James May...

DavidR

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
James Daniel May (born 16 January 1963, in Bristol) is an English television presenter and journalist best known as co-presenter of BBC Two motoring show Top Gear, along with Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson. He also writes a weekly column for The Daily Telegraph's motoring section.

May often refers to himself as "the other guy from Top Gear". He is known for finishing last in nearly all of his high school track races and the Top Gear challenges between the presenters, which, along with his generally leisurely driving style, has earned him the nickname "Captain Slow" among his co-presenters and fans for being so slow in his races. He generally refuses to run on camera, although he has been caught running during the Cessna 182 vs. Veyron and Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren vs. ferry challenges on Top Gear. In addition, for series 9, a feature involves May further defying his nickname by attempting to reach 253 mph in a Bugatti Veyron (on a proving ground, Volkswagen's Ehra-Liessen track, qualified as a "secret test track".)

"Oh ****"...
Perhaps the expletive of the decade?

The man is a proper leg-end.

Anyone with such bad taste in shirts gets my vote as being uber cool.

The man drives an old Bentley for goodness sake...not one of these new fangled gauche VAG creations...but a proper olde worlde English Bentley. 'Nuff said.

Uber cool...

Gained a lot of respect from me over the time he's been on the show.

He's sat in the 'cool' position on my Top Gear magazine cool wall fridge magnets so he gets the same here.............

Top chap. How funny was he in that wine tasting program that was on recently (can't remember what it was called, to early!).

I perhaps shouldn't mention this as someone in their thirties but I have a shirt that he has...and no, he didn't inspire me to purchase it, it's about 6 years old!

Hotscar said:
Top chap. How funny was he in that wine tasting program that was on recently (can't remember what it was called, to early!).

Oz and James's big wine adventure?
That was it, wasn't it?

Top entertainment...

He seems a real affable character.

Ess_Three said:
Oz and James's big wine adventure?
That was it, wasn't it?

Top entertainment...

He seems a real affable character.

That was it and yes, very genial, especially when in the back of a car after a shed load of the good stuff.

James May is very cool. He's a very important part of the Top Gear team; it's easy to think of the Hamster and Jezza doing all the pranks, but James balances it out nicely. He's done some excellent pieces on the show too.

Have we forgotten what the word "cool" means? Let me see now, he's got crap hair, crap clothes, drives like your dad, is middle-class and always gets picked on by the other two. Since when was that being cool?

Ess_Three said:
The man drives an old Bentley for goodness sake...not one of these new fangled gauche VAG creations...but a proper olde worlde English Bentley. quote]

And he drives a B reg Carrera, he was behind me in it on the way to work the other day.

He's a funny fella but cool he ain't.

batwad said:
Have we forgotten what the word "cool" means? Let me see now, he's got crap hair, crap clothes, drives like your dad, is middle-class and always gets picked on by the other two. Since when was that being cool?

that is what makes him cool imo :icon_thumright:

batwad said:

It seems that some of us are struggling to understand the definition of cool... That May is individual, eccentric, independant and does not follow the trends set out by society engenders him with an air of coolness that the majority of trend following lemmings fail to come close to. His frank indifference to the mockery he faces from Clarkson (who is as far removed from cool as I think it is possible to be) confirms his position on the cool wall. His lack of apparent concern witnessed on the wine adventure as he drank his way around France in a leaky old XJS V12 upsetting locals and critics alike is exactly the kind of off camber, irreverent humour that brightens everyone's day...

And since when is being middle class a crime? Surely the demise of the working class and its consequent striving for middle class values lands everybody in the same position? Not really a discriminating feature anymore!

Returning to an automotive theme, take the Land Rover Defender. By any definition a cool car, but in equal measure a dire exercise in mechanical execution... Leaky, noisy, unreliable, indifferent off road, tired and dated... But arguably the one car that can be driven anywhere, to any event, to any hotel, to any party without fear of people thinking that the owner is trying too hard (or perhaps more importantly not trying hard enough). Elegant, efficient coolness that is also classless.

Let's not forget that just because a car is desirable, fast, competent and beautiful it's not always cool. An EVO may be cool with the pimply youfs at the B&Q car park meet - but then Chavs are not exactly a reliable barometer of cool... There are too many people voting "cool" on these polls... Where's your individualism? Where's your sense of style? Why is everyone so uncool?...

So, May... Timeless, classless, elegant and refreshingly indifferent. Someone proud to be different, but unflustered by the criticism it attracts. A gent... but without the pomp and ceremony... A Bently driving beer drinker with perhaps the worst taste in jerseys and shirts I have ever seen..

Hell, I'm changing my vote from cool to sub zerooo...

Eccentric he is with his ways and I'll subscribe to cool as he knows his **** and carries on with whatever anyone thinks
good medium on top gear with the other two

Hmm..... It depends on your definition of cool..... Cool used to mean fashionable and popular, but often its synonomous with someone being trustworthy or likable.....
so depends what you mean...... Hes certainly not "COOL" in the John travolta Grease sense of the word but If someone was to ask " can I trust this guy" you could I think answer " Hes cool...."....
so.... eerrrrrrr..... I voted uncool to buck the trend! But that doesnt mean I dont like that guy or find him amusing! Maybe thats defeating the purpose of the poll!

So if going along with what everyone else says and does in uncool anyone who votes for "cool" must themselves be uncool.

Hooray I'm cool! :cool: ;)

DavidR said:
It seems that some of us are struggling to understand the definition of cool... That May is individual, eccentric, independant and does not follow the trends set out by society engenders him with an air of coolness that the majority of trend following lemmings fail to come close to. His frank indifference to the mockery he faces from Clarkson (who is as far removed from cool as I think it is possible to be) confirms his position on the cool wall. His lack of apparent concern witnessed on the wine adventure as he drank his way around France in a leaky old XJS V12 upsetting locals and critics alike is exactly the kind of off camber, irreverent humour that brightens everyone's day...

And since when is being middle class a crime? Surely the demise of the working class and its consequent striving for middle class values lands everybody in the same position? Not really a discriminating feature anymore!

Returning to an automotive theme, take the Land Rover Defender. By any definition a cool car, but in equal measure a dire exercise in mechanical execution... Leaky, noisy, unreliable, indifferent off road, tired and dated... But arguably the one car that can be driven anywhere, to any event, to any hotel, to any party without fear of people thinking that the owner is trying too hard (or perhaps more importantly not trying hard enough). Elegant, efficient coolness that is also classless.

Let's not forget that just because a car is desirable, fast, competent and beautiful it's not always cool. An EVO may be cool with the pimply youfs at the B&Q car park meet - but then Chavs are not exactly a reliable barometer of cool... There are too many people voting "cool" on these polls... Where's your individualism? Where's your sense of style? Why is everyone so uncool?...

So, May... Timeless, classless, elegant and refreshingly indifferent. Someone proud to be different, but unflustered by the criticism it attracts. A gent... but without the pomp and ceremony... A Bently driving beer drinker with perhaps the worst taste in jerseys and shirts I have ever seen..

Hell, I'm changing my vote from cool to sub zerooo...

own up
you are his publicist

I can't belive this thread even exists!!!

This is not what a cool man looks like:

JamesMay-tgnl.jpg

I think James Is gorgeous. He really is very laid back and coooooooool. I do feel sorry for him at times when he gets picked on by his co-presenters. Ramming his car was a bit mean.:asskicking: Hugs. XX

Hot Stuff said:
I think James Is gorgeous. He really is very laid back and coooooooool. I do feel sorry for him at times when he gets picked on by his co-presenters. Ramming his car was a bit mean.:asskicking: Hugs. XX

Are you female?

Yeah May's a legend!!! Adds a good contrast to the rip snorting Jezza.:rockwoot:

Hot Stuff said:
That sounded a bit rude:hubbahubba: or is that just my dirty mind!!!!

Yes and yes.

Just how dirty is your mind????

You do realise this is a car forum...... :think:

Am I female? The last time I looked I had boobies so yes Id say so:whip:

Hot Stuff said:
James can use his weapon on me any time he wants:hubbahubba:

Hussy.

You sound right up my street....

Hot Stuff said:
The last time I looked I had boobies

You cant go around saying stuff like that without backing it up with evidence.
Where are the pics?

silver75 said:
fight you for her

:aggressive:

You can have her mate.

Went to see Amy Winehouse on sunday, i'm in love!!!!:shutup2:

Too skinny now... She was better before the tats, booze and crack.
Apparently there were pics of her in a sunday paper getting into a cab with coke all over a face!!?

(EDIT Im talking about Amy Whinehouse not "Hot Stuff")