A4 Avant 2.0T Sline SE Detail / Rant

heli_madken

Reaction score
Hi All,

This isnt really so much of a detailing thread more of a rant and request for advice, but it does show what can be done with the basic detailing kit.

I bought this car from Shrewsbury Audi last week, part ex for my beautiful S4 which had to go. I paid what I think is top money for the Avant and got bottom money for the S4. To be honest I wasnt in the right frame of mind to buy the car and didnt spend long enough looking it over. When I started cleaning the car I was appalled at its condition and cant believe the dealers screwed me so much.

On face value the car looks ok with whatever Audi valeters use to hide defects -
DSC_1236.jpg

Started with a good snow foam left to dwell and brushed into badges, shuts etc followed by a good wash with Jeffs Autowash followed by a dry off with towels.
DSC_1216.jpg

Its at this point that the trouble started, to be honest I nearly cried, the car had so many paint defects it was untrue, scratches everywhere and the level of contamination was unbelievable, the only way I can describe is that it felt like a uniform overspray accross every surface except for the bonnet and the front apron.

There where full body length scratches along the passenger side -

DSC_1229.jpg

DSC_1228.jpg

Nasty scratches on the rear arches -
DSC_1219.jpg

Stone Chip peppering on the front arches, the front apron has been sprayed -
DSC_1222.jpg

Scratches over every door handle -
DSC_1224.jpg

After pulling myself together I set too with the clay, this was a brand new piece of clay, this is what came off the windows alone -
DSC_1231.jpg

Then it was out with the DA, using Menzerna RD3.02 on a lake country cutting pad and multiple passes I was able to remove about 80% of the defects but it took about 7 hours work. I made another pass with Menzerna 85RE which gave good results, another 2 hours work -

DSC_1243.jpg

On too day two, I gave the car another wash to remove all the residue from polishing. Moved to a lighter pad and polished using LimePrime in a couple of passes. Then on to glazing pads and PoorBoys Blackhole Glaze applied in a single pass, polished off then a single coat of Blackfire Midnight Sun wax, intending to give another coat 24hrs later only its rained since I finished the car! Managed to take a couple of shots before it got too bad -

DSC_1238.jpg

DSC_1226.jpg

DSC_1239.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the phots didnt get much time. So I have rescued the car I believe although I need to do another day on stone chips and deeper scratches.

I had a chance to clean the engine bay on friday night, it was filthy and had obviously never been cleaned, used Mequiars Super Degreaser, painted the raised lettering on the engine cover red because the silver had stripped (I used the paint seam roller technique which is dead easy!) and dressed all the hoses with Aerospace and treated any furred alloy housings with WD40 -
DSC_1235.jpg

At the time of buying the car I was told the wheels where being re-furbished due to bad kurbing, I didnt realise until cleaning them that only two have been re-furbished so I now have two completely different coloured sets of wheels!
DSC_1241.jpg

DSC_1240.jpg

Just to make matters worse I spotted an issue with the accelerator during the test drive and although I told the salesman about it no effort was made to fix it as the fault was still there when I picked the car up, then to make matters even more worse when I got home and with the car fully warmed up I could hear a nasty rattle coming from the high pressure fuel pump housing, so the car has been back for the accelerator issue to be fixed and has to go back again for the fuel pump issued to be sorted.

So advice time, not a happy bunny, some of this is my fault because I didnt check the vehicle enough but then I went to an Audi dealer because I fully expected to get a car that was sorted for the £13,850 I paid which I think is high for a vehicle of 52K mileage and what I would describe as poor condition. Do you think I have a case based on my experience and the photos to make a strong complaint? at the very least I want the other 3 wheels refurbed and the illegal spare tyre replaced!

How much would it have cost me to have all the defects professionally corrected? Perhaps I could go for the materials costs at least.

Or am I wrong in expecting an Audi dealership to make more effort with its cars before they are sold?

Apologies for the long post!

Last edited:
First up, congrats on a great looking car! :)

You've done a top job in that engine bay too, it looks spotless.

Unfortunately I think dealers get away with this far too often; prepping the vehicle for the sale only for it to 'wear off' in the next few washes. My S3, I brought that from an independant dealer in Lincs, first impressions I was very impressed. Once washed and in the sun however, a whole new story.

I'd certainly push for the wheels to be refurbed once again but I'm not sure about the paint situation?! Try it, but, I think they'd only come back to you saying that its a four+ year old car with 50,000 on the clocks etc... (IE, it isn't going to be perfect)

As an idea on pricing for the corrections, exterior only as a 'minor' job would be circa £300. Chase every last defect and scratch out and you'd soon push the £500 mark.

Hope this helps!?
Jim

Thanks Jimmeh thats a great help, I think its because I like the look of the car that I decided to persevere with it. I think I would be happy with the wheel refurbs and a new tyre

One more thing, you can see in the rear end shot that it looks like the muppet has sprayed the exhaust tips matt black (unless this is original?) I took a little of the paint off the underside to see what it looks like but cant make out if its chrome or not, is it worth stripping off? what options have I got for new tips?

Cheers

I remeber when i bought my first car from an independent, it looked fantastic, then after a few washes the paintwork was a mess! so many scratches and marks, i got my s3 from audi, from what i have seen it hasent been to bad, but there wax did a great job of hideing the two door dings. I still dont know what they use, its like some thick cream lol, probably mayonase

Looking good now mate, I feel your pain though. I've been going through the exact same process the last month.

Bought a car which myself and my dad went over with a fine tooth comb and seemed great, on the way home I hit torrential rain which washed off whatever was hiding the defects, to say I was gutted when it dried off was an understatement.

Spent the last couple of weeks, an hour or so a night correcting one panel at time.

Car looks good now after you have gone over with it. As said before, dealers do this "make it look good quick" valet for the first impression when you pick it up. There is normally so much going on when they hand over the car it's hard to take it all in.

You mention the exhausts tips being black... I think they were black as part of the DTM edition.

I know about your frustration with the wheels. When my parents first picked the car I have now up, (ex demo) the dealer had had two of the wheels refurbed. Drivers side, original Audi finish all nice and shiney, passenger side, dull refurbished finish that look rubbish. I changed the wheels for a new set which is extreme but I now know they are factory finish....

Thanks everyone, I have an appointment with the manager next Monday will see how I get on

Great job pal!
You should do detailing as a side line lol.
Fingers crossed you get some compo!!

Well I had my day with Shrewsbury Audi, went fully armed with pictures etc, went through the fact that I was unhappy with the exterior finish against the price I had paid for the vehicle, the fault with the clutch switch and alternator which should have been picked up during the PDI and the fault with the high pressure fuel pump and the fact that I had travelled backwards and forwards to get the engine faults sorted over 300 miles and lost two full days work. All I asked for was the well worn spare replacing and the other two wheels refurbed, what did I get? zilch not even an apology, the twot of a salesman even had the affrontery to go on the offensive and ask where the Sat Nav disc was!! arguing that it was part of the oringinal specification which of course it wasnt as I fitted the unit myself.

Lessons learnt -

1 DONT BUY A CAR FROM SHREWSBURY AUDI, worst customer service I have experienced in 30 years of buying cars
2 DONT TRUST A SALESMAN WHO FILLS IN A BLANK PDI DOCUMENT IN FRONT OF YOU claiming that the orignial was missing because a member of staff was on holiday
3 DONT BUY A CAR WHEN cirumstances force you too and your mind isnt on it

Sorry for ranting everyone I really cant believe I have been treated this way, this will be my last Audi cant wait to get shut now

I just went to listen to the engine again and realised they have left off the acoustic engine cover!, just didnt see it yesterday with all the frustration, I just cannot believe that £ucking place

sorry to hear about the problems mate, WHY OH WHY do dealers treat people like a bunch of TW%TS, i find that most sales men/women in Audi dealers havent got a clue about Audi's and probably dont even care too, they look after number 1......themselves. as long as they sell a car and get their pay and commision at the end of the month why would they care about joe bloggs down the street. ill never buy a car from a dealer as 1. your gona pay more than private sale 2. with the trouble you get off dealers its worth saving money going private and then fixing any problems by yourself or with a trusted garage of your choice.

Audi do a 30 day exchange policy, if your not happy you can take the car back and change it for one of the same value. (tetbury audi) I never put it into practice though lol