prepping a bonnet for paint

dantheman1986

Reaction score
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:46 am
hi i have a replacement bonet for my car but it has some bad scratched and the lip of the bonnet had lost some paint. my question is do i rub all the damaged areas down to the metal, or do i have to take the whole bonnet down to metal? thanks

prep only the bad areas sand one inch around from the spot until is smooth enough, with the primer u have to make a very good smooth so the paint can come out good, otherwise it will fade when u spray

is the bonnet the same colour? if so i would grey scotch it off, if its a different colour you can still scotch off or wet flat with 800 as your basing the full bonnet! dont forget tho you will prob need to blend the top of the wings if you doing the full bonnet or if the colour is close to the wing tops! dont just rub down a inch from the scratch, feather the paint as far as it takes so you dont feel it! you dont have to go to metal unless the damage is that deep you need to, if you do you will need to use some etch primer on the bare metal first then high build primer. has it got stone chips?

yere its the same colour but its coverd in scratches, some just in the lacquer and some down to the primer, so the whole bonnet will need to be painted. just wasnt sure if i rubbed some areas down to the metal it would leave low spots or not?

No it will only leave low spots of you don't feather it out properly, prep is they key tho!