EVO'S

missviper

Reaction score
Maybe not what you all are thinking but Evo's are definately subzero to me.
And are so cool in yellow!

IMG_0702.jpg

I love them all especially the Tommi Makinen edition

I think I remember hearing them talk about this one on Top Gear & I think they got it spot on, if its a girl driving then its subzero but if its a bloke then uncool - but a seriously capable car

Although the latter Evos are great to drive, there is not so much as a single nut or washer on that car that's cool.
Impressive...yes.
Capable...yes.
Fast...yes.
But cool?
Not even close...it's another soul-less, disposable, soon to be replaced, high-technology Japanese rocket...
Just not cool.

Fine drivers cars...just not cool in my eyes.

S3 AD said:
I think I remember hearing them talk about this one on Top Gear & I think they got it spot on, if its a girl driving then its subzero but if its a bloke then uncool - but a seriously capable car

I think a decent looking woman driving any powerful car looks pretty hot (as long as she doesn't look frightened of it!)

Ess_Three said:
Although the latter Evos are great to drive, there is not so much as a single nut or washer on that car that's cool.
Impressive...yes.
Capable...yes.
Fast...yes.
But cool?
Not even close...it's another soul-less, disposable, soon to be replaced, high-technology Japanese rocket...
Just not cool.

Fine drivers cars...just not cool in my eyes.

Totally agree, great engineering but a bit geeky if you ask me.

Love the sound of a scoob but the evos are less common so swings and roundabouts really.

They are cool in the way they are fit for purpose; like tearing up a B-road like nothing else. And let's face it, you never see a bad review of an Evo.

But I wouldn't own one.

Great cars Evo's, I personally like the look of Evo 5's, but the Evo 6 is the one to have imo. I have recently drove the latest Scooby STI with PPP pack and an Evo FQ300 back to back, both very quick and capable cars, but my money would be on the Evo FQ, just a nicer car and better built than the Scooby, but the STI was more raw as a road going rally car!

Not sure about how cool they are though, you like them, but you don't really want to own one, cos you want to be able to sleep at night, and you have to park in secure places etc.... the coolness comes from the road presence, not looks imo, and most car enthusiasts know what they are about when they see one, so 'Cool' for me. :cool:

I can't stand the silly noise the Subarus make with their regulation daft 6" exhaust pipe...it's the RS Turbo for the Playstation generation.

I'd rather plunge my head into a vat of boiling oil that own one of them.

I'd take the Evo over the Subaru every time...but only if if was life or death...I couldn't bring myself to desire either.

Neither are 'cool' to me.

I don't think they're cool but I was a long time deciding between buying an Evo or the S3. I used to work on them in their true environment with a rally team and they are a truly awesome car, extremely capable and have performance to shame almost anything else built, even more impressive when you consider the price!

I may still buy one at some time, never can be sure, although the 4,500 mile service interval would not suit my usage one bit. I'd never touch a Subaru though, :noway:

Well,, I have to admit I had an EVO VI as a daily driver for about 18 Months. I loved it, not because it was a fantasic car, but because it was so much fun to drive.

IMO the VI was the 'true' EVO.

BBigman2000 has had a few,,,,, we met on a lancer site.

Cool. The Evo 6 was a car that had people just stopping in awe of its presence. I remember when i first clocked one on the way down the A34, awesome, gotta have one. Fortunatley I was lucky to have one for 6 months and it was cool, period.

I think the new ones are a bit too expensive to run/insure for the chav's out there. And the interior is ****, looks like something out of a datsun from the 80's

All look cack since the Evo 6. Wonder what comprimises are built into the car that they need serviced every 3000 miles. Where as a Scooby very similar car doesnt?

seriously uncool, whats the point is going like stink if you look like a 100% plerm??? track day car maybe but would never want to be in one on a public road

klauster said:
seriously uncool, whats the point is going like stink if you look like a 100% plerm??? track day car maybe but would never want to be in one on a public road

Are you joking? Do you really think owners of Evo's look like twats on the road?? OK they are not the best looking of machines we all know that, but they have a road presence that commands respect by the bucket load and we all know what they are capable of - in the right hands I must add - on the road.
Everyone who see's one would recognise it's an Evo, it will go down as a classic, if it isn't already, in the long term...

jojo said:
Are you joking? Do you really think owners of Evo's look like twats on the road?? OK they are not the best looking of machines we all know that, but they have a road presence that commands respect by the bucket load and we all know what they are capable of - in the right hands I must add - on the road.
Everyone who see's one would recognise it's an Evo, it will go down as a classic, if it isn't already, in the long term...

completely serious, I do respect the car in terms of design, performance and engineering, but I stand by the fact I have seen lots of these and NEVER thought the person driving it was cool, and while I'd love 'a' go in one, if I was given one I wouldnt keep it, nevermind me buying one.

Sure these cars are great power, performance and handling but thats not what makes a car cool!

klauster said:
completely serious, I do respect the car in terms of design, performance and engineering, but I stand by the fact I have seen lots of these and NEVER thought the person driving it was cool, and while I'd love 'a' go in one, if I was given one I wouldnt keep it, nevermind me buying one.

Sure these cars are great power, performance and handling but thats not what makes a car cool!

How can you say: 'I do respect the car in terms of design, performance and engineering' and 'Sure these cars are great power, performance and handling' and 'I'd love 'a' go in one' and not say that is cool, it ticks all the boxes and then some. Admittedly it was a bitch to run and pricey but hey thats the catch of having a cool car!!

jesters3 said:
How can you say: 'I do respect the car in terms of design, performance and engineering' and 'Sure these cars are great power, performance and handling' and 'I'd love 'a' go in one' and not say that is cool, it ticks all the boxes and then some. Admittedly it was a bitch to run and pricey but hey thats the catch of having a cool car!!

no they dont, they dont tick the box marked cool!!!!!

more to a car then just performance and handling, what about the looks?? What about the desireability? What about the interior, and the quality of the materials used?

this car is all shagging and no foreplay if you ask me ;)

jesters3 said:

I think me and you are on the same wavelength Jester, don't get me wrong klauster, I'm not against your opinions at all, but a lot of us seem to agree that original Quattro's and Integrale Evo's are subzero standard. But are they good looking machines? and do they have the interior of todays Audi? far from it! it's all about the history, performance and road presence that make them cool, and the Evo in my opinion will go the same way in 10 years time.

COOL - i think people just dont like the fact that "chavs" , but more likeley gangsters, like this car. its obviously quick, good looking and fun. thats all i would want from a car, **** what everyone else thinks.

Evo 6 - legend
Evo 7,8 - legend, and also owned by a few gangsters

klauster said:
no they dont, they dont tick the box marked cool!!!!!

more to a car then just performance and handling, what about the looks?? What about the desireability? What about the interior, and the quality of the materials used?

this car is all shagging and no foreplay if you ask me ;)

I agree...
A very competent car...but not the sort of thing you lust after.
You'd buy one, thrash the **** of it, get bored of it (or go bankrupt trying to keep it on the road) then sell it for peanuts and move on.
Not cool at all.

Very fast...
Very impressive...
Very desirable (to Chavs and ex RS Turbo owners)
But cool? Not even close...

Ess_Three said:
I agree...
A very competent car...but not the sort of thing you lust after.
You'd buy one, thrash the **** of it, get bored of it (or go bankrupt trying to keep it on the road) then sell it for peanuts and move on.
Not cool at all.

Very fast...
Very impressive...
Very desirable (to Chavs and ex RS Turbo owners)
But cool? Not even close...

Hmm, fair point. I guess this is one that neither would agree on. I lusted after the fukka and was well chuffed to get a hold of it but yes, bankrupt I agree, thrashed it everywhere I agree, peanuts I agree but bored no way. Every time you got in it you heard voices, ..."you can make it"......"just a little bit..." and it was awesome and one cool experience that everyone should attain. Even the looks were cool, you have to admit that at least, come on :)!!!

jesters3 said:
but bored no way. Every time you got in it you heard voices, ..."you can make it"......"just a little bit..." and it was awesome and one cool experience that everyone should attain. Even the looks were cool, you have to admit that at least, come on :)!!!

You see...that's the problem for me...
You get in and drive a bit of road faster than ever before...you push harder and harder and the car almost laughs at you...it's just so ****** competent.
But after a while of going A-B faster and faster...you get bored...

Then one of two things happen:
You either sell it because although it thrills by you driving faster and faster...the car itself doesn't thrill...and you get tired of playing the same game...
Or you have a monumental off and probably die.
Nobody has small 'offs' in Evos...because they are so good toy end up binning at silly speeds.

I got to the same point with the S3...

Eventually, you want something that's alive and thrilling at 5/10ths...and almost everyone I know who's had one loved it...but doesn't aspire to another.

Great car...
Just not cool...I don't think you ever get tired/bored of a 'cool' car.

Ess_Three said:
You see...that's the problem for me...
You get in and drive a bit of road faster than ever before...you push harder and harder and the car almost laughs at you...it's just so ****** competent.
But after a while of going A-B faster and faster...you get bored...

Then one of two things happen:
You either sell it because although it thrills by you driving faster and faster...the car itself doesn't thrill...and you get tired of playing the same game...
Or you have a monumental off and probably die.
Nobody has small 'offs' in Evos...because they are so good toy end up binning at silly speeds.

I got to the same point with the S3...

Eventually, you want something that's alive and thrilling at 5/10ths...and almost everyone I know who's had one loved it...but doesn't aspire to another.

Great car...
Just not cool...I don't think you ever get tired/bored of a 'cool' car.

I see your point, however from my view I see a car that offers everything you want and then some. No its no Gallardo or RS4 Avant (both other cool cars in my eyes) so it does away with the luxuries, but the thrill factor the grin and just the way it looks is what I (IMHO) deem cool.

I can't see the bored thing personally, yes you may tire of caning the **** out of it or get annoyed and ****** off that you have to shell out another £50 on 45 litres of 97 every 90 miles but you are not bored. Would I buy another for sentimental value and cherish her, yes I would if I had the cash. If I had to use it as a daily runaround then no I wouldn't as it woould be more econoically viable to buy a country then run it, but that said is what cool cars are about. High Maintenance but awesome to be in.

jesters3 said:
I see your point, however from my view I see a car that offers everything you want and then some. No its no Gallardo or RS4 Avant (both other cool cars in my eyes) so it does away with the luxuries, but the thrill factor the grin and just the way it looks is what I (IMHO) deem cool.

I can't see the bored thing personally, yes you may tire of caning the **** out of it or get annoyed and ****** off that you have to shell out another £50 on 45 litres of 97 every 90 miles but you are not bored. Would I buy another for sentimental value and cherish her, yes I would if I had the cash. If I had to use it as a daily runaround then no I wouldn't as it woould be more econoically viable to buy a country then run it, but that said is what cool cars are about. High Maintenance but awesome to be in.

I like your thinking Jester, maybe I need to own a Porsche, and it HAS to be a Yellow one at that, then Evo's might not be cool anymore. :moa:

jojo said:
maybe I need to own a Porsche, and it HAS to be a Yellow one at that, then Evo's might not be cool anymore. :moa:

You don't need to own a Porsche to realise they aren't cool...anyone with a hole in their **** will confirm that.
They aren't cool...

Hadn't realised there was an original thread about these cars- will look harder next time.

Some people here contend that they aren't true drivers cars and that 'any muppet can drive them fast'. There's certainly a grain of truth in that but to get most out of one requires a driver with above average skill like any car really.

The question is how can something that will out perform most other cars on the road not be cool? I'd say that attribute qualifies it without exception (if of course you prize performance above qualities like soft touch plastics)

What's cool about it?

It looks awful...it cripples the owners with it's running costs...it's thrown together with nasty materials...and it's a favourite with the Chavs...
Cool?
I think not.

As an engineering project it's very impressive...but that doesn't make it cool.

I personally don't think you need a higher than average driving level to go very fast indeed in one..any Muppet can drive one...and drive one faster than they've ever driven before....because the car is sooooo good and does it all for you.

But see past the lift off oversteer induced power-slide...and it's a one-trick pony. You wouldn't pick one as an everyday car as they are too ****** stiff...at less than 8/10ths they just don't make sense.

Not cool.
Impressive...but impressive is not equal to cool.

I also question how cool they look parked in the 'ring car park, bonnets open, steam spewing out, brakepads on fire after a 'hot lap'
Same with the Subarus...

They don't look very cool then...

Mandala said:
Hadn't realised there was an original thread about these cars- will look harder next time.

Some people here contend that they aren't true drivers cars and that 'any muppet can drive them fast'. There's certainly a grain of truth in that but to get most out of one requires a driver with above average skill like any car really.

The question is how can something that will out perform most other cars on the road not be cool? I'd say that attribute qualifies it without exception (if of course you prize performance above qualities like soft touch plastics)

lol, another person that basically says if a car is quick and handles well its cool!! No No NO!

Im starting to worry if people really know what COOL mean :no:

Ess_Three said:
What's cool about it?

It looks awful...it cripples the owners with it's running costs...it's thrown together with nasty materials...and it's a favourite with the Chavs...
Cool?
I think not.

As an engineering project it's very impressive...but that doesn't make it cool.

I personally don't think you need a higher than average driving level to go very fast indeed in one..any Muppet can drive one...and drive one faster than they've ever driven before....because the car is sooooo good and does it all for you.

But see past the lift off oversteer induced power-slide...and it's a one-trick pony. You wouldn't pick one as an everyday car as they are too ****** stiff...at less than 8/10ths they just don't make sense.

Not cool.
Impressive...but impressive is not equal to cool.

thank god!!!! Finally :hi:

ChriS3 said:
I'll second that because I can't be ***** expressing my own, similar opinion :)

Respectable performance, just not cool.

Thirds!!!