Astra GTE

gixer

Reaction score
not many good standard ones left now. Mine loves sitting in the garage doing nothing. shame really dont have the time to ues it more.

DSCF0157.jpg

Brilliant car, got to have the 16Valver !! great straight line pace but **** nipping in the bends. I love to have an immaculate one sitting in the garage.....pity they rusted so badly !!

not many good standard ones left now. Mine loves sitting in the garage doing nothing. shame really dont have the time to ues it more.

DSCF0157.jpg

My Dad use to own one of these, but in Red and it was the 8v version, so I have a soft spot for GTE's. despite not being a fan on Vauxhalls.

Fond memories of my old Red GTE - spax adjustables and Milli Miglia (is that how your spell it) 5 spoke alloys and twin pipe performance exhaust....just lovely! Gotta love that digital speedo !

Mate's just bought a bog standard and very clean red '84 mk1 GTE. If I had a bit of spare cash I'd be buying it off him!

I liked the digi dash on the mk2s - thought it was well cool when I was a nipper!

My uncle used to have a mint Mk1 years ago, Black B reg one, was fully tuned up and was DAMN fast!!!

Really like them :)

White G plate 16v, Jamex lowering kit, K&N Cone, Jetex Exhaust, rusty arches...handled like a ****** rollerskate.......but still brilliant!

Tried the 8v Cab too, slower more camp version of the same car...

I had the SR version (poor mans GTE) but someone kindly wrote that off for me so then i opted for GTE though it was in the guise of a Nova..... full GSi conversion, fast road cam, adjustable spax all round, 15" compomotive rally rims. It was better than a go cart, was flapping rapid when it could find traction.... had it about 5 yrs and watched it rot away :sadlike:

I remember my mate had one brand new in 86ish which was white aswell & it rocked my world:yahoo:, my next door neighbour has one tucked away in his garage & has done for the 8 years we've lived here, he's convinced its gonna be worth a mint anytime now.....he'll have to do a canny bit of restoration before that happens tho' !!!!

Cool car

I bought a million mile 16 valver for £200 a couple of years ago as it had 6 months tax and test left, and it was the best fun I'd had in a car for ages.
It would keep up with most things in a straight line and then you would soil your pants as you realised the corner was coming up fast LOL
Ended up selling it on with 4 bald tyres, no tax or test for £300! result LOL.

I'd say their breaking into cool, they've survived the boy racer stage and are slowly becoming classics.

I remember my mate had one brand new in 86ish which was white aswell & it rocked my world:yahoo:, my next door neighbour has one tucked away in his garage & has done for the 8 years we've lived here, he's convinced its gonna be worth a mint anytime now.....he'll have to do a canny bit of restoration before that happens tho' !!!!

Cool car

Might be a good investment.A friend of mine has an immaculate D reg S1 RsTurbo locked away in a garage.Very low miles and looks ****** brand new.

I had an H plate 16v, like people have said superfast - crappy handling. I also had a MK1 SR, a MK2 GTE convertible, and one of my favourites, a Nova Sport, complete with twin 40's and race cam, and more.....

I had an H plate 16v, like people have said superfast - crappy handling. I also had a MK1 SR, a MK2 GTE convertible, and one of my favourites, a Nova Sport, complete with twin 40's and race cam, and more.....

I've had two genuine Sports and a replica built :)

img018.jpg

img019.jpg

img020.jpg

MyoldNovaSport1.jpg

MyoldNovaSport2.jpg

Good to see them kicking about still although not very often!

My brother owned a mint SRi, after he sold it was involved in a hit and run, stolen, dumped in a carpark, torn to pieces and then appeared in the local paper behind a politician talking about the problem of people dumping unwanted cars....Was amusing at the time.

Cool cars.....these days.

Love the mk2 GTE's my first car was a 1.3 replica one. almost as cool as the Mk1's ;)

I had a Astra GTE16V Mistral Grey in my opinion the best colour and only available in the 16V,traded it in for the A4 few years back now.

When i went to look at the 16V with a view to buying it the dealer selling it took me out 1st with him driving it, he F..in scared this **** out of me at the time boy i loved the sound of it, really miss the straight line power, dont get that with my lazy V6 now.:yes:

I keep seeing a Mistral Grey GTE in Lincoln,still looks nice.
Wish i had some video clips of my Gsi turbo,loved that car.

still got mine, had it 10 years now , metalic silver 1989 8v,im half way through a full restoration and ive got a 3l v6 with piper cams and superchip to go into it, i absolutely love these cars awesome fun to drive, you just dont get that sort of drive from newer cars

My pal had one years back, resprayed in baby blue with a massive bodykit on it. It was his first car and bought it for £900. Cracking fun!

There used to be a MK1 GTE near my house and i always wanted one but by the time id done with Novas they were even harder to find. I fancied a MK2 GTE as well as the dash was proper cool but again not easy to find one which hadn't been knackered by chavs or weather.

Interestingly if you can find a early Daewoo Nexia it is the same car! Remember reading on the forums that a guy got hold of an early one and transplanted all the bits into it from his rotten MK2 GTE was a fair bit of work - now he's/was a honorary member of the Vauxhall Clubs

These are soo ugly but I always wanted one.

Can somebody stick up a pic of the digital dash never been in one.

Cheers

These are soo ugly but I always wanted one.

Can somebody stick up a pic of the digital dash never been in one.

Cheers

Here you go :-

L-Astra-GTE-Dash.jpg

The car looks a bit ugly now, especially the front end, but back in the 80's it was considered very aerodynamic and modern looking !

I owned a five door Carmine red one for two years and really enjoyed driving it ... quite smooth and refined engined too :)