It's the bloated great grandchild of the first proper 'hot hatch',
weighing in at a third more than it's illustrious ancestor. Moreover
build quality has taken a dive over the last generation. Anyone who has
sat in one will have been dissapointed by the cost cutting that's taken
place at VW. Cheap plastics that are lifted straight from an 80's
'Hinari' stereo system, leather that's more like vinyl, tales of
creaking noises from the steering system not to say total failures and
a myriad of other little foibles.
Yet despite this the MKV GTi is undisputably cool. Why so?
Firstly I've seen criticism of the 'Interlagos' cloth suggesting it's
tacky. That's missing the point, you may not like it but that's what
was in my MKI and MKII GTi's and if it's good enough for those icons
then it's certainly good enough for the MKV. Retro cool points- 10/10.
Then there's the handling, this isn't as great as some would have you
believe, certainly not up there with the great lightweights of old.
That said it does have a charm and character of it's own. Precision,
compliance and adjustability place the MKV a cut above your average
competitor in the class. 'Nurburgring hassling a Porka in the bendy
bits' cool points 8/10
Being an Audi forum we're probably all familiar with the blown 2.0. It
hits the magic 100bhp/litre in standard tune. A remarkably lag free
unit it's perfectly judged to give the Golf enough shove to be fun.
Remap it however and the 'beast is unleashed'- 240 odd Bhp is enough to
propel the Golf into straight line competition with it's higher powered
class rivals, the VXR and Focus ST. Of course it's beaten them already
in terms of outright driveability. Techno nerd turbo cool points 8/10.
So there we have it, the MKV GTi, Volkswagen finally remembered how to
make a cool car. Not quite sub-zero like some of Audi's past offerings
though eh? :D

Sub-zero :)

My sister bought one new last year, and for what it is, I really can't fault it ;)

I've got no real vested interest but those who say the car isn't cool- justify your opinion!:moa:

Cool, but not sub-zero. IF I thought it was sub-zero I would have bought one instead of the A3 :)

Had one a few months back, if it didnt rattle like a snake i would still have the thing. Quite happy with my A3 at the moment though...

not hijacking but if you think the golf pricey for what you get then what are your thoughts funky on the new S3?

I'm debating whether to get a mk5 golf so I'm biased

I think the new S3 is a beaut, but TBH I wouldn't put my money into either of them brand new....in fact I wouldn't put my money into anything brand new unless I had more money than I knew what to do with! IMO I can't see how anyone would put money into something knowing they will lose so much in the first 12 months. I'd rather wait three years and pick up £30k's worth of car for about £19k when its only just been run in....

Funky_Junky said:
I think the new S3 is a beaut, but TBH I wouldn't put my money into either of them brand new....in fact I wouldn't put my money into anything brand new unless I had more money than I knew what to do with! IMO I can't see how anyone would put money into something knowing they will lose so much in the first 12 months. I'd rather wait three years and pick up £30k's worth of car for about £19k when its only just been run in....
True

Cool. I bought one a month ago. Easier to drive than the S3 and probably as quick on a dry, twisty road. Traction in the wet is crap, and yes, it rattles like a new car doesn't have the right to. So I'm selling

Sub-zero. I love my Sportback but if only I'd found out sooner how good the new GTI was going to be. For what I spent on my car, I could have had a very nicely specified GTI. ******! :mad:

I bought one last october having sold my S3 and, TBF, its a lot nicer to drive.
Keep up with the S3 ? On fast a & b roads in the dry. Yes.
I've tried convincing myself that I haven't missed 4wd and that there's not a great deal of difference, that the Golf is as quick through roundabouts and tighter stuff. But its not.
I don't like V6 engines, so an R32 would, I feel, dissapoint me. I just wish the GTi had the S3 engine (new S3) and the haldex 4wd. I wonder then ,how many people would have had the GTi instead of the R32.

Chris.

Agree, very nimble indeed. I tried my luck last summer whilst in Sussex and got completely out-danced (my car is standard and very flabby). I've never driven one but the way this guy was throwing it about I would go as far to say it looked as much fun as a Clio 182.

Cool though, not sure about that. If you're a VW fan and have owned Golfs then I'm sure you'll find it cool but as I've never been a great lover of Golfs it just doesn't do it for me.

Hairy Ballbag said:
My last car was a MK5 GTi, had it about a year.
Flabby it wasnt, go and have a drive in one....

I'm not sure it's cool either...

Better to drive than a comparable A3, impressive enough...just not overly cool. Proof that VW can still make cars that handle properly and are great fun to drive.

Hotscar said:
I would go as far to say it looked as much fun as a Clio 182.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having driven both...
I was slighlty disapointed with the engine in the 182...it seemed quite flat...you really had to work it.
Bad seating position but an awasome chassis...brilliant fun, you can get that thing going into/out of corners at some very silly angles indeed...but to me, it's a 10/10ths car...it's only really great on the limit.

The GTI I found much better for everyday use...almost as much fun as a 182 at 10/10ths (not quite as adjustable) but better to live with everyday.

Personally, I never found wet traction too much of a problem either...and for most driving, it wasn't any slower than my S3.

IMHO the Golf GTi lost its coolness the day the mk3 was introduced. I had a mk2 GTi 16v, 3dr big bumper model in atlas grey. I had it as a runabout. Had 160k on the clock. I paid £100 for it off my g/fs brother as it just needed tidying as he's a lazy b*stard!!

I spent £400 altogether on discs & pads, backbox, gear linkage kit/bushes, h/brake cables, speedo cables, service & a better condition interior off ebay. Sold it 18 month later for £1300 to a mate. It started 1st time every time & ran 100%.

It's the only Golf i'd have apart from a GT TDi. To me they're all over rated. Give me an A3 anyday;)

Craig :cool:

craigynett said:
IMHO the Golf GTi lost its coolness the day the mk3 was introduced. I had a mk2 GTi 16v, 3dr big bumper model in atlas grey. I had it as a runabout. Had 160k on the clock. I paid £100 for it off my g/fs brother as it just needed tidying as he's a lazy b*stard!!

I spent £400 altogether on discs & pads, backbox, gear linkage kit/bushes, h/brake cables, speedo cables, service & a better condition interior off ebay. Sold it 18 month later for £1300 to a mate. It started 1st time every time & ran 100%.

It's the only Golf i'd have apart from a GT TDi. To me they're all over rated. Give me an A3 anyday;)

You've not driven a MKV GTi then.

craigynett said:
Erm!! Nope!! No intention of neither!! Don't even like the look of them. The only Golf that stands out to me these days is the R32 & IMHO it's another over rated & over priced VW ;)

I couldn't justify spending that kind of £ on a Golf!!

There's nothing like informed comment and that's nothing like it.:asskicking:

The R32 is an inferior drive to the GTi (having test driven both) and I agree you'd have to be mental to pay anything like the prices VW ask for specced up MKVs. Likewise the same has to be said about A3's even the excellent S3 is taking the proverbial price wise when you spec it up.

I still contend the MKV GTi is cool though, it's got credibility in a way the MKIII and MKIV never had...........

I thought we were giving our views on if it's cool or not!! So less of the :asskicking: please ;)

Regardless of whether i've driven any Golf or not I just don't think it's a cool car. The mk3 looked a boring pile of poo & the mk4 GTi kinda looked like every TDi on the road. I agree the mk5 looks & perform better but i just think it isn't anywhere near as cool as a mk1 or mk2 ;)

Even though I drive one voted Cool instead of Sub Zero, mines in Black with 18" Monza II's, always getting dirty looks off other drivers, looks nicer in the flesh. Would agree with a few comments about general build quality, yeah its not on par with Audi but they are two manufacturers aiming at different parts of the market, some people have commented about the interior plastics, would have to say the dash (neon blue dials and red DIS) is nicer than the A3's although again doesnt have the classy feel that the Audis does. Seats are better though and Im thinking you would have to spend quite a bit of dosh getting an A3 to handle and drive as well as the GTI.

Horse For Courses.

dont like the new Golf shape/look at all. Im sure its nice to drive and its got great reviews, just not my cup o tea.

Mandala said:
It's the bloated great grandchild of the first proper 'hot hatch',

Sorry to be so pedantic but wouldn't it be the great great grandchild, unless your counting the mk2 as the first proper 'hot hatch'? :)

Cool.
I had the Mark 4 & it was only OK, this is amuch better car.

Guess its down too personal taste but the styling alone is just a let down... looks like way too many other cars on the market..:no: