AH FabricationsChris Nott
    6th Gear

Status

How to remove snow from the car... Winter is coming !

Is there a safe way to clear snow from car paint work?
    I was thinking from the weather reports i keep seeing... sooner or later im going to open the curtains and see a white S3 where i parked a blue one the night before
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

2. # ADS
    ADS

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Interesting one, I would warm the car up personally... I understand your concerns though... snow sliding down paintwork, with potential grit in it is not wanted!

2nd Gear

Status
    A very slick surface should repel snow to a large extent - something like Werkstat Acrylic is very slick. I'd try not to touch the snow unless it's really deep.

For the glass and headlights, a top quality glass sealant like Nanolex Premium Nanolex Premium Glass Sealant | Nanolex Car Care & Detailing Products or Urban Nanolex Urban Glass Sealant | Nanolex Car Care & Detailing Products will help stop frost bonding and also prevent snow building up.

(We had some snow here last week. Not quite the 4ft we had last winter yet though.....)

1st Gear

Status
    Why not just buy a car cover if your so worried about the snow?
    Things to do: Lower on coilovers, spacers, front end respray and a full correctional detail!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahim View Post
    Why not just buy a car cover if your so worried about the snow?
    Probably because they'll cover the car in scratches.....

If the car isn't spotless when a cover's applied, or if the cover isn't spotless on the inside, as you move the cover over the paint, it'll scratch the paint.

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by John @ PB View Post
    Probably because they'll cover the car in scratches.....

If the car isn't spotless when a cover's applied, or if the cover isn't spotless on the inside, as you move the cover over the paint, it'll scratch the paint.
    Regardless of cleanliness, 99% of car covers will scratch due to what they're made of as well! Had this experience after wanting to protect the car over a two week holiday (bird droppings etc). Came back to a car needing faint correction again.

Not happy.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    Regardless of cleanliness, 99% of car covers will scratch due to what they're made of as well! Had this experience after wanting to protect the car over a two week holiday (bird droppings etc). Came back to a car needing faint correction again.

Not happy.
    Not good at all.

My post was based on non-experience: I've never used a cover. And never intend to! Your post has confirmed that even further.

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Snow must be cleared from a car before driving it anywhere as it's a danger to other road users when iced up clods of it fly of your car at 50mph into their windscreen.

Why not justy pour warm water over the car, I mean luke warm, avoiding pouring directly onto glass and you'll be fine. Couple this with heating on in the car to ensure that windows don't re-ice. Works for me and has done for years.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

2nd Gear

Status
    personally use a dustpan (with rubber lip) to shovel the wind screen clear but obviously not the paintwork, after a slow crawl down the road most loose stuff will fall off as you gather speed (if you can)
    A6 Avant 2.5tdi Quattro Sport 220bhp 458Nm 6 speed Manual

4th Gear

Status
    I used to put a towel on the windscreen, get out lift off and away you go.

1st Gear

Status
    Wouldn't that just cave in under snow?

Doesen't look sturdy enough to withstand a bit of snow, but going in the right direction i suppose.
    Things to do: Lower on coilovers, spacers, front end respray and a full correctional detail!

events moderator

Status
    i would say the best way is to try and keep your car clean so if the snow does slip down the paint its got less chance of scratching it , what i did last year was to warm the car up
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

flat out

Status
    usually i clear the snow almost down to the surface by hand then pour warm water on all windows etc to clear the rest.
    to be honest though if there is a lot of snow i call in snowed in and go back to bed!

1st Gear

Status
    tbh the water doesnt need to be all that warm! just straight from the tap does it for me!

I used to not really care with my Corsa/106 and just push/slide it all off.. but i've been paying special attn. to my A3 now and wouldn't dare!
    8P Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro Sport - what a change from my 1.0L CorsaC!!!

follow me on Twitter - Jonay1990 for #Photography #Aviation #Mil #Automotive #Subsea

Neutral

Status
    i have a small portable heater, like a mini space heater, set it to a gentle heat and it clears snow in seconds. i also have a bar heater specifically to leave under the car to warm the engine before starting it in sub zero temperatures.

1st Gear

Status
    i drive fast, it blows off, stop hard and it falls off. then i call my mate and ask him if he wants my quattro to pull his 5 series off his driveway!!! Ha Ha
    current -
    07 A3 TDI 170 quattro
    rnse,leather,auto lights & mirrors,bose,sunroof,xenons, etc

previous-
    06 A3 2.0TDI sport quattro - rolled & gone
    06 A3 2.0T sportback dsg leather - gone
    06 A3 2.0TDI sport -gone
    01 1.8T GTI -gone
    01 A4 TDI 130 - gone