newbie needs advice on 1992 audi v8

GreenMtnBoy

Reaction score
I found a 1992 v8 for sale locally for $700. He claims it needs plugwires and "a little work". Sounds too good to be true, so I was hoping for some advice on what to look for, or what symptoms to look for when I check it out in person.

Check the basics out take the spark plugs out of Engine and check colour of plugs to tell you how engine has been running,is engine out of car? other things to do take all plugs out and crank engine over with wrench make sure its not siezed,take oil filler cap of and look at cams to make sure of no scoring and colour of oil ,dipstick for oil again and for any emulision water oil mixture (blown head gasket signs)ask the obvious question whys he got the engine and what did it come from,Check the way he has stored engine as well you dont wont to buy it and find crack in manifold when you try and start it up ,if clutch assembly is still on engine(if manual) check it out as this will be part of the price for the engine as well,Ask for mileage as well

Take sockets with you and good luck if guy who is selling engine is not into you doing any of this he has something to hide

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yeah, I'm a newbie to audis, not to cars. Can you give any specific known problems for this car?

Hey i agree little work to garage can mean alot to someone else and to be honest there are two reasons why garages sell cars one to make money and the other is to get rid of cars that dont,If its going cheap there must be some minor problems with it but to honest with a car that age it could be anything the only way is to go and drive it and ask the same question as above,look out for the exspensive parts on car and make sure they are in good working order like power steering pump,engine in general,brake servo,brake pipes,brakes,check all gauges especially oil as this will indicate if any problems with engine as in low oil pressure can mean oil pump on way out or excesive wear on engine,when engine cold oil pressure should be high 5bar because oil temp low but expect to go down to 3bar when warmed up
Hope this helps