swirly A4

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have a solid black Audi, with the worlds hardest paint ( maybe an exageration)

I have polished and waxed her regularily since i owned her.

I have ran the rotary over her with a hard cut pad and menzerna Rd302 tentativley more than once and followed it with Menz 85Re and or final finish 2.

The car looks great as a whole but in the right light the swirls were bugging me. So i have even tried an untested product of Lokate CP cut 5000, to no avail she still looks like she has been cleaned with a brillo pad

I use the zenith method and the multi speed rotary

I am at my wits end

The pics below were taken after a good hit with Menz RD302 and a quick 85RE.

HELP!!! :oops: :oops:

Is it me making it worse? Am i using the wrong products? Wrong method?
Wrong tools?
Willing to try anything, pretty much, i have never had this much trouble before

100_7378.jpg

100_7377.jpg

100_7376.jpg

100_7375.jpg

100_7374.jpg

100_7373.jpg

100_7372.jpg

CRW_9818.jpg

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_9790.jpg

My bits n bobs, well some of em anyway, without all the tardis, G101 etc etc
IMG_9824.jpg

2 words Mark "Polished Bliss", give them a ring as they will advise & they are the defacto's.

hence the post in here mate
Rich is good, and i recently bought bits etc to fix it, i am just in a moody cos i have spent most of today making no difference,lol

I meant ring them you moody **** lmfao, I'm sure they will come up with something.

hence the post in here mate
Rich is good, and i recently bought bits etc to fix it, i am just in a moody cos i have spent most of today making no difference,lol

Mark Let myself and Grant at it..

Nope, gonna do it myself, i have as much if not more chemicals than ICI here and power tools coming out of my ears too.lol

I have about £300 worth of chemicals, around £150 worth of pads and a good understanding, it's just with it being my car i am taking it "TOO" easily i recon, i just posted for confirmation really

PS you cannot advertise on the open forum mate sorry

Audi paint is really hard and very hard to work with, that could be the reason your not seeing the results you want, or while using the DA were you working outside? Dust can often get blown onto the car bodywork, you run the DA over it and you've got swirls again.

ideally mark you should have it in a garage mate as you know what dust is like. fortunately me and colin have my garage to do cars so once we start we can get it done without interuptions even if its slamming down with rain we can sort it. hope you find the right combo to do it. chaeck out CYC where i have replied to your problem and just see if what i said will work. cant understand how you are getting such results after a rotary pass on the car.

You say you are using a rotary, how are moving the rotary over the panel that you are polishing? If you are swinging the machine side to side as if you were polishing by hand then this could be your problem. You need a slow steady movement, about 2-3 inches a second (but don't hold the rotary on one spot), with the speed setting on between 1200 and 1500 rpm and work on an area no more than approx 2ft square. This allows the pad to break down the polish properly and give you a swirl free finish. You need to work the polish until it is almost clear.

Also, when you come to buff the polish off, don't press too hard and use two microfibres folded into quarters, one to remove most of the polish residue and then the second one to buff to a shine.

I was going to comment on the way you are using the rotary. I have been tackling lots of car as an avid enthusiast for friends and family cars and built a good knowledge and technique.
I agree Audi paint is hard, but not every Audi has the same paintwork. With the equipment you currently have I would say either you are using far too much polish and not working it down, wiping the residue off too early or possibly the mf cloths are dirty?

Get a bottle of IPA from ebay and wipedown the surfaces afterwards and see if you are still getting swirls. Ive tackled a 15 year old black Audi last year and it took me about 3-4 passes to rid of the swirls are deeper scratches.

Else another method is invest in some 4000 and 3000 sandpaper and wetsand the areas. Of course investing in a paint gauge will help matters on how much you can take off.

Good luck!

Also another thing that popped into my mind was possibly trying fluffy microfibre to buff off?

I use the Eurow deep shagpile ones and they are super soft.

Mark.

You are more than welcome to pop down for me to look at it and advise you. Entirely up to you, no charge to "help" or advise you of course! :)

I'm in the middle of buying a house (first time buyer) so my Mums' Garage is out of bounds at the moment (bought a new 3 piece sofa) which is taking up the room, when I've moved into my new house (november) you are more than welcome to pop down for me to look.

We WILL get those nasties out. Promise! :)

G