The BEST car ever produced?

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Is this the BEST car ever to be produced? I know its out of range of all of us, but by god is it a tool.

And best of all it was built by VAG...

bugatti-veyron.jpg

This engine is an absolute masterpiece...
bugatti-veyron-w16-engine-776255.jpg

OMFG how much would i love one of these! the ultimate car imo!! Just done a sex wee! hahah:wub:

I'd give both my balls for one of these things, I read in CAR magazine that a journo had one of these for a weekend, he lives in germany, the police had to close off the road when he was filling it up because there were so many people looking at it.... that's class.

997 TT for me, or a 997 based tuner car such as the Gemballa Avalanche or RUF Rt 12

And I would drive it to work and back everyday :cool:

Bugatti Veyrons are cool, it's cool to own one and you look cool, turning up to a party in one! :cool:
But only one car gets the '0 degrees kelvin' for me, and if it was my money, this is the car I would buy. :racer::cool::cool:
mclarenf1b.jpg

You could buy 3 or 4 of those for the price of a Veyron!
Plus the newest one you'd get would be around 5-6 years old

It really surprised me, but the Veyron really underwhelmed me. I vaguely remember the first rumours about the car, that it was going to have over 1000bhp and, like most, I was excited. But when I finally saw it (on telly, natch) it didn't wow me. I don't know whether I'd grown out of it, didn't like the styling (it is a bit gammy), the focus on the power output, the technology "getting in the way" angle or the simple fact that it would have gone faster if they'd not put all that interior in there. Don't even get me started on the chavvy power meter!

jojo, I'm 100% with you. The F1 is the bestest car ever. An astonishing piece of engineering that had purpose; it's a proper racing car in all its bare-bones glory, none of this luxury refinement lark. That bank of switches with the fuel cut-off and the like, proper stuff like that. Plus I saw one on the road once and nearly wet myself, even more so than when I touched an F40.

Oh, and did I mention the McLaren is British?

bang goes the top gear cool wall "categories" :(

batwad said:
jojo, I'm 100% with you. The F1 is the bestest car ever. An astonishing piece of engineering that had purpose; it's a proper racing car in all its bare-bones glory, none of this luxury refinement lark. That bank of switches with the fuel cut-off and the like, proper stuff like that. Plus I saw one on the road once and nearly wet myself, even more so than when I touched an F40.

Oh, and did I mention the McLaren is British?

I've seen one too, it was a silver example, pulling away from me at phenominal pace heading onto the M6 from Birmingham. :cool:

Do you remember the Topgear testdrive with Tiff doing the rounds on a circuit on the Macca F1? Just the way it was wheelspinning all the way up the hill, whilst exiting a corner is all I remember, but it was awesome from what I remember, and the performance stats in it's time was of another world.
The F40 was a favourite of mine for a long time until the Macca F1 arrived, I still wouldn't say no to an F40 though, probably my second Coolest car on the planet!!

FERRARIF40front3q.jpg

jojo said:
Bugatti Veyrons are cool, it's cool to own one and you look cool, turning up to a party in one! :cool:
But only one car gets the '0 degrees kelvin' for me, and if it was my money, this is the car I would buy. :racer::cool::cool:
mclarenf1b.jpg

make that 2 of us

there can be only one .................

jojo said:
Do you remember the Topgear testdrive with Tiff doing the rounds on a circuit on the Macca F1?

Was that the one with Tiff driving? That was amazing, seeing a driver of Tiff's quality pushing that car to the limits. He was concentrating so hard and having such an awesome time that he couldn't speak, only make strained, primitive grunts and barks! I've been trying to find a clip of the on YouTube etc. for ages!

jojo said:
The F40 was a favourite of mine for a long time until the Macca F1 arrived, I still wouldn't say no to an F40 though, probably my second Coolest car on the planet!!

Hey, are you reading my mind? I've got here, sat next to me, a Tonka model of an F40 that I've had since I was a nipper and is the first car that I can remember falling in love with the styling of. I'd totatlly forgotten about the model until I went round my mum's house a few months ago and spotted it on a windowsill. I had to take it home; I love the F40 sooooo much. :wub:

In fact, I've decided the styling I like in supercars. The Wedge! All the supercars I love are wedge-shaped and have no pretences to subtle curvy beauty like the Veyron. Cases in point: McLaren F1, F40, Lotus Esprit, Lambo Diablo & Countach. Now they're what a supercar should look like :)

batwad said:
Was that the one with Tiff driving? That was amazing, seeing a driver of Tiff's quality pushing that car to the limits. He was concentrating so hard and having such an awesome time that he couldn't speak, only make strained, primitive grunts and barks! I've been trying to find a clip of the on YouTube etc. for ages!

That clip apprears on a top gear video - Top Gear, Fast and Furious.

I'll always remember the way Tiff is just pottering around in it for a while, going shopping and stuff while he talks about the specs of the F1. Then he takes it to a county road and "Gives it some stick" as I remember the quote. It was so fekin fast it looked like the film was speeded up!!! He then takes it promptly to a track. Awesome machine.

If anyone finds this clip please post a link to it!!

C_Audiboy said:
That clip apprears on a top gear video - Top Gear, Fast and Furious.

I'll always remember the way Tiff is just pottering around in it for a while, going shopping and stuff while he talks about the specs of the F1. Then he takes it to a county road and "Gives it some stick" as I remember the quote. It was so fekin fast it looked like the film was speeded up!!! He then takes it promptly to a track. Awesome machine.

If anyone finds this clip please post a link to it!!

Found it !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILJAfiALQf0 :thumbsup:

What a fekin noise - and looks like a handfull on the track!!!

The fun begins at 5min 32secs .......

Just awesome!!

The Veyron is already an automotive legend, period. There are other cars which do some things better, but it is an incredible engineering feat however you look at it, and reading off the technical specification leaves you breathless!

benw123 said:
The Veyron is already an automotive legend, period. There are other cars which do some things better, but it is an incredible engineering feat however you look at it, and reading off the technical specification leaves you breathless!

There's no doubt that the Veyron is a technical tour-de-force, but until I see one lap the Nurburgring or similar with a driver similar to Tiff Needel(I'm not saying he's the best driver for the job, but someone with ability) at the helm, I'm yet to be convinced how good the car is, at whatever the price. It's quick is a straight line, we all know that, but is it a Supercar that eclipses them all?!

Cool car by the way. :cool:

jojo said:
There's no doubt that the Veyron is a technical tour-de-force, but until I see one lap the Nurburgring or similar with a driver similar to Tiff Needel(I'm not saying he's the best driver for the job, but someone with ability) at the helm, I'm yet to be convinced how good the car is, at whatever the price. It's quick is a straight line, we all know that, but is it a Supercar that eclipses them all?!

Cool car by the way. :cool:
That's not really what the Veyron is all about, and much of the press have already acknowledged this. It tips the scales at nearly two tonnes, so any other supercar would trump it round the Nordschleife.

Think of it more as a technical leap forward. Jeremy Clarkson summed it up well when he compared it to Concorde.

PS - I always thought Tiff was a bit crap actually. He was always wasted by the other BTCC drivers when he competed with them!

jojo said:
There's no doubt that the Veyron is a technical tour-de-force, but until I see one lap the Nurburgring or similar with a driver similar to Tiff Needel(I'm not saying he's the best driver for the job, but someone with ability) at the helm, I'm yet to be convinced how good the car is, at whatever the price.

I have watched a Veyron lapping the 'ring:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last summer...and it was lapping at the same pace as a disguised 997 GT3.
Not exactly slow... :drool:

9second 1/4mile out the box. This is as cool as it gets.

I'd like to know what would happen if a tuner got hold of one of these, could it be improved on...? Doubt it!

A4Quattro said:
I'd like to know what would happen if a tuner got hold of one of these, could it be improved on...? Doubt it!
One of my workmates was winding me up this afternoon about the Veyron. He said they'd built a stripped version that weighed 1600kg and had been retuned to 1500bhp - and for a short time I bought it too! B@st@rd ...

benw123 said:
One of my workmates was winding me up this afternoon about the Veyron. He said they'd built a stripped version that weighed 1600kg and had been retuned to 1500bhp - and for a short time I bought it too! B@st@rd ...

he wasnt sh*tting you, here it is

pink20veyronwq5.jpg

tuned by bathing ape :)

errr bathing ape are an apparel company, nothing to do with tuning motors.....!

its rank..

if you look clearly at the headlight washer, i'm sure you can see a tear

it's deffo cool, but light and "focused" cars do it for me...
think mclaren f1, elise etc...

i can almost hear you say:then why the s3? darned if i know...i guess things are different in the real world.

i love the verron...you wanna se my desk at work...haha got about seven pics of it. il also like this....the new ferrari! this is at the top of my list with the veyron. mmmmmmm

4-ferrari-p-4-5.jpg

benw123 said:
Think of it more as a technical leap forward. Jeremy Clarkson summed it up well when he compared it to Concorde.

How does a car that weighs 2 tonnes and has a large displacement engine that makes 1000bhp constitute a leap forward ? What it does constitute is lazy dated engineering (apart from the tyres).

What exactly is so great about this 1000bhp Veyron ? If it had 500bhp would it still be great ?

If its so great why the need for VAG to pretend the car weighs alot less than it really does ?

If this car cost 100k would all the journos rave about it ? Is it just the price tag that appeals to them ?

1000bhp is very very old news

I think it is about the naffest and most overhyped supercar ever built.

The Veyron is about as uncool as a car can get.

Typically German fast in a straight line with headline grabbing figures but cant go round a corner .

The original Mini is much cooler and actually did result in a huge leap forward in car design .

A4Quattro said:
This engine is an absolute masterpiece...
bugatti-veyron-w16-engine-776255.jpg

I would be interested to know why you think that a large displacement engine (8 litres) that makes 1000bhp is a masterpiece ?

Its specifc output per litre isnt even hot hatch Normally aspirated territory.

A masterpiece in marketing and hype maybe a technical masterpiece definitley not

I think the technical masterpiece is in the fact they could mate such an engine with a gearbox/clutch that wouldn't disintegrate if abused. That takes some doing
I think it's great, it's just completely trounced all the fuss & hype a while back when manufacturers were competing for the fastest/most powerful TopTrump production car in the world. 500bhp/600bhp, 220mph etc etc and then VAG come from nowhere and p1ss all over them with the Veyron.
Who cares whether it goes round corners? Given the fact none of us will ever drive one let alone own one we can just enjoy the tech spec. and the fact that it was built at all. Top Gear didn't even put it round their track as they knew it would crucify everything gone before.

Top Gear didn't even put it round their track as they knew it would crucify everything gone before.

Though this is probably true, I think they were limited to using the car in Europe, where JC gave the road test.
Every road test or feature of the Veyron is all about the straight line speed and acceleration, I've yet to see some footage of one go round a track, and I mean actually doing a lap of any track against another car for comparison.

co55ie said:
Typically German fast in a straight line with headline grabbing figures but cant go round a corner .

The original Mini is much cooler and actually did result in a huge leap forward in car design .

The Model T was a huge leap forward in car design too, but do you think thats cool?

How do you know the Veyron can't go round a corner, have you driven one, do you know someone that has? Think not.

the Mini is cooler than a car that has 1001bhp? who cares about power to weight ratio, if that were a coolness deciding factor then everyone would be voting for the Tiger with two motorbike engines that does 0-60 in about 2 seconds and weighs about 500kg.

there is more to being cool than just being fast, Clarkson is a man that knows about cars, he has make a career out of it, and if he says the Veyron is the best car he has ever driven, then thats good enough for me.

If you actually read into the designing of this car then you will see that it really is a masterpiece of automotive engineering, to compare it to a poxy mini is a travesty.

Porsche 959 :rock:

1983 - 1988 200 mph, 0-60 3.6 seconds - permanent 4 wheel drive. A super car that could be used as a domestic runabout.

Ferrari built the F40 as a response... a crude joke in comparison.

galewis said:
Porsche 959 :rock:

1983 - 1988 200 mph, 0-60 3.6 seconds - permanent 4 wheel drive. A super car that could be used as a domestic runabout.

Ferrari built the F40 as a response... a crude joke in comparison.

someone give this man a Jaffa Cake.. i like him already

the Veyron is an awesome car.. why would you need to look any deeper into it? (that coming from a self confessed car geek!)