EM TuningChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

MTM Audi S3 8P detailed by 'Incredible Detail'

Hi all

I got around getting my car finally detailed as it was suggested to me by forum members years ago and I am over the moon with the finish!! It's made me realise how much a detail can lift up and car's image, before my car was looking dull and dark but not you can see the pearlescent flakes in the paint and now can appreciate more what a great colour merlin purple really is.

Car was detailed by 'Incredible Detail' in Glasgow and its their reputation and detailing with high end cars like Enzo, SL65, Techart Carrera Turbo is what go be drawn and I highly recommend them to anyone in Glasgow or Central Scotland since they're not many top end detailer in our region. The website is as follows if you want to have a gander:

Incredible Detail | Detailing Glasgow | Detailing Edinburgh | Detailing Scotland | incredibledetail.co.uk

On with the detail, well the detailer has written his experience on detailingworld.co.uk so Im going to just copy his write up (permission was asked) so here goes:

'This car was a booked in for a paintwork correction, engine and interior detail. It had the usual swirls and rds and a couple of areas of deeper scratches which needed to be sorted out.

The car was tuned by MTM and running approx 350bhp. I like the subtlety of these cars and it's quite a sleeper.

I prefer it when the sun is out for before and after pictures as it gives a true representation of what the car really looks like. Luckily it was...

Car and engine bay were washed in the usual way.

The paint on this car was the hardest I'd ever came across. Audis are known for being fairly hard but not to this extent. This car was a special order colour so I suspect it may have had something to do with that.

3 Stage Correction carried out using FCP+ on a hard compouding pad, IP on a light compouding pad & FF on a polishing pad. Each panel was wiped down with IPA between stages and inspected with the 3M Sun gun to ensure proper correction and a trail free finish.

I intended to take a lot more pictures but never got a chance to as the correction was taking forever so only a few before and afters.

Wing

Rear Quarter - Quite badly scuffed.

Here's an example of what was left in.

Excuse my finger mark. This was used so I could see where the mark was whilst looking through the camera and manually focus on it. You can just see the mark where the strip light is.

I forgot to take before pictures of this mark but it was quite an obvious star shape. Almost as if someone had rubbed a bird's dropping into the paintwork. There was also a couple of areas on the car where bird's dropping had badly etched the clear.

The pictured mark was very deep I manged to take most of it out. The remaining part you can see couldn't be seen in daylight or direct sun so I was happy with that and didn't feel that I had to remove it completely.

Whilst I was detailing the car audi fitted new gloss black panels.

This panel is brand new and looked really badly swirled.

as is this one:

As you can see one is badly swirled and the other is (almost) perfect. One came wrapped in a cloth and the other came with the normal white wrapping you get on new cars. I suspect the one that was in the cloth had been wipped down to remove dust before wrapping it up - or even the cloth itself damaged it.

This was corrected using Final Finish on a Blue 3M spot pad.

The car was then wax with Z Vintage and then all the usual details taken care of including cleaning and feeding the leather. Tthe exhaust had a cermaic coating hence why it looks black in the final pictures.

After looking at the final pictures on my computer it appears that I never had the camera on the proper setting so the pictures are of quite low quality compared to the usual.

Tyres were buffed off to prevent sling and give a matt look after the final pictures were taken as I wanted to get the pictures before the sun went behind another big cloud.

They pictures didn't come out too bad though.

A very enjoyable detail for me and I was really happy with the way the car came out. The colour is really nice and once completed it looked stunning in direct sunlight.

Thanks for reading.'

Ps The rear lights on the car are the MY11 facelift lights (which are darker then the previous facelift clusters) plus the B-Pillars are the new MY11 piano black finish.
    Last edited by Haz1; 27th August 2010 at 09:33.
    Audi S3 8P2 | Merlin Purple | Black Optics | Recaro Bucket Seats | Privacy Glass | Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights | Bluetooth Phone Prep. | MTM Stage 2 | Milltek TBE | ITG Stage 2 Induction Kit | Odyssey Racing 40 Battery | Rev D DV | Denso IK24 Spark Plugs | RS4 Pressure Regulator Valve | TTS Engine cover | To do: Autotech HPFP

2. # ADS
    ADS

ASN is hazardous 2 your wallet

Status
    lovely colour and job there mate... nice 1...
    A3 2.0 FSI metallic Pearl/ Liquid Blue, 18" BBS Calito's, rear Parking Sensors, Full Votex Kit, Weitec Hicon GT Coilovers, Cruise Control, Auto Lights and Rain sensor Wipers, Facelift Rear Lights, Personal German Pressed Plate (G9MBO).

Immediate TDL
    Calito's redone in pearl white
    Roof/Spoiler and wing mirrors wrapped in pearl white
    Bentleys 19's
    S3 Brake Upgrade
    BMC CDA Induction - hope it sounds lush..

On the facelift path...

Status
    It is a great recovery of such a lovely car. Great colour and now I guess you can really enjoy your pride and joy.
    Ive done lots of Honda Civic Type R corrections recently after meeting a few of them at a meet and now I am flooded with helping them correct their cars

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikster23 View Post
    It is a great recovery of such a lovely car. Great colour and now I guess you can really enjoy your pride and joy.
    Ive done lots of Honda Civic Type R corrections recently after meeting a few of them at a meet and now I am flooded with helping them correct their cars
    Before I handed the car over I thought it wasn't even in a stage where it required recovery but Robert (the detailer) brought out a 3M Sungun and I was just gobsmacked at the amount of swirls and defects (ie bird droppin residue, polish holograms) were on the paint. Really chuffed at the car now, its that same feeling of driving a brand new car lol. The finish in real is like a mirror and the day I got her back, ive never seen so many people turning around to get a second look at the car
    Audi S3 8P2 | Merlin Purple | Black Optics | Recaro Bucket Seats | Privacy Glass | Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights | Bluetooth Phone Prep. | MTM Stage 2 | Milltek TBE | ITG Stage 2 Induction Kit | Odyssey Racing 40 Battery | Rev D DV | Denso IK24 Spark Plugs | RS4 Pressure Regulator Valve | TTS Engine cover | To do: Autotech HPFP

1st Gear

Status
    Great improvements there Haz.

Your rims in the second from last pics are gleaming! What was used to clean them??
    2006 Audi A3 (8P)
    Spec - 2.0 TDI l DSG l Sprint Blue l Leather Interior l 18" RS6's | H&Rs | S3 Front | 6k Bi-Xenons | EMTuning DPF Delete Package
    Plans - BBS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by v1raj View Post

Your rims in the second from last pics are gleaming! What was used to clean them??
    Not sure but i'll ask the detailer, Im sure he used more then one product.

1st Gear

Status
    Great colour , great detail !
    2011 A3 SPORTBACK 2.0 TDI 140 , LAVA GREY , COMFORT PACK , INTERIOR LIGHT PACK , HIGH BEAM ASSIST , BLACK HEADLINING , TYRE PRESSURE MONITOR , PRIVACY GLASS , ALUMINIUM ROOF RAILS , REVERSIBLE BOOT LINING & FOLDING MIRRORS .

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook
    That looks stunning now.. They've done a great job there too.

Congrats!
    Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi 130 Quattro Sport.
    WhiteDetails.co.uk - Facebook? Follow me!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Good work.

Question, those center pieces that you said were new, are they from audi glossed or did you get them glossed mate, did they come on yor car from factory or addition, thanks in advance as I was going to get mine glossed up.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Wow, looks great! Loving the car full stop!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Good work.

Question, those center pieces that you said were new, are they from audi glossed or did you get them glossed mate, did they come on yor car from factory or addition, thanks in advance as I was going to get mine glossed up.
    They come glossed from Audi and come on the new MY11 A3/S3 from factory but I got them retrofitted.

Part numbers are A8P3 853 289 DY 9B and A8P3 853 290 DY 9B for left and right sides plus you need 6 new pop-rivets to fit them, pop-rivet part number is: AN 016 185 7 (you need 6 of them)

Hope that helps buddy.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by v1raj View Post

I just got back from the detailer (Robert) and the product used to clean the alloys was Bilbery Wheel Cleaner which is non acidic.

5th Gear

Status
    Fellow merlin purple owner :wave:

Car looks great, brilliant colour when cleaned up !

3rd Gear

Status
    Nice looking motor mate!

Love the MY11 rear lights, I should have mine fitted by next week!
    Audi TT - 2.0TFSI - Ibis White

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Haz1 View Post
    They come glossed from Audi and come on the new MY11 A3/S3 from factory but I got them retrofitted.

Part numbers are A8P3 853 289 DY 9B and A8P3 853 290 DY 9B for left and right sides plus you need 6 new pop-rivets to fit them, pop-rivet part number is: AN 016 185 7 (you need 6 of them)

Hope that helps buddy.
    Nice one mate well deserved thanks, thats my next mod then as I've glossed black a fair few things & looking at exterior parts atm aswell as finishing interior, any idea of cost fella.

1st Gear

Status
    Nice one mate well deserved thanks, thats my next mod then as I've glossed black a fair few things & looking at exterior parts atm aswell as finishing interior, any idea of cost fella.
    No problems, I like the gloss black finish too, thinking about getting the front grill finished in the same colour. The trims are 36 each so ur looking at 72 inc vat for both and about 95p inc vat per rivert so your looking at about 78 all in.

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Merlin Purple revived! Very nice Haz. Love the new B pillars too.

S3 (8P)

Status
    superb
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

6th Gear

Status
    Mate car looks beautiful. And i think i may have now found a new favourite colour! Awesome colour Love the seats aswell.
    I know want an S3 in Merlin Purple! lol...Once again car looks wkd, bet your pleased with the finish.

p.s as i couldnt pick which one was my favourite photos i have three the one showing your engine bay and the bottom two. Cars looks soo good, well jealous
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benskin07 View Post
    Mate car looks beautiful. And i think i may have now found a new favourite colour! Awesome colour Love the seats aswell.
    I know want an S3 in Merlin Purple! lol...Once again car looks wkd, bet your pleased with the finish.

p.s as i couldnt pick which one was my favourite photos i have three the one showing your engine bay and the bottom two. Cars looks soo good, well jealous
    Cheers buddy for your nice comments, I was going to buy the facelift model but when I saw this merlin purple with the black finish I fell in love with the car , im glad I didnt wait for the facelift. I just gave her a two bucket wash today due all the dust collected and the finish is still the same as the pics, well chuffed

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Haz1 View Post
    Cheers buddy for your nice comments, I was going to buy the facelift model but when I saw this merlin purple with the black finish I fell in love with the car , im glad I didnt wait for the facelift. I just gave her a two bucket wash today due all the dust collected and the finish is still the same as the pics, well chuffed
    No problem Haz. Car looking that well deserves the comments...I dont blame you for falling in love with your car, i've fallen for it haha. Merlin Purple a lovely car quite rare aswell never seen one in the flesh.
    If you were to get the facelift was it in the same colour or different? If different made the right choice in picking the pre-facelift S3. You now made my decision on looking for a new car start of next year alot harder. Wanted Sprint Blue can get them but Merlin Purple gonna be alot harder lol
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benskin07 View Post
    No problem Haz. Car looking that well deserves the comments...I dont blame you for falling in love with your car, i've fallen for it haha. Merlin Purple a lovely car quite rare aswell never seen one in the flesh.
    If you were to get the facelift was it in the same colour or different? If different made the right choice in picking the pre-facelift S3. You now made my decision on looking for a new car start of next year alot harder. Wanted Sprint Blue can get them but Merlin Purple gonna be alot harder lol
    The facelift was going to be a sprint blue unless I ordered a brand new one with the exclusive colour option. I might be selling the car in a years time when the RS3 (fingers crossed) comes out, so if your looking in the future for a merlin purple S3 and I still have her, give me a shout

Interior Next!!

Status
    haz lovely mate!!!

love the new b pillars! and rear lights! gonna do botht these bits over the coming months!!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

6th Gear

Status
    Saw this over on detailingworld and thought it was your car mate. Car looks absolutely spot on mate. Great car.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Rav View Post
    Saw this over on detailingworld and thought it was your car mate. Car looks absolutely spot on mate. Great car.
    Cheers, yeah the detailer (Robert from Incredible Detail) posted up a write-up there, really impressed with his work.

5th Gear

Status
    thought you was a matte finish man
    Previous
    S
    Ibis White - 2007

Current
    A5 Ibis White - 2007
    S3 Black - 2001

VCDS user

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    No I said I was a Matt finish lmfao.

Nope mate, I am reversing my review of your grill etc after I saw my setup with matt & it was alot better, so hats of to you & when I get chance between nappies & feeding & some sleep I'll also add a new post to your grill thread mate.

My rear S3 lower valance is now gloss black, fog grills also & the lower lip, had done short while back before driving here, admittedly it does look alot better, matt black looked ****, very ****, oh & mirrors are gloss black too, you should add these trims aswell on sides, would look great.

5th Gear

Status
    No I said I was a Matt finish lmfao.

Nope mate, I am reversing my review of your grill etc after I saw my setup with matt & it was alot better, so hats of to you & when I get chance between nappies & feeding & some sleep I'll also add a new post to your grill thread mate.

My rear S3 lower valance is now gloss black, fog grills also & the lower lip, had done short while back before driving here, admittedly it does look alot better, matt black looked ****, very ****, oh & mirrors are gloss black too, you should add these trims aswell on sides, would look great.
    make sure you add that comment, lol

gloss black ftw, i ordered the trims a few days ago.
    Previous
    S
    Ibis White - 2007

Current
    A5 Ibis White - 2007
    S3 Black - 2001

VCDS user

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I will dont you worry

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi mate, lovely bit of detailing. Do you have any more details on how the pillars were removed and new ones fitted?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gynads View Post
    Hi mate, lovely bit of detailing. Do you have any more details on how the pillars were removed and new ones fitted?
    Cheers! Well the b-pillars are tricky if your gonna do them yourself, I told Audi to fit it for me. I saw the whole process, basically the 3 rivets are the key. To remove the old b-pillars you need to drill the old rivots out and pull the old trim off (force will be required). Then place the new trim in place and stamp the new rivots in place with a rivot gun. Plus during the installation process the door rubber surround needs to be pull back too. I know the process may sound straight forward but it is tricky, hope that helps buddy.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Assuming those rivets were popped in from the side then if the seal was pulled back, sounds simple enough, was one side hooked round the rear window side & the door side riveted only?

I would check elsawin but not installed atm.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    for the window trim nige its a case of pulling back the door rubber and drilling out 2 rivets, slide it back new bit in and reassemble, job done done it enough times now, theres a u clamp on one end which tucks behind and over the window the other half is held by the rivets 5min job tops

thats 4 ive had to do now, once for te respray on the a3 once for the s3 and twice for mates to carbon wrap thier trims

oh be sure t cover the checks in tape or blanket or something and blow down to get rid of any drilling swarf

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ah as expected then Phil, thanks for confirming.