Back from bodyshop, hand flatting hints and tips

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Morning all!!! just wanted some tips on this, my car came back from the shop on Saturday, alls good apart from a few little niggles and problems with overspray.

I managed to get most overspray off one side of the car with Tardis and then clay bar.... my problem now is its on some of the spokes on the alloys which will be abitch to remove, i was thinking of buying some megs wheel brightener a few weeks ago so thought this may do the job? this is due to my very cherry not being strong enough to cut through the start of the annual yellowing that builds up - thoughts?

secondly there are a couple of places on the car where the body place hasn't flattened.... in summary in the door handle, the sides of the bumpers and the lower of the front bumper which doesnt appear to have been touched at all....i am reluctant to take it back as the chap did the job extremely cheaply and has done an amazing job other than these little niggles... question is can i tackle this with just my trusty werkstat kit or AG super resin....or do i ideally need to borrow the neighbours DA or rotary (i need to buy some pads if so for which suggestions would be gratefully received)

pics below show the area which needs attention and a couple of shots of the side that was sprayed which i am more than happy with

Bit of a dull finish on the bumper
P1020022.jpg

and the inside of the door handle
P1020018.jpg

good colourmatch for which i am yet to spot any orange peel under the clear coat
P1020007.jpg

this entire side had been keyed all the way down
P1020006.jpg

P1020005.jpg

P1020004.jpg

First up i would not accepted it back with the minor fault's. You will have to let the paint settle/cure for a week or so then you could use a DA or Rotary but make sure you get a good product like Menzerna P0203s, this is a safe bet do a little test area first.

hey mate if your front bumper is a bit dull and orange peely you can buff the dullness up with some g3 and then a nice wax! if your carefull you could wet flat the inner door handle apperture with 1500 but dont go too close to the edge or you will flat through, allso you will have to buff this by hand unless you have a mini polisher (2'') but also be careful you dont flat/polish through on the edges! only flat this untill its almost all fully dulled,as you will maintain the factory look and less likley to flat through as you dont know how much paint this guy has put on!! any issues just ask, ps i paint cars for a living!

cheers chaps

CMD.... i really cannot grumble mate, the guy repaired a 3 inch gash in the rear bumper, sprayed both fully, sprayed all down one side including removing the rear quarter window and painted a new rear numberplate trim for £300...... like i said, i checked as much as i could and theres no orange peel below the clear coat that i can see......

Jimmy, sorry to sound daft but whats G3? and why wouldnt i be able to use this on the inner door? what should i use to bring the shine back? my werkstat or do i need to buy the cutting compounds.....

G3 is a harsh bodyshop abrasive mate. If you were to use that, you'd certainly have to follow it with a finer less aggressive compound (Menz ip. 302, Menz 203s, Menz 106FA etc)

Ideally, I'd like to take it back to the shop. But as read above, I understand this may not be possible.

You wouldn't to do too much to the inner handle as you'd be working on the edges; more likely to strike through here as you're focusing on the area a lot more than you would on a flat surface. You can buy a Lake Country Polishing Pad or similar from Polished Bliss and try Menz 203s - this can give could results by hand. But the flat spots on the bumper ideally need flatting back completely before being polished (and yes, you would need a machine polisher for this)

cheers Jim....i can borrow the neighbours rotary or DA...what pads would i need for the bumper?

I'm currently using the Hexlogic range which David at Chemical Guys stocks... Other than that, the 3M spot pads aren't bad?! Certainly try to keep to spot pads if you can.

cool cheers fella.... so if i buy some spot pads, the last stage density with some menz 203....that will do the door handle and bumper? or will i need something stronger than the 203 for the flatting?

another option would be to simply pay someone to do it if that would be more cost effective..... :)