Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook

Aston, Porsche & a Mini

Hi all - just a couple of updates for you all. Fairly picture heavy so may be worth giving it a minute or two to get a headstart!

Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Protection Detail with interior care

With the vehicle appearing at the AMOC (Aston Martin Owners Club) meet on Sunday, I was called on to prep the vehicle in readiness the Friday before.

Product

3M Glass Cleaner
    AutoSol
    AutoSmart G101
    AutoSmart Tardis
    Belgom Alu
    Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
    Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
    Elite Car Cares Fine Grade Clay
    Iron Cut
    Jeffs Werkstat Prime
    Jeffs Werkstat Jett Trigger
    LTT Auto Ultra Foam (Leather care)
    LTT Auto Ultra Protect (Leather care)
    Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel
    Meguiars Last Touch
    Meguiars Super-Degreaser
    Meguiars Hyper Wash
    Meguiars Wheel Brightener

Inspection

In need of a deep clean both inside and out.

As the weather looked a little hit and miss, I opted to dive into the interior and sort that out first incase rain made an appearance later in the afternoon (garage not wide enough to open both doors etc)

Armed with LTTs leather system, I got straight to work.

Rear backrests removed to A) allow easier cleaning and B) remove the build-up of dirt thatd accumulated down the sides over the years.

Leg support on front two seats extended to shift more build-up.

Lots of dirt was removed from the leather throughout all the dashboard, centre console and doorcards were treated in the same way.

Rear bench after cleaning and re-installing the backrests.

Whilst hoovering the underside of the passenger seat, I heard something block the nozzle.

Malteser anyone?

Using a damp microfibre cloth, the leather (seats, dashboard, doorcards etc) was given a wipe to remove residues left by the initial clean and to re-hydrate with some water.

The rinse water that was wringed out of the damp cloth throughout the final stage a worthwhile job if you ask me.

Wooden trim polished and protected with Jeffs Prime:

The Auto boxes P, R, N, D gear selection was a little grubby:

A little toothpickery:

Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi 130 Quattro Sport.
    WhiteDetails.co.uk - Facebook? Follow me!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook
    And sorted:

Wooden inserts on doorcards also treated to Jeffs Prime:

Gear knob and steering wheel were both given a good scrub with AutoSmart G101 (an all purpose cleaner) to shift the years of muck and dead skin.

Interior finished:

Before starting the wet-work, the Aston was moved to a new location to prevent the driveway from flooding..

Once repositioned and kit was set up, the wheels/arches and tyres were cleaned with a mix of AutoSmart G101, AutoSmart Tardis, Meguiars Wheel Brightener, Meguiars Super-Degreaser and Iron Cut.

Doorshuts and sills cleaned with G101/Super-Degreaser combo.

Meguiars Hyper-Wash used to deliver the first of two snowfoam applications. After sorting the fiddly areas with a soft brush, the first snowfoam layer was removed via a high-pressure rinse concentrating on all panel gaps, badges, crevices and bump-strips (it’s amazing to see how much grit is flushed out of the bumpstrips if pressure washed at the correct angle!)

It’s now I notice how heavily contaminated this car actually is. Being light in colour, every tar deposit was stuck out like a sore thumb; tree sap, iron filings and other general road-grime spoiling the overall finish.

Re-foamed and washed with Born To Be Mild via the two bucket system:

It was difficult to capture the volume of tar that was scattered down the sides here – let’s just say the de-contamination stages took a fair bit of time!

Aquartz Iron Cut eating in to a whole array of filings dotted around the whole car.

AutoSmart Tardis used in great volumes today!

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook

Continually rinsing the car to remove all residues, it was finally time to move onto the clay bar stages.

Dirt lifted off of half of the roof:

And working my way down the O/S:

A massive transformation seen already. Vehicle was dried down, kit was repositioned and car then put back onto the driveway for the cleanse and protection stages.

Vehicle body cleansed with Jeffs Prime via a hand applicator.

Before moving on to the sealant, other intricate areas dealt with with Jeffs Prime.

Second coat of Jett Trigger applied:

Alloys sealed. Tyres dressed and windows cleaned. (and on that note, anyone over the 6ft mark that can happily clean the inner rear window without breaking a sweat, swearing and/or making a complete mess deserves a medal! What a pain!)

A final wipedown and we’re finished. Nice car!

Time taken, around 7 hours

Many thanks, Jim.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook
    Porsche 997 Carrera S – Minor Correction

Although already very clean, the owner wanted the 997 putting through a mild polishing process to remove a ‘haze’ that’d be caused by light swirls and some wash marring.

Shortly before buying the car some 15 months back now, the 997 was put through a similar detailing process to prep it in readiness for its sale. Being thrilled with the results then, it was up to me to match (or even better!) the results this time round.

Product

• 3M Glass Cleaner
    • AutoSmart G101
    • AutoSmart Tardis
    • Autosol
    • Blackfire Wet Diamond – All Paint Protection
    • Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
    • Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
    • Elite Car Care’s Mild Grade clay bar
    • Jeffs Werkstat Prime
    • Meguiars Wheel Brightener
    • Meguiars Super Degreaser
    • Meguiars Last Touch
    • Menzerna Power Finish 203s
    • Menzerna Final Finish 106FA

Inspection…

‘Clean’, just grubby on the edges. Again, this is a very well looked after car.

Wash process: Wheels, Arches, Tyres, Sills, Badges & Crevices, Rinse, Snowfoam, Rinse, Snowfoam, Two-Bucket Wash and clay bar…

This was about the worst contamination I could find!

Also noting through the wash stages how well the bodywork was protected..

Once dried down and inside , the sun made appearance (typical) and a rough idea of the overall defects were spotted on the O/S front corner:

Although only 4 years old, throughout, there were some pretty low paint thickness readings. Averaging ~90/95um. Lowest reading spotted was 76um.

Highest number spotted 121um on the bonnet:

With these low readings in mind, I was pleased I was only there to perform a single pass with a mild polishing approach as otherwise we’d be pushing our limits somewhat with the already thin paint!

Pads and polish used for the correctional work: 3M yellow polishing pads (both the 150mm and the smaller spot pad), a white Hexlogic polishing spot pad, Menzerna 203s for some tough areas and Menzerna 106FA for the majority.

Starting with some of the smaller spot pad work at the back and I’m not getting on too well.. Switch pads, try another polish combo… “Nope, something strange going on”. Polish isn’t breaking down well, a few new vibrations/jumps on the rotary and generally not having much luck. Come the time to switch pads again though I noticed:

My Gloss-It backing plate had split. This could have been a potential disaster had I not spotted it sooner rather than later. Bummer!!

So, in switching backing plates I was able to crack on and complete the N/S rear quarter:

Stepping up to the 3M 150mm polishing pad for some of the larger areas like the roof.

Before:

After:

And a few more ‘befores’ spotted on the N/S panels that when in the sun, were showing swirling and ‘movement’ within the paint.

Leading edge of the bonnet complete and haze free:

Tricky area this, switching down to the small 3M polishing pad, I carefully machined the vents on the engine cover to the rear: (it didn’t help that my ‘oh-so beloved’ Gloss-It backing plate had broke either!)

Before and After: (much better)

Some light scratches taken out of the tailgate itself:

And moving on to the rear clusters with 3M yellow spot pad and Menzerna Power Finish 203s:

Before:

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook

After:

Front nose before/after:

With the machine work complete, the 997 was popped outside for a quick rinse and then blown dry with the Black Baron Vehicle Dryer. At this point, an executive decision was made; we agreed that I’d re-visit first thing in the morning as there was lots of moisture in the air and the jobs which I had left to do would only be affected by this and I’d only grumble as I began to struggle!

Rise and shine, back to it first thing and I start with an IPA wipedown.

Exhausts cleaned up with Autosol:

Before/After:

Before/After:

Along with the alloy wheels, the calipers were protected with JetSEAL109.

Some toothpickery work:

BlackFire’s All Paint Protection system was laid down and in the meantime, I did the glass with 3M’s Glass Cleaner. Sealant residues removed, one or two final touches and we’re there.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook

And with the Brinkman torch:

The true finish will be revealed once the car first rolls into direct sunlight.

Thanks for reading..

Jim.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook
    Mini Cooper D – Minor Correction & Engine Bay

Product:

• 3M Glass Cleaner
    • 3M FastCut+
    • 303 Aerospace Protectant
    • Aquartz Iron Cut
    • AutoSmart G101
    • AutoSmart Tardis
    • AutoGlym Bumper Care
    • AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber Care
    • AutoSol
    • Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
    • Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
    • Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild shampoo
    • Dodo Juice SuperNatural wax
    • Elite Car Care Fine Grade Clay
    • Jeffs Werkstat Prime
    • Meguiars Last Touch
    • Meguiars Super De-greaser
    • Meguiars Wheel Brightener
    • Menzerna Power Finish 203s
    • Menzerna Final Finish 106FA

Inspection:

Generally a well looked after example. Paintwork was a little hazy and a tad rough on the edges but overall, in good condition.

No before pictures of the engine I’m afraid. Quite grubby under there though; hadn’t been seen to since new (2008). Dealt with AutoSmart’s G101 and Megs’ Super-Degreaser.

Wheels, tyres and arches cleaned up in the usual manor. IronCut used to help eat into a few thousand mile’s worth of pitting:

(This IronCut product STINKS. If you’re to use it, do so in a well ventilated area!)

Wash sequence performed – snow foaming the vehicle twice to 1) help soften and lift surface dirt and 2) aid a super-slick (minimal contact) wash

After the two bucket wash, very little protection seen on the panels:

Finally being rinsed with an open hose to assist the drying stage and then taken inside. Tardis used to lift a few tar spots and Elite Car Care’s clay bar used to lift body contaminants.

Using the Black Baron Vehicle Dryer left the car bone dry; time to tape up.

It’s the first time I’ve machined a Mini; tricky little things! Quite challenging with the angles/curves/crevices but overall, quite good fun!

Paint thickness readings were varied throughout… The lower (green) panels were averaging around the 100um mark – some pushing high 70’s which was a little worrying. The roof however sat healthy at 150+.

A few of the defects to pick out:

Along with the sea of swirls, there were also a few bad water etchings on the roof (being a solid black colour)

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook

O/S front wing a little hazy and sported a buffer trail or two:

The bonnet was also very dull/hazy (no major swirls, just, covered in a light ‘mist’?)

Starting high, I loaded a yellow 3M polishing pad with Menz 106FA and the results were quite pleasing:

50/50 (grey/black comparison)

While I was still fresh I decided to attempt the awkward/fiddly areas. So much so I had to stop, stand back and analyse the problem being getting stuck in! Lots of tape-overlapping required here!

Whilst I was at the backend I hit the light clusters with Menzerna Power Finish 203s:

Before:

After:

Before/After:

The ‘scratches’ you see at the bottom of this next shot are actually spider-webs (inside the lens)

Continuing with small-pad work:

Before/After on N/S front wing:

Bonnet 50/50s:

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook
    This picture showing how much gloss and clarity had been lost by the haze in the paint:

Left hand corner of the (solid black) roof which hadn’t been touch yet:

Right had corner of the (solid black) roof which had been machined:

Midway down the N/S door a football (or similar) had brushed against the paint and left a lovely series of deep scratches.

The pad and polish combination which the rest of the car had made little difference to the above marks. In checking the paint depths again, I was able to increase the cut of my approach and make multiple passes to visibly reduce the marks without sacrificing the already thin paint.

One or two nicks remaining:

A and C pillars (being gloss black much like the roof) looked very tired:

Menz 203s and a polishing pad used to restore to a high gloss

Before/After:

Same approach at the front end with the A-pillars:

The britework dotted around the car was cared for with Jeffs Prime:

Before/After

Engine bay revisited before the IPA wipe was given (incase of overspray later when the paint is finished) and dressed:

IPA wipedown of the paint given to remove polishing oils. A fine layer of SuperNatural wax applied to protect. Wheels sealed. Tyres dressed. Exhaust polished. Glass cleaned inside and out.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook

And that was about it for the night. Arrangements were made to collect first thing in the morning so after an 11pm finish and a 12 hour day, I was happy to be sat down.

Arriving back first thing I gave the paintwork a light wipe down to remove any possible gassing smears from the wax. Stuck for things to do, I decided to remove the valve caps and see about putting some more shine into them!

Looking dull and tarnished:

And two after being cleaned up with various products:

Bringing the job to an end, the arches and plastics were re-done with AG Bumper Care as I wasn’t happy with the finish left by 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Lovely!

Thanks for reading.

Jim

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Wow all looking good there! Well done.

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Saved for a read later, with a cup of soup at this rate (bloody rain ). Looking forward to it

XFi
    2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add XFi on Facebook Visit XFi's Youtube Channel
    Nice work, I recognised the drive and house where the Aston is! I'm sure a friend use to live there

Does the Aston have a Y/V and then a 4 at the end of the number plate?
    Last edited by XFi; 26th October 2010 at 18:28.

Audi S3 8P3 Stage 1

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's A3 View Post
    Wow all looking good there! Well done.
    Thanks Sarah - hope all is OK and you've recovered from your 'girl' flu ?

Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    Saved for a read later, with a cup of soup at this rate (bloody rain ). Looking forward to it
    Cheers JD. Bloody rain indeed... In action from tomorrow onwards with a Performance Blue Fiesta ST.

Quote Originally Posted by XFi View Post
    Nice work, I recognised the drive and house where the Aston is! I'm sure a friend use to live there

Does the Aston have a Y/V and then a 4 at the end of the number plate?
    ahh huzzah! Indeed! Very well spotted! Owner was very pleased with the turnaround.

TDIPOWARRR

Status
    Great work, db7 is gorgeous. Noticed you work out the back on your car. Im starting up myself shortly and just wondered how you have everything set out in your boot? My A4 is only the saloon but im hopeing to get my genny in there along with my pressure washer and wet/dry vac, then my other bits and bobs on the rear seats because no one ever uses them.

Was just intrested because i've never seen anyone else work out of a car.