad | Lake Country Car Care & Detailing Products is best and the most aggressive polish you can realistically use by hand whilst still breaking it down properly and getting a sharp finish.

Follow this with a glaze to mask further defects (I recommend R222) R222 Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser | R222 Car Care & Detailing Products and then wax or seal on top of that to lock in the glaze.

Never seems to amaze me how professional PB really are & damn helpful without even asking for a bean, kudo's.

Now open a southern branch you gits :p