A3 Quattro SB

frothey

Reaction score
Picked up earlier in the year, still haven't had time to do it properly! A pearost from the welcome bit, but thought some might like to see.

The Golf had to go..... sitting sadly at the dealership....

Quattro%20(2).jpg

Quattro%20(3).jpg

The Audi sitting in the compound...

Quattro%20(4).jpg

Quattro%20(5).jpg

Quattro%20(6).jpg

Quattro%20(7).jpg

Quattro%20(8).jpg

Quattro%20(10).jpg

I was allowed by the valeters to give the car a hose off in their washbay, first TFR'd, then rinsed, then used their entire supply of Tardis - went around 3 times before rinsing and going around again with a cloth. I've never seen so much tar on a car before, it was covered in it - going to have top get some mudflaps for it, or should I say tar flaps! Wheels got a good soaking with G101 then rinsed off again with their nice hot water!

After I got it home, the car got a wash down with Hyperwash, and clayed with Sonus Green and last touch - not suprisingly after the TFR and Tardis not a lot came off!

I hit the exhaust with 00 wire wool and NXT metal polish....

Quattro%20(11).jpg

The buffed with a cloth and NXT metal polish

Quattro%20(21).jpg

Then onto the wheels as there was old wheel weight adhesive on them

Quattro%20(12).jpg

Then cleaned with Tardis, followed by a rather good wheel cleaner you can pick up in Hyundai dealers. They were then polished with the Makita and P085rd, followed by Z-AIO and Z-CS. Tyres were Z-16

The engine was pretty dusty, so a quick once over with 15% G101 and a couple of brushes, followed by a wipe down with AG Tyre dressing

Quattro%20(23).jpg

To

Quattro%20(24).jpg

Then onto the paint - there was a bit of rain in the air, so I chose Megs #83 with a Sonus cutting pad, one pass gave

Quattro%20(13).jpg

to

Quattro%20(14).jpg

Not perfect, but like I said, it's going to get done properly in a couple of weeks.

After one pass on the car, I followed around with P085rd on a polishing pad, then cleansed with Dodo Lime Prime. Easy, but it took ages ducking inbetween the rain showers, one minute shorts and t-shirt, the next torrential rain - I suppose it is April :rolleyes:

2 Coats of Swissvax BOS and I was left with

Quattro%20(16).jpg

Quattro%20(17).jpg

Quattro%20(18).jpg

Quattro%20(19).jpg

Quattro%20(20).jpg

Quattro%20(22).jpg

Since pics were done the glasswork has been cleaned with G-Techniq G3 and sealed with 3 coats of G1, plastic trims and rubbers treated with C4. Don't moan about the arches not being cleaned, where I live it's pointless even if you've got OCD!

Last edited:
lol at the arches comments.

What are your thoughts RE the G-Tech kit? Yet to have a go with them myself.

A lovely spruce there - well done. Did #83 cope well enough with the Audi paint?

Some nice detailing work there, like the engine before and after, looks much better

Meg's #83 will give reasonable correction with a cutting pad (on VAG paint) if you can get it to work long enough - it's more consistant in the cold/damp than Menz polishes, probably because the Menz are designed to be used in more controlled atmospheres. When I get round to doing the car properly it'll be with my "german favourite" Menz 3.02 followed by 85rd combination, so long as it's still warm!

The GTechniq is great stuff, rubbers are still beading 4 months on, and the windows still "blow clear". tiny bottles, but you use tiny, tiny amounts - as with Zaino, less is definitely more.

Last edited: