Hesitation/stumbling problem on 85' 4000 S

beater854k

Reaction score
Hey all....

I'd like to pick your brains if I may....I just recently picked up my winter beater....its an 85 4000 s....actually its a cool little car in pretty darn good shape for what I paid...

Anyhow, it runs pretty well with the exception of a hesitation/stumbling that I am experience under wide open throttle....

If I'm only 3/4 throttle, it goes along just fine, but when I mash the pedal to the floor it bucks and actually shakes the car some...its trying to go, but its like the car is missing on a cylinder....oh, and for what its worth, my girl was following me home and we were talking on the cell and she said that everytime I went full throttle, it would emit some black smoke from the tailpipe....but wouldn't do it while driving normally....

O.k., I've pulled the plugs and they all look good, the wires are recent from what I'm told and look it as well....I'd really like to solve this on my own rather than take it somewhere....What else do you think it might be? What should I check for?

Oh and by the way, I think the alternator is weak....when I mash the gas the battery light on the dash starts to glow brighter, but when I take my foot off of the gas and let the car idle, it goes dim.....I'm suspecting a possible alternator problem....but would an alternator that is not working properly cause a hesitation at wide open throttle??? what about a puff of black smoke out the tailpipe.....

The car only has 83k miles on it from what I'm told, but of course the odometer isn't counting anymore...

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated...

Thanx in advance...

Brian
85 4000 s

check on the intake there is a little "L" shaped hose and it might be cracked, my car did the same thing so look at that or put some fuel line cleaner in it