Mk2 VW Golf GTI 16V

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Of all the Golf bodies to date, I have always liked the Mk2, so much so that I bought myself one earlier this year to use as a runaround, and having no regrets.
I just had to go for the 16V version, though nowhere near the power of torque of my S3, theres something about the engine when it goes pass 4k revs, when the cams come on song straight to the red line - fantastic!

I think it's a cool car, what do you think? :cool:

Pic is from a google search, not of my actual car.
photo_1180415

I used to have an 8v version. Couldn't beat the 3 wheeled action shots! :rockwoot: The only one I didn't like was the MkIII really.

I turn into an 3 wheeler everytime i chuck it about a bit he he. Looks pretty cool on a big car.

I'd have another one as my main car any day of the week. Preferably a late 89 / early 90 with facelift interior and 1 piece windows but no big-bumpers or power steering.

They're such comfortably, reliable, solid cars its unreal.

however, if i was to buy one as a toy, i'd probably go for a mk1 and 1.8t it.

only other golf i've ever been interested in were mk4 r32's and mk5 gti's.

I like. Always looked up to these as being thee car to own when in my 20s. Now I'm here I realise it's all about driving a daddymobile. :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm a fan too. A mate used to have a mint 5-door 16v in that rare Oak Green colour - it was just stunning.

My dad had one of the first 16v's back in early 1987 (when aged 54!).

It was a black 3 door with a BBS body kit and BBS split rims. He had it for 3 years and put 140,000 miles on it no problems before it got replaced with an Audi 90 quattro. I wonder where it is now - D445 EAJ.

I owned a few MKII's... but all 8v's - I think I prefer the 8v as this could be as quick as the 16v for a little money (Exhaust & cam) with K-Jetronic didnt need re-mapping. I did always want a valver though!

MK2's rock, gotta be an oak green 16v though.

Had a MK3 8V, it was a massive dissapointment, only MK3 to have is a VR6.

smitch said:
MK2's rock, gotta be an oak green 16v though.

Had a MK3 8V, it was a massive dissapointment, only MK3 to have is a VR6.

nah, the gearings all wrong on vr6's. It too much of a tourer for any real fun. Don't get me wrong though, they're damn nice cars.

for mk3's, the 16v anni is where its at.

Yup, gotta love the MKII.

I've owned a couple, had a white F plate GTI 8V small bumper, and a Royal Blue H plate GTI 8V big bumper. Loved them both.

Also had a MKI GTI, now that is a cool car, my one was a bit of a dog though!

Peloton said:
I used to have an 8v version. Couldn't beat the 3 wheeled action shots! :rockwoot: The only one I didn't like was the MkIII really.
100_0388.jpg

Don't go dissin the VR

Love the Mk2. I had a oak green 16v campaign model and a Helios Blue 16v.

Proper car, good fun an nooo depreciation! _getting pricey now though arnt they!

Hi

i had a mk2 16v 3dr big bumper model as runabout about 18 month ago. Had 155k on the clock never let me down:)

I only paid £100 for it off of my g/fs brother. It needed a bit of work doing to it tho. Spent another £500 or so to get it mint.

I then sold it for £1200 after 1yrs use;)

Craig:cool:

fingermouse said:
sorry don`t like them hence why I got a mk2 CRX not a mk 2 golf.

I had a mint mk2 CRX VTEC a few yrs ago. Gotta be 1 of the most fun cars i've owned:)

Altho it was far from standard, 236bhp, quickshift, LSD, traction control, launch control, NSX front brakes etc etc & stripped down to just a touch over 900kg. Going on for £20k worth of mods!!;)

Wrote it off in 2003:(

Craig:cool:

ive had an A reg mk2 1.3 C (Mars Red 2) and a G reg 1.6 Driver (Tornado Red 16v Look-a-like) awesome cars!!

im a cheapskate when it comes to insurance so never bought a GTi as thought they weren't worth the premium.. my loss i guess

had a mk3 1.8 Driver too and i loved every minute of driving it

my mk4 was ok but underpowered as it was the insurance friendly 1.4 16v

Rev-head said:
Prefer the Mk1 but the MK2 is up there
I'm with you on this one Mk1 is the cool one, OK I'll give you R32, but the rest of the GTi's kinda lost it for me

I've have had a few mk2 16vs including a oak green with a turbo technics conversion 200hp and loads of torque I surprised a few people with that car. I still rally a mk2 16v no turbo this time but 215hp on throttle bodies sounds great a getting on for 8k revs.

Cool for me too! I remember coming up against a few in my 205 and I loved every occasion...great car!

It's cool. Very.

After the Mk II it all went out the window for the Golf I believe. But it's just worming it's way back with the current Gti.

Or rather, it was. And now the GT Twincharger has right nonced it all up coolness-wise.

Tarts.

I couldnt choose between the Mk2 and the Mk1, so got a Mk1 Gti and a Rallye
DSC00214.jpg

Both cool cars, the Mk1 was horrible to drive tho in reality

Soupie69uk said:
I love the Mk2.

My mate has one and here it is.

Has made a few changes since this pic though.

Saw your mates one at edition38 this year, super dooper car!!

Sub zero for me, its a pioneering car, which so many poeple hve followed! Owned a few of them myself 2!!

Seriously cool cars espcecially with the amount of engine swaps available for them my mate has a five door witha VR6 in it , complete sleeper