EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

What do you use on your chrome wing mirrors to clean them

Maybe simple chrome cleaner is to be used, but just checking before i use some autoglym chrome polish and end up takeing the finish off lol

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Werkstat prime would work extremely well matey.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

Reverse Gear

Status

Cleaning Methodology
    • Thoroughly rinse surface to remove any loose surface dirt or dust.
    • Wash the surface with a d-Limonene-based (citrus) APC cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash)
    • Use a cleaner (Simichrome or Klasse All-In-One) to remove any surface blemishes
    • Use a mild polish (P21S Multi-Surface Finish Restorer) to prevent re-oxidation and provide a water-resistant coating and restore lustre to the chrome
    • To restore chrome that is pitted or has rust spots, remove with #0000 synthetic bronze wool and /or a metal polish (Auto Wenol Blue, or use Red for chrome restoration)
    • Finally apply a polymer sealant (Zoopseal) to provide lasting protection

Due to the softness of the metallic plating it is very easy to induce a swirl marks to the finish so use straight-line motions only. Use a soft brush to remove any dried polish from seams or folds. For both chrome and highly polished aluminum, use a mildly abrasive metal polish (Iz Einszett Metal Polish or Groit's Chrome Polish).
    ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailers Trust ~

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post

Cleaning Methodology
    • Thoroughly rinse surface to remove any loose surface dirt or dust.
    • Wash the surface with a d-Limonene-based (citrus) APC cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash)
    • Use a cleaner (Simichrome or Klasse All-In-One) to remove any surface blemishes
    • Use a mild polish (P21S Multi-Surface Finish Restorer) to prevent re-oxidation and provide a water-resistant coating and restore lustre to the chrome
    • To restore chrome that is pitted or has rust spots, remove with #0000 synthetic bronze wool and /or a metal polish (Auto Wenol Blue, or use Red for chrome restoration)
    • Finally apply a polymer sealant (Zoopseal) to provide lasting protection

Due to the softness of the metallic plating it is very easy to induce a swirl marks to the finish so use straight-line motions only. Use a soft brush to remove any dried polish from seams or folds. For both chrome and highly polished aluminum, use a mildly abrasive metal polish (Iz™ Einszett Metal Polish or Groit's Chrome Polish).
    Thats a very comprehensive write up mate, but i doubt very much they will actually be metal, just chrome coloured plastic (i will stand corrected if i'm wrong). In which case, your method would not do them much good at all.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    Rowdy, my 8L S3 mirrors are definately not plastic..... which i think are the ones being referred to
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdyboy View Post
    Thats a very comprehensive write up mate, but i doubt very much they will actually be metal, just chrome coloured plastic (i will stand corrected if i'm wrong). In which case, your method would not do them much good at all.
    I always answer on the assumption that the person who asks the question knows what the material is or what the surface finish is. If you cannot answer such a fundamental question you should not even attempt to clean it
    ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailers Trust ~

1st Gear

Status
    my ones are solid chrome, you can feel the weight and denisty, i used some auto glym chrome cleaner, came up quite nice

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
    my ones are solid chrome, you can feel the weight and denisty, i used some auto glym chrome cleaner, came up quite nice
    theres no such thing as solid chrome, chrome is an electro plated finish less then .5mm thick. i think if it is the same as mine.......they are polished aluminium
    regards dave