Volks AutosBadger5
    6th Gear

Status

Just a couple of quick hand correction / polishing questions...

Over the holiday period im planing to try and clean my car and wax it to see me past the winter,
    Im looking to try some light correction of swirls.
    If im going to use either megs swirl x or ultimate compound or my dodo lime prime whats the best aplicator?? a soft megs one or something like the Sonus or whatever the yellow/black and red one is called?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    In all honesty, you'll never correct Audi paint by hand.

You'll be better using a galze to fill the light scratches and swirls and then sealing it in with a sealant or wax.

The glaze I find has the most fill and is really good to use is R222 Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser: R222 Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser | R222 Car Care & Detailing Products

Apply by hand using a Meguiar's Microfibre pad (or similar) to clean paintwork, then apply your usual sealant or wax.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook
    It was only last week you were asking me which pads to go for for the DA? What happened there....!?

As above, you'll do well to correct by hand.

Again, if you want me to take a look, I'll be at the unit tomorrow so feel free to pop down. (you have my number still, right?) Currently have a Mk5 Golf GTi in there thats going through a minor correction. Will be glad to help - perhaps even have a go at the bonnet for you with the rotary.
    Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi 130 Quattro Sport.
    WhiteDetails.co.uk - Facebook? Follow me!

staylowmovefast

Status
    Isn't Jimmeh a corker!.....I hand polished my Audi (Santorin Blue Pearl) early this year using a Lakes light cut pad and Menzerna 203s (both bought from polished bliss). Now what these guys said is correct. I was there for 13 straight hours (not including the wash, tardis and claying I did before hand!) and felt as if my arm was going to explode. I did manage to correct the much lighter swirl marks, blemishes and other defects, but due to the hardness of the paint anything deeper wasn't even slighty corrected! Worth the effort I think as the paint looked MUCH better afterwards, but a long LABORIOUS affair!....Good luck!
    IT COULD ALWAYS BE WORSE SO KEEP ON SMILING

6th Gear

Status
    Jim,
    I would like to get some kind of pollisher yes,
    Im just bothered about the cost of undoing any mistakes ... it costs me 300 per panel to have repainted,
    A large part of me says come and see you, let you work you magic on the things i just can not do, BUT im worried it would drive me mad seeing the marks happen again and again as its my daily drive,
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Paul View Post
    Jim,
    I would like to get some kind of pollisher yes,
    Im just bothered about the cost of undoing any mistakes ... it costs me 300 per panel to have repainted,
    A large part of me says come and see you, let you work you magic on the things i just can not do, BUT im worried it would drive me mad seeing the marks happen again and again as its my daily drive,
    If you work sensibly and methodically with a Dual Action you should not inflict any damage: our guide may help (bottom of the screen, last option) What Does Polishing Do? | Car Care Advice | Detailing Advice

I wouldn't advise you jump straight in with a rotary as that's when problems will occur (different if it's under supervision eg: from Jim) but with a Dual Action it should be perfectly safe.

For reference, our DAS6 Hard Paint kit is currently on offer.....PB DAS-6 Hard Paint Polishing Kit | PB Car Care & Detailing Products

And if you place your order before Monday 9am, you'll get free shipping..... (though due to another dump of the white stuff here, we can't guarantee delivery times)