TVR Cerbera

Lovegroover

Reaction score
Fastest production car of it's time, absolutely gorgeous and handbuilt (not very well) but i'm seriously tempted as a weekend only rocket of fun.
What do ya reckon?

Cerbera 4.5 - Engine 4.5
4475cc alloy V8 engine
Max Power 420 bhp @ 6750 rpm
Max torque 380 ft.lbs @ 5500 rpm
0 to 60 mph 3.9 secs
0 to 100 mph 8.3 secs
0 to 150 mph 17.9 secs
Maximum +195 mph

tvr_cerbera_4.jpg

tvr_cerbera_3.jpg

tvr_cerbera_1.jpg

tvr_cerbera_2.jpg

:hubbahubba:

I've always had a soft spot for one of these, infact, I nearly replaced my S3 with one after a year, as my mate's dad was offering a mint red example for the right price. But I declined in the end, for fear of reliability issues and fuel consumption costs, still a wonderful machine to look at, and fantastic performance in this day, cool car for me. :racer:

an absolute handful and a ******* of a car to live with I would have thought.

The kind of car you dont mind borrowing and thrashing, but glad to give back afterwards.

You would need a lot of space to "thash" it!!

Interesting review of frightening cars in last months Evo, showing that a well setup version need not be a scary nightmare.. But make no mistake, this is one hell of a quick powerful rear wheel drive car with no driver aids.

Running costs will be high - but neednt be cripling if you find a well sorted car, and keep on top of it..

I think its pretty cool but running costs will be horrendous.You could buy any one of the 4 Japanesse motorcycle manufacturers 1 litre sports bikes for around £8-£9k and get better perfomance figures, except top speed all will top out between 175- 185mph + you'd get a 2year warranty.

Think about it you know it make sense.

motorbikez said:
I think its pretty cool but running costs will be horrendous.You could buy any one of the 4 Japanesse motorcycle manufacturers 1 litre sports bikes for around £8-£9k and get better perfomance figures, except top speed all will top out between 175- 185mph + you'd get a 2year warranty.

I'm sure I can, but I won't be able to ride it, as I don't have a bike licence. :think:

Lovegroover said:
I like bikes, but i can't ride them and fear that i would die quickly - even quicker than in a fibreglass car!

Was just a thought mate if you are a speed addict,guess its the car then mate best of luck with it.

They look & sound awesome & go like f*ck!!

If I was in the market for that type of car tho i'd prob choose something else. Even if it was a bit slower.

Main reason being i've heard far too many stories about poor build quality 7 reliability. I'm used to Jap reliability. I've had 4 in the last 7yrs. None of them have given me any grief. So if it is true what they say about TVR reliability then i'd get seriously f*cked off very very quickly!!!:no:

Craig:cool:

motorbikez said:

Or he could remortgage, apply for a huge loan & get an Apache AH-64 attack helicopter. That way anything that even tries to race him gets blown to sh*t!!:icon_thumright:

I think most people realise that if you get a good bike, such as R1, Fireblade etc etc then the majority of cars aren't gonna stand a chance.

The point is, most people actual prefer to have cars. When it's minus 5 outside & snowing, i'd much rather be sat in inside a car, all cosy with the heating on than on a tiny bike seat wearing leathers & a crash hat:cold:

I've always wanted a bike, especially a fireblade. I've never taken my bike test & don't intend to until I grow up some more. I'm bad enough in the Evo sometimes never mind on a crotch rocket!!

I have a real soft spots for TVR. Not quite the same since Peter sold the company though. Ive seen them built and although they do tend to have electrical problems, they are a classic hand built car.

A mate of mine used to be the IT manager there and I did a lot of work for them, so was over on a regular basis. I remember seeing the speed 12 for the fisrt time, 2 cerbera engines bolted together.

The earlier TVR's, Chimera and Griff were based on a tuned Rover V8, but the Cerbera was the first engine they designed and built from scratch.

That takes some balls.

Me, I would have a Griff without thinking twice, certainly not a first car though

Simon

craigynett said:
Or he could remortgage, apply for a huge loan & get an Apache AH-64 attack helicopter. That way anything that even tries to race him gets blown to sh*t!!:icon_thumright:

I think most people realise that if you get a good bike, such as R1, Fireblade etc etc then the majority of cars aren't gonna stand a chance.

The point is, most people actual prefer to have cars. When it's minus 5 outside & snowing, i'd much rather be sat in inside a car, all cosy with the heating on than on a tiny bike seat wearing leathers & a crash hat:cold:

I've always wanted a bike, especially a fireblade. I've never taken my bike test & don't intend to until I grow up some more. I'm bad enough in the Evo sometimes never mind on a crotch rocket!!

Yeah your right enough about crap weather most people including me prefer to be in the tin box, sports bikes for most people are just toys for good weather but what toys they are awsome.

craigynett said:

A lot of that depends on where you live and what the roads are like...

There were cars that passed me on my Fireblade...and bikes I can still play with point to point in the car now...

I know what you say about the 'majority'...but I have mates with bikes and cars...and I've had both...and it's not clear cut.

Or playing music...
Or cool in summer with the air con turned down rather that sweating your nads off in leathers.

To me, the two are not comparable..
You get certain kicks from bikes that cars can't provide.
But in the right car, you get kicks that even big bikes can't provide.

In my dream garage, I'd have a collection of both...

Been really tempted to trade the S3 in for a Cerbera for a while but keep managing to talk myself out of it due to reliability issues.

I considered a TVR a few years ago...and think that as long as you know what to expect, and accept that it will break down / lock you out / electrical things stop working then you'd not be dissapointed.

They are a handuilt car after all...and not German...so you take the nagatives as part of the 'charm'

Cool, in a wild and hairy-chested sort of way.

For me, as long as I don't need it to drive to work (which i wouldn't) when it brakes (which it will) it gives me an excuse to get my spanners dirty and use all the engineering knowledge I spent so long learning on something I can actually enjoy. So maybe next summer? Need a garage first though!!
LOL - I was reading a story the other day about a Cerbera that locked it's owner in. Ha ha - Imagine the AA call....