3 13.64%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2.8 30v

Thread: Ford Mondeo ST 2.2TDCI

6th Gear

Status

Ford Mondeo ST 2.2TDCI

What we reckon to these then chaps?

Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I quite like them. I drove one for a month once, and it was deceptively quick once you got it wound up. I think they look quite nice too.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Fully Certified Detailer!!

Status
    i like them in the way that its a good all round vehicle, i drove a similar spec Mondeo but was a Ghia X and it was well equipped and drove nice.............. but............. its no Audi lol on a serious one though i would never own a ford or any other manufacturer but i do like the look of them and if i was given one i wouldnt be an unhappy guy

Administrator

Status
    I had a Mondeo for work for a while, it wasn't a 2.2, but was a pokeyish 2.0 oilburner. I went to meet the guy from Thrifty at the services to pick it up and on first impressions it didn't look half bad. It was the next revision on from that pictured above, and an estate. A nice dark grey metallic colour, nice tints from the b-pillars back, no roof-rails (which the estates look better without imho), and some tidy rims. Couldn't really fault it. Everything was a bit plastic inside, but it wasn't exactly offensive. Equipment level was pretty good for an off the peg spec. Drive was competent, but not exactly inspiring. It shifted well enough, and although you could stick it into the bends, at the slightest little bump/ripple/crest in the road, the steering would go floaty-light, which personally I don't like one tiny weeny little bit.

Couldn't really fault it on anything overall though. Looked tidy, drove fairly well, well equipped, pretty spacious, and cheap as chips on the company car tax compared to a lesser-equipped Passat I had. Not bad to have to drive around as a works' bus.

//R
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

Shark in a Goldfishes clothing

Status
    I have just sold my ST tdci for the audi a3

Also had the st220 as well both fantastic cars when they are running right but too many reoccurring issues especially on the tdci such as injectors, egr valve and lower aux belt pulley, add to that ford have no idea what they are doing and your headed for problems like I was. I will never buy a ford again due to the dealers being incompetent in the knowledge of there own products but as said both were good cars when they worked lol

Decat , Exhaust, intercooler and a remap got mine up to 193bhp with 380 lb torque so it had some kick :-)

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Have you seen the tech ford have available in there cars these days, its pretty bloody good tbh, the new Mondeo estate looks fair aswell, checked the site & its got some nice stuff, of course at a price.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Status
    Yeah its great till it breaks down, then your stuck with massive bills for diagnostics before you can claim on your warranty, and even then it will be a substandard repair lol

They were unable to remove my radio so in the end smashed it to bits as it was being replaced anyway, but they smashed the heater control in the process too so had to replace that and the new one didn't fit properly after numerous attempts I had to live with it!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock View Post
    Yeah its great till it breaks down, then your stuck with massive bills for diagnostics before you can claim on your warranty, and even then it will be a substandard repair lol

They were unable to remove my radio so in the end smashed it to bits as it was being replaced anyway, but they smashed the heater control in the process too so had to replace that and the new one didn't fit properly after numerous attempts I had to live with it!
    Was this a Ford dealership?!

The service team at Audi aren't exactly genius' though are they? All depends on what garage you go to and it's pot luck whether they have someone who know's what they're doing or not, regardless of the brand
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge_don View Post
    The service team at Audi aren't exactly genius' though are they? All depends on what garage you go to and it's pot luck whether they have someone who know's what they're doing or not, regardless of the brand
    Yeap, I'm lucky as my dealership who I have known for years are great & if anything we've taught/learnt from eachother on certain things on the 8P for example, most other dealers I hear of are absolutely ****e, although Stoke seem to be very good especially parts.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Status
    Yeah it was a ford dealership, but as you say, no brand is perfect

Hopefully audi will be a bit better than them though lol

6th Gear

Status
    Mondeos a bloody good motor. Whether it's cool though? I don't think it is, too much of a reps car.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranoco View Post
    Mondeos a bloody good motor. Whether it's cool though? I don't think it is, too much of a reps car.
    Agreed

Plus with the cool wall its a diesel so wouldn't even get a look in.

Come on you Spurs

Status
    I owned one for about 4 years and it was blinding and much quicker than the A3 Black Edition (140hp) I have now .......yes I know its got more power but its also a damn site bigger & heavier
    The A3 is a much better drive though and no Mondeo Diesel rattle, which seems to be standard on them all
    Good car though the ST TDCi and looked cool in Panther Black with Graphite Alloys

2nd Gear

Status
    It's looks neither offend nor inspire, it is to the world of cars what water is to the world of beverages. It serves it's purpose but no child will ever hang a poster of one on their wall and no one that owns one will ever feel the impulse to look back at it admiringly as they walk from the car to the house. It is neither cool nor uncool.
    the crisis mobile BMW Z4C 3.0
    It's quick and it sounds bloody good.

1st Gear

Status
    sorry but I just can't see a Mondeo every being cool they were slow and horrible to drive and as for looks aweful

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.8 30v View Post
    sorry but I just can't see a Mondeo every being cool they were slow and horrible to drive and as for looks aweful
    Slow and horrible to drive? You clearly have never driven one. If you get a pikey one they aren't quick but the V6 and bigger diesels were very nippy indeed and as for the "horrible t drive" they have been highly regarded since the release of the Mk3 for just how well they do drive.

Life begins at 140mph
    www.passionford.com

1st Gear

Status
    there's a fair chance I've driven them more than you as I've spent 20 odd years working in ford main dealers so I think I've driven every model of mondeo ford built both on the road and track

6th Gear

Status
    Ok mate so all the auto testers and motoring press are wrong. Ford sent you out on track in a Mondeo? Love to see some pics of that.

I've actually driven a fair few Mondeos myself seeing as Ford supply almost all our fleet cars.

My brother uses an M3 daily and as a chap who drives and dismantles hundreds of cars (converting for disabled drivers) of almost every make and model from pikey Nissan Micras to a Bentley or 2 and a Ferrari he reckons the Mondeo drives superbly also. So forgive me if I take your opinion with a pinch of salt.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, I would rather chop my genitals off with a butter knife than drive a Vauxhall but many people love them.

Life begins at 140mph
    www.passionford.com

1st Gear

Status
    I'm not saying auto testers are wrong its just my view I don't get why your getting upset by it
    NHN likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Rough couple of days, don't mean to sound pissy about it, I just don't get your viewpoint.

Like I said you are absolutely entitled to any view you like.

Life begins at 140mph
    www.passionford.com

1st Gear

Status
    fair enough it was just my view from my experience from working on them and driving them
    as for the track test ford take and let techs and sales staff take cars out at a test track near their training centre and I've done that a few times

6th Gear

Status
    Fair enough, reading it back I did come across very pissy. Bit of pressure at work at the mo which is making me a bit more stroppy than I would be normally.

Life begins at 140mph
    www.passionford.com

1st Gear

Status
    no problem mate