MK4 VW Golf Anniversary

as a previous mk4 owner my vote will always be cool!!

I love these, the standard wheels and kit etc, they just look fanastic from the factory.

Yeah - was the proud owner of the above car (pictured)
apart from the BBS alloy problem (3 sets) she was perfect
often wished i'd not sold her:sadlike:

Nice cars - excellent spec and they looked great.

What was the problem with the BBS wheels? Corrosion or something?

benw123 said:
Nice cars - excellent spec and they looked great.

What was the problem with the BBS wheels? Corrosion or something?

I think the laquer lifted on a very regular basis, resulting in lots of corrosion.

Thinking of getting one of these, really nice car with a great spec and in the tdi form a great engine. I think I prefer the MKIV to the MKV apart from the MKV GTI which is a return to form, but apart from that the MKIV is better quality and the old tdi engines are better than the new ones!

Just about right Isaac - the alloys had a 'burnished' finish and especially after winter due to gritting the salt would attack the alloy resulting in what was called 'white worming'

You'd think VW would have learned a lesson after the fiasco of the Mk3 GTI 20th Anniversary wheels corroding...but evidently not.

In the end they started powder-coating the wheels and exchanging them...which was a shame as they weren't as shiny.

Ess_Three said:
You'd think VW would have learned a lesson after the fiasco of the Mk3 GTI 20th Anniversary wheels corroding...but evidently not.

In the end they started powder-coating the wheels and exchanging them...which was a shame as they weren't as shiny.

Correct Ess Three - Also the Monzas fitted to the mk5 gti's - ive read some owners have reported the same problem !!!!! Although mine looked ok

Yeah...forgot about those...
The 18" Monza 2s (?) especially...I remember talking to the local dealer about the wisdom of those when I was looking at a GTi...he said "just bring them back and we'll replace them under warranty".
"What about after 3 years have passed an he warranty is out?" says I.
"Er...um...*cough*"
Enough said.
Why oh why do they insist in fitting wheels like that for use by normal people in the UK?

Purchased one of these new, when they came out on 02. Saw it sitting there in silver in the middle of a VW showroom and couldn't resist. Still think they look great and went well in 1.8T 180 form. Had a set of wheels changed and the coil packs. Loved it to bits for 40,000 miles, gutted when I sold it and probably wish I had kept hold of it now...:( Went to a good home though...

I thought my MKIV was no where near cool. Felt like a sofa going round corners, and had 3 tiptronic box replacements...and to think I was pleased when I first got it

I have a mk4 Anniversary at the minute. Am quite possibly selling soon though due to buying an S3. Had no problems at all with it and will be sorry to see it go. Definitely cool!!

Jon