The Vauxhall Calibra.

Dan Gliballs

Reaction score
Well, what's your opinion on GM's finest then?

Calibra.jpg

Calibra2.jpg

I think they were cool in there day...but not with that spoiler:puke2:

I agree with all of the above.

When i was 17 years old and a bit of a chav i thought they were the nuts.

Although i did drive a Vauxhall Nova 1.3SR at the time with a big bore exhaust !!

Gilly said:
When i was 17 years old and a bit of a chav i thought they were the nuts.

Although i did drive a Vauxhall Nova 1.3SR at the time with a big bore exhaust !!

Just for the record, that was ten years ago, I now think they are uncool chav chariots

No Vauxhall can ever be cool, and the Calibra never had the chassis to be sporty, however nice it looked. But if someone offered me a well-kept, late-plate Diamond Black V6 Auto with leather and air for under a grand to amble around in, I might just say yes.

Uncool. The problem was the design dated badly, although I recall it was quite novel at the time.

A mate used to have a tuned 2.0 Turbo 4x4 and took it to the Nurburgring with some mates. He drove there with 4WD and came home with just 2WD - he shagged the rear diff!

LOL, it's not looking great for the Cavalier in a frock!!!!

my brother had the 2ltr turbo 4x4 about 8 yrs ago and was a great car until the transfer box went pop!

great car back in 1990...chav tastic now

I used to own one many years ago. I loved it at the time (I was young) but I wouldn't have another one. I had a S14a 200SX afterwards putting out 250BHP and the difference between the 2 really showed the Calibra for what it was (a Cavalier in ladies clothing!!)

i used to have a 2.5v6 calibra, and it was cool in its day, and the engine sounded great and was silky smooth. then the arches delveloped the dreaded rust so it them sorted and sold it before it came back.

also the one of the biggest problems with them are the fact that at night you couldnt see where you were going as the headlights are dreadful, you may as well put some candles on the front, in the attempt to get the smooth front of the car the vauxhall seem to have decided you dont need to see where your going at night

In it's defence though, the turbo version was the very first production car in the world to have All Wheel Drive AND the 8v version was (and I think it still is) the most aerodynamic production car in the world!!

All in all that's not bad for a lack lustre Vauxhall coupe methinks.

Steve

Only good part of them is the engines, currently the proud owner of a nice '93 redtop in my corsa :p

Looking forward to getting it back on the road in the summer.

Apart from the engine, the rest of them belong in the scrappy lol

Ian_GSi16v said:
Only good part of them is the engines, currently the proud owner of a nice '93 redtop in my corsa :p

Now that is a good engine!

although the later Ecotec engines can be made to churn decent power out too...but the old Redtops are excellent!