Mk1 Golf with S3 engine?

Cool but given how rare the Mk1 is nowadays, you've got to be brave to heavily modify one.

In my view, a modified Mk1 is never as cool as a standard one.

Not enough standard GTIs left...and far too many badly modified efforts.
Also, adding a soul-less 1.8T doesn't make it any better!

Not cool for me...the standard car, very cool...but with an S3 engine...sadly less so.

It will handle like a blamanche!!!

I'm with Ess on this one, MK1's need nothing other than a good lowering and a set of BBS's.

Nuff said.

This imo is a pointless poll, modified cars are usually built for ones own pleasure and not others, but if it gets interest from other people, then it's a bunus.

For me, part of the inherant 'coolness' of the Mk1 GTI (apart from it being the first of the GTIs as we know them) was the fact that it had exactly the right amount of power for the chassis (albeit bendy chassis and uber poor brakes!)

You could drive it on the throttle...throw it about...and do so with full commitment with little real fear of getting bitten.

Sensibly lowered and on decent light wheels (BBS naturally) in either 6x14 or 6x15 with 185/60/14 or 195/50/15 tyres and you have the near perfect GTI of it's time.
Timeless...and to me, super cool.

I like it!!

I think its a great idea, however at the same time i agree that the mk1 should stay as it is, as it was built just the way it should be...

Keeping them looking standard and doing the engine conversion always makes it that bit special, like the JBS R32 mk2, a normal average joe on the street would not be able to tell the difference at all....

Good idea, but keep it street sleeper...

How about this one then?

12.jpg

A mate of mine built it using a G60 engine for a bit more soul, rather than the usual 1.8T lump.

Loving the blue surround grill, and motorsport badge, but does it have a 16V head G60 under the bonnet? ;)

If that is a 16V G60, then it's even more cool due to VW only making about 100 16V G60's. The 16V G60 was only introduced in the Mk2 and they were only made for Germany. The one's here have been imported.:respekt:

im in the process of restoring my 1976 mk1 golf 1.6 gti

how i bought it
Photo-0106.jpg

at this very moment

DSC00295.jpg

as you see not much has changed

i hate the color so i deffo need to find a new suit for it

whatever state a mk1 golf is in, it is still 1 of the coolest cars i kno of

im in the process of restoring my 1976 mk1 golf 1.6 gti

how i bought it
Photo-0106.jpg

at this very moment

DSC00295.jpg

as you see not much has changed

i hate the color so i deffo need to find a new suit for it

whatever state a mk1 golf is in, it is still 1 of the coolest cars i kno of

Nice axle stand Mister! Is that from the Snap On `rustic range`

:w00t:

Is that the 16vG60 that was in PVW for sale - looks like it....

Never had a hard top but the 2 late convertibles I had were awaful for scuttle shake....always gonna be the case with old convertibles i guess, makes me laugh when I see that people put far more powerful engines in the soft tops - not worth it if you ask me.

Went to run what you brung and they has a blue mk1 running 4wd and i dont know what engine but it was competing with a 600bhp r32 gt-r skyline and 550bhp ford rs200 all day long it was an animal, it was stealth too had 16 inch comps on it and a half roll cage in black you couldnt hardly see the cage it was a proper sleeper, i just remember its first run up against a tt supra it killed it buy 2 full car lenghts and everyone's jaw dropped to the floor

Isnt there a 600bhp twin engined vr6 job?? I believe its green and is fast as feck!!

Isnt there a 600bhp twin engined vr6 job?? I believe its green and is fast as feck!!

Yes there is!! an old friend of mine.. his boss used to have the chap that made it do work on his car.

It was at inters at bentwarters about 4 years ago, i think thats the one unless some else made one.. it done 0-60 in 2. something !!