Porsche 911

Randomjim

Reaction score
Just had to get this one in there, uber cool in my books :hubbahubba:
993turboS-1.jpg

Mandala said:
If a rear engined car that can trace it's history and success in motorsport back decades isn't sub-zero then we'd all be as well going and buying a Toyota Prius.

Provenance alone does not make something cool. Sadly the 911 has fallen foul over the years of it's apparent coolness and attracted some exceptionally dodgy customers.

Most 911s bought new are poseurs cars, driven at 15mph round docklands with the rear spoiler up... They are rich kids wine bar cruisers - those that cannot afford them buy TTs... :)

Sadly, the 911s excellent heritage, motorsport domination, technological innovation and sheer entertainment and sublime looks cannot save it fully from the pinstriped bellends that most comonly buy them.

A friendly flash at a new 997 will most often be met with a puzzled and whimsical look or even downright aggression... I've yet to drive up to another 911 on the road and find the helmsman can actually drive the thing...

... And don't even get me started on tips, cabs and targas! Yeugh...

I bought mine (as did several others here) to experience the engineering excellence and unique drive of the cars - if all 911 owners did the same their coolness would increase accordingly...

You've gotta see the big picture on this one...

DavidR said:
Provenance alone does not make something cool. Sadly the 911 has fallen foul over the years of it's apparent coolness and attracted some exceptionally dodgy customers.

Most 911s bought new are poseurs cars, driven at 15mph round docklands with the rear spoiler up... They are rich kids wine bar cruisers - those that cannot afford them buy TTs... :)

Sadly, the 911s excellent heritage, motorsport domination, technological innovation and sheer entertainment and sublime looks cannot save it fully from the pinstriped bellends that most comonly buy them.

A friendly flash at a new 997 will most often be met with a puzzled and whimsical look or even downright aggression... I've yet to drive up to another 911 on the road and find the helmsman can actually drive the thing...

... And don't even get me started on tips, cabs and targas! Yeugh...

I bought mine (as did several others here) to experience the engineering excellence and unique drive of the cars - if all 911 owners did the same their coolness would increase accordingly...

You've gotta see the big picture on this one...

I guess my view of them is biased as I don't live in the UK and the only time I ever see another is when I'm at a track day.

993 Owner here so I guess I have to admit I'm biased.

Come and spend the day with me and see the difference between all the 911 owners out there!!

I see them all everyday

Ess_Three said:
Does that mean that someone who fits bling, replica Porsche wheels to his S3...is a wanna-be WAG?

Surely that's worse?...WAY worse...!

Time for a change methinks lol, I did actually choose my Cup3's as I was after a set of 19" 5 spokes, and saw a pic of a German registered S3 with the same wheels which made me have a double take! Not due to it's Porsche wannabe look, and they are still quite Original on this site! even after 4 years, c'mon, who else has 19" Porsche rims(albiet heavy *** replicas!) on their S3? :cool:

I am however, looking for a decent set of light weight 18" wheels, but nothings caught my eye yet, BBS CH, Sportecs and MTM's seem common to me, and I'm a fussy git when it comes to wheels, just like you and your handling huh? :p

Ive got a 911 996 TIP and I love it I saved for years to buy it. I also let the spoiler come up on its own at 75mph and dont drive at 15mph and pop it up with the switch.

Vron said:
Ive got a 911 996 TIP and I love it I saved for years to buy it. I also let the spoiler come up on its own at 75mph and dont drive at 15mph and pop it up with the switch.

Ooh...
Vron, it was going so well until the 'TIP' bit... :whistle2:

How do you find it?

What's the spec of yours?
C2/C4? 3.4/3.6?

I chose the Tip because it was what I wanted. It took a lot of searching for too and I had to travel up to Glasgow from Sheffield for it. I love automatics and the Porsche is a dream. I have a Basalt Black C2 3.4

Vron said:
I chose the Tip because it was what I wanted. It took a lot of searching for too and I had to travel up to Glasgow from Sheffield for it.
I love automatics and the Porsche is a dream.

I'm not a fan of automatics, but I drove a C4S Tip, and it was certainly better than any other I'd driven.

I have a Basalt Black C2 3.4

What is it with people and black 911s? :whistle2:

Ess_Three said:
What is it with people and black 911s? :whistle2:

Silver is the most common then Grey Black isn't really that common.
Out of the 10 new turbos I have seen only 1 is black and 4 were Blue

Black Cayenne now they are as common as Muck

Tip box is ok in Turbo and C4S but abit sluggish in the rest....but still I wouldn't have it unless it was in the new Turbo

Porsche use Merc boxs in there cars now and they are slightly better.

I only ever buy metallic black cars, my A3 is metallic black too - gives me an excuse to wash it more often (the Porsche that is :anbet: )

marmite said:
Porsche use Merc boxs in there cars now and they are slightly better.

I discovered this on the Porsche factory tour. The German tour guide changed the subject quickly... :)

Sub Zero in my opinion :rockwoot:

My old man has just sold his 996 C4S, how gutted was I

Notice the yellow calipers :hubbahubba:

Ess_Three said:
^ Nice colour!!

Were they PCCBs or the yellow calliper option?

They are Ceramic Brakes, great once heated and to be honest not that bad when cold. The only problem with them was the squeaking! Not sure why they did?

Cobalt blue, did look good.

nervus said:
Tankman,
Whats that a 964 turbo s? Hens teeth.

I bet thats a handful with 380hp, rear wheel drive coupled with mid corner boost delivery!

get some clear indicators too, they make an enormous improvement!

Now then, missed this reply sooooo

It's actually a 930 Turbo made to look like a 964 3.8 RSR. Originally a 3.3 with about 300BHP, I bought it after some mad people had spent a fortune on it making it look like it does. There was some considerable money spent in the engine bay and it is now 3.4 litres with a K27 and some mods to the intake and exhaust. Big torque output lowdown negates the turbo lag. Dyno Dynamics at Weltmeister had it showing 510HP and 563LbsFt. No traction control and no ABS either!

Img2005-07-02_0011.jpg

Ever the obliging chap that I am,

416-04.jpg