AH FabricationsChris Nott
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    james b's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    85

    Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Detailed by Auto Finesse

    This car is a new vehicle for one of our existing clients, he went earlier
    in the week to the factory in Stuttgart to collect it and booked us to give
    it a dam good clean and lay down some protection as soon as he got
    back to the UK with it, hers how the car looked when we arrived:




























    First job was to get the wheels cleaned, mike got on the case with AS
    smart wheels cut 6:1, and i cracked on pre foaming with Auto Foam
    and giving it a careful wash down with Dodo BTBM and the new Dodo
    Sponge:



































    So once the wash stages were done we got the car in the garage, and
    clayed the paint work with extra fine clay and Dodo Born slippy:





    Very little removal, maybe due to the fact its not been sat in any compounds etc:





    The paint work then treated to Zaino AIO by hand, then two coats of Z5 applied:








    Wheels sealed with SV autobhan and tyres dressed with a test product
    (tyre milk) & exhaust tips polished with Megs NXT










    Interior vaced, dusted, leather cleaned, then sealed with Nanolex:




    contact admin to advertise

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    james b's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    85
    Now looking like a new car should:






















































    As always your comments and questions are welcome.

    Thanks for looking

    James B
    contact admin to advertise

  4. #3
    crazypainter's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    587
    Looking very good. Whats the tyre milk? I think its a seriously fugly car on the exterior, but the inside looks a treat, nice touch with those centre console buttons angled into the driver, but why didnt they make those AC vents with a three point star instead of the cross? maybe that would have been a bit overkill, but black and subtle centres would have worked! Anyway the work you done looks great, and cold!!!! When you refer to 'AS smart wheels cut 6:1' Does AS= AutoSmart? What are their products like? Professional quality? I have noticed more and more people 'in the know' refering to them. I briefly looked into their franchise opportunities a long time ago, think you needed to put up about 20k. Would like to hear your opinion.......
    Need pinstriping? : www.crazypainter.com

    A4.. 1.8T.. Remapped .. Saloon.. Atlas Grey.. Votex Kit..

  5. #4
    Lloyd149's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    York
    Posts
    102
    Wow! Nice client to have there mate, you've done a good job!

  6. #5
    superkarl's Avatar
    MAN OF STEEL

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool/Southport. N west
    Posts
    7,455
    you used a sponge, does this not create swirl marks? i wash mine with a sponge but want something else after learning what it can do. what would you suggest i use?
    btw its an absolutely gorgeous car

  7. #6
    slade777's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    763
    Good job. One of the best sounding cars ive heard!!!
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140
    .


  8. #7
    crazypainter's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    587
    Ive been lucky enough to go out in a C63 AMG and my god, the tune of it!! I agree with Slade, If I could afford it I would buy it just on the sound alone!
    Need pinstriping? : www.crazypainter.com

    A4.. 1.8T.. Remapped .. Saloon.. Atlas Grey.. Votex Kit..

  9. #8
    tku
    tku's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    639
    Oh my gosh that car is so nice! 300SL all over again...good job mate.

  10. #9
    Wai-Fan's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    522

    My Social Networking

    Visit Wai-Fan's Instagram Channel
    Niceeee! Saw one zooming around Leeds a couple of weeks ago, looked stunning! Great job!
    2006/2008 - 52 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX, Platinum Silver

    2008 - 04 Audi A3 8P1 2.0 TDi (140) Sport, Mauritius Blue

    2013 - 2010 Audi B8 S4, Quartz Grey

  11. #10
    james b's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypainter View Post
    Looking very good. Whats the tyre milk? I think its a seriously fugly car on the exterior, but the inside looks a treat, nice touch with those centre console buttons angled into the driver, but why didnt they make those AC vents with a three point star instead of the cross? maybe that would have been a bit overkill, but black and subtle centres would have worked! Anyway the work you done looks great, and cold!!!! When you refer to 'AS smart wheels cut 6:1' Does AS= AutoSmart? What are their products like? Professional quality? I have noticed more and more people 'in the know' refering to them. I briefly looked into their franchise opportunities a long time ago, think you needed to put up about 20k. Would like to hear your opinion.......
    Tyre Milk is a product a company has sent us to test, i can really give any info on it as its not my place to say, but its good stuff.

    RE AS products, iv used Auto Smart for years (around 11 years now) they represent good products and good value, they do the job intended well and safely. AS are kind of the benchmark in professional car care here in the UK.


    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    you used a sponge, does this not create swirl marks? i wash mine with a sponge but want something else after learning what it can do. what would you suggest i use?
    btw its an absolutely gorgeous car
    Some people like Mits other like sponge, its as much to do with your method when using as it is what you use, however this is not just your bog standard 1 sponge from Asda the foam quality is 100PPI its as soft as the softest wax applicators on the market (its actually made from the same foam) the up side to this type of foam is that dirt cant migrate in to the structure, like it can with normal sponge and/or wool wash mits.
    contact admin to advertise

  12. #11
    John @ PB's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    360
    Apart from disagreeing with the sponge bit, I can't disagree with the end result!

    I do like the SLS a lot!

  13. #12
    JD09's Avatar
    I'm not modding, I'm improving

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cheshire, Alderley Edge
    Posts
    3,078
    I would have to agree with John on the sponge point, but hey, each to their own methods and certainly not doubting the superb results!

    Car is marmite, but some parts I really do admire!

  14. #13
    1210tech's Avatar
    Four Ring Fanatic

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by John @ PB View Post
    Apart from disagreeing with the sponge bit, I can't disagree with the end result!
    Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    I would have to agree with John on the sponge point, but hey, each to their own methods and certainly not doubting the superb results!
    I also agree with the comments on the use of the sponge and also the fact that the bodywork was clayed too, taking into consideration that the bodywork was not machined polished afterwards. The sponge is not a major factor because of the pre-wash steps used to remove a lot of the dirt before washing but I wouldn't clay a car if I wasn't going to carry out some form of machine polish afterwards whether it was just a quick lick with the random orbital or a full correction with a rotary because of the marring that clay bars inflict.

    Having said that, it all depends on what kind of service the customer wants and what they are willing to pay
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

  15. #14
    John @ PB's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by 1210tech View Post
    I also agree with the comments on the use of the sponge and also the fact that the bodywork was clayed too, taking into consideration that the bodywork was not machined polished afterwards. The sponge is not a major factor because of the pre-wash steps used to remove a lot of the dirt before washing but I wouldn't clay a car if I wasn't going to carry out some form of machine polish afterwards whether it was just a quick lick with the random orbital or a full correction with a rotary because of the marring that clay bars inflict.

    Having said that, it all depends on what kind of service the customer wants and what they are willing to pay
    I have to say that I'm happy to clay with no machining afterwards - if claying done correctly, no need to machine afterwards. No reason to induce marring even with an aggressive clay if the technique is right.

  16. #15
    1210tech's Avatar
    Four Ring Fanatic

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by John @ PB View Post
    I have to say that I'm happy to clay with no machining afterwards - if claying done correctly, no need to machine afterwards. No reason to induce marring even with an aggressive clay if the technique is right.
    you show me a clay bar that doesn't marr the paint even very slightly and I'll eat my hat! even if you apply it with no pressure what-so-ever I have always found that clay bars will still induce some kind of damage even on rock hard cerami-coat like mercedes paint
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

  17. #16
    james b's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    85
    The sponge is "my" personal preferance, at this given moment in time there is not a "perfect" tool, be it sponge or mit, to wash your car, wool mits and sponges both have there advantages and flaws, working style has alot to do with what will work best for you, this type of sponge works best for us. We currently look after 3.8mil worth of cars a week, and its my responsibility if swirls and nasties start to appear on the paint work to early, so trust me its used for a reason.

    Regarding claying with out marring, i dont have a problem? but thats due to the fact i know what im doing, its not as much to do with the clay grade, as it is your technique, we use an additive with water for lube, but again thats preference, however as John has rightly stated its not a necessity, im fairly confident with clay, and making sure the paint is perfectly clean, you check and fold your clay often and fast movements seem to keep me out of trouble.

    Doubt my work if you will, but this car is a new car to a long standing client, i prepared and maintained his Audi R8, and now we will do the same with this one, if the finish was not right hed notice, and if the sponge done any type of damage again, hed notice and we would have to rectify it, so as great as your knowledge may seem from what you have read on forums, mine comes from actually doing this day in day out for the past 11 years, thats called real world experience, and trust me clients budgets have nothing to do with what is or is not done, we dont do half jobs, you can either afford it or you cant.
    contact admin to advertise

  18. #17
    1210tech's Avatar
    Four Ring Fanatic

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by james b View Post
    Regarding claying with out marring, i dont have a problem? but thats due to the fact i know what im doing

    Doubt my work if you will, so as great as your knowledge may seem from what you have read on forums, mine comes from actually doing this day in day out for the past 11 years, thats called real world experience
    You seem to think that I don't know what I'm doing and that I don't do this for a living 'day in day out', well I am doing this day in day out for a living and on vehicle values similar to your client base if not more.

    My experiences with clay bars, no matter what lube or how much is used is they cause marring to the paint and require a polishing stage after to rectify. I am not doubting your work but merely making an observation on what I have seen in the thread and my own experiences using these products.
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

  19. #18
    james b's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    85
    Im not getting in to a button tapping war with you, if your in this industry you should know who we are and you should know we have earned our reputation through our work, and trust me, we dont need to prove our selfs to forum heros

    Im telling you, you can clay a car and not have to machine polish it, if your causing that much marring with clay i suggest you go take a look at your technique.
    contact admin to advertise

  20. #19
    John @ PB's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by james b View Post
    The sponge is "my" personal preferance, at this given moment in time there is not a "perfect" tool, be it sponge or mit, to wash your car, wool mits and sponges both have there advantages and flaws, working style has alot to do with what will work best for you, this type of sponge works best for us. We currently look after 3.8mil worth of cars a week, and its my responsibility if swirls and nasties start to appear on the paint work to early, so trust me its used for a reason.

    Regarding claying with out marring, i dont have a problem? but thats due to the fact i know what im doing, its not as much to do with the clay grade, as it is your technique, we use an additive with water for lube, but again thats preference, however as John has rightly stated its not a necessity, im fairly confident with clay, and making sure the paint is perfectly clean, you check and fold your clay often and fast movements seem to keep me out of trouble.

    Doubt my work if you will, but this car is a new car to a long standing client, i prepared and maintained his Audi R8, and now we will do the same with this one, if the finish was not right hed notice, and if the sponge done any type of damage again, hed notice and we would have to rectify it, so as great as your knowledge may seem from what you have read on forums, mine comes from actually doing this day in day out for the past 11 years, thats called real world experience, and trust me clients budgets have nothing to do with what is or is not done, we dont do half jobs, you can either afford it or you cant.
    Hi James, I fully agree with your sentiments re: claying and then not polishing: claying, when done carefully, should not mar the finish at all and it's all to do with technique and application.

    The two most common aspects I hear being missed are lack of lubricant and not allowing the clay to soften in hot water: I always break a bar into 3 and rotate the pieces after each panel. Cold, stiff clay is almost guaranteed to mar.

    Re: sponge: exactly, if it works for you and you're confident in it then fair play to you.

    You're right that working style has a lot to do with it: use a sponge, mitt whatever, badly and it'll add swirls. It's the same as the 'grit guard debate': loads of folk swear by them, I refuse to use them. As you say, working carefully is the name of the game.


  21. #20
    CHRIS555's Avatar
    DOPE with added OCD

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,941
    Sweet, great results, gorgeous car!

  22. #21
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    211
    Great work ! car looks ace.
    can you do mine please ?
    S3 SOLD
    Phantom Black S3 . MTM Stage 2 , Buckets , H&R , Milltek ......every Audi option.....................

  23. #22
    dsg

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    99
    that car is mmmmm lol. that tyre milk looks like it gives a sy milar effect to the 3m tyre restorer which is brill.cracking read btw and can i just ask whaT exactly is that sponge and is it available to buy?

  24. #23
    james b's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    85
    The sponge is being made by Dodo Juice and will be available early part of 2011 from the usual online stores
    contact admin to advertise

  25. #24
    luke1987's Avatar
    Air Ride is for Ballers!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baller Central
    Posts
    616
    i love tis car!!! propper old school!!!

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO