Multiple Layers of different waxes!??

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Everybody!:icon_thumright:

I prepared my car for the winter months a few weeks ago doing all the usual stuff (tardis/clay/polish/waxed etc etc..). I used Blackfire Midnight Sun to finish it off which it did very nicely. However I'm now thinking due to the severity of this particular winter I should have used a wax with a bit more durability. Has anyone (or can anyone reccomend/approve of) ever used Collinite 476s over another wax (in my case the blackfire)? What I would like to do is put on a thin coat of colly, and then another coat of blackfire. What do you guys reckon? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here? Also, I was thinking about using the colly on the alloy wheels too as I'm fresh out of Poorboys wheel sealant!

Any feedback would be great!

Ollie

Why don't you just build up three or four layers (more if you want) of the Blackfire, thats were carnauba waxes come into their own by building up the layers. Obviously you will be best leaving a couple of hours (or over night) between each layer to allow the previous layer to cure before putting another coat on but lots of thin layers will look really really wet and provide more than enough protection to get you through the winter ;)

Hello mate. Thanks for the reply! I have done this before and your right several layers do yield excellent results. However they don't come close to the durability a layer of colly would provide against the elements. That was my question really. What kind of results would a base layer of blackfire, a thin coat of colly over that topped up with another thin coat of blackfire for final shine.

I know there vastly different waxes (though not to sure of the composition of each) and this is why I am seeking the expert knowledge of this forum.....

Blackfire Midnight Sun doesn't like to bond with other systems due to the unusual polymer type it contains.

Midnight Sun should give upto 4 months protection from a single application onto well prepped paint, so 2 or 3 layers of it will last plenty long enough. If you wanted to extend the durability further, use Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection | Blackfire Car Care & Detailing Products underneath it.

If you already have Collinite, it'll be fine on wheels - if you don't have it, I recommend using a dedicated wheel sealant: I really like Migliore Wheel Seal Migliore Wheel Seal | Migliore Car Care & Detailing Products as a good alternative to Poorboys (not that there's anything wrong with Poorboys - it's just sometimes I like a change!)

Many thanks for the reply John! Thats excellent to know, as i would have just wasted my time (and wax!) applying colly and then more blackfire! I will just top the blackfire up then, and as i already have Colly I will use it on the wheels.....

Many thanks once again.