Audi 80 Air Conditioning packed in

• Thread starter imported_Estoril_Sport
  • Start date
I

imported_Estoril_Sport

Hi My wife's Audi 80 air conditioning has given up - the fans work but no cold air, I took it to an independent Audi garage and they would not touch it, they said I needed to go to the Audi main dealer - this sounds expensive! Is there any quick and easy tell-tale techniques to identify the possible fault? Coincidentally (!) the air conditioning seemed to stop working after the car had been into the said independent Audi garage for another repair! This leads to me wonder if the problem with the A.C. is simply a loose cable or AC filter may be causing the problem? A flush of the A.C. system has been suggested to me also - anyone have any idea how much this would cost, or if it would do any good? Any ideas are welcome.

Hi Audi5a

Took your advice, went to a independent Audi garage they fitted the relay switch, re-gassed the A/C all for £144. (over half the price of the main dealer). The bad news is it looks like the A/C pump has siezed up as well. The garage who did the repairs is quoting £400 for a new one so I can fogot get that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I presume the Audi dealer would want to charge me £800. Has any one striped down a AC pump and got one to work again. I could also try a breakers yard as to see if they have one. Can any one recommend one ?

Thanks

The problem is if your aircon is now gassed up you cannot change the pump yourself. I suppose the pump could be the same as used on other audi models so may make the search easier. I would be tempted to take the belt off and have a look at the compressor pulley as it should spin with the aircon off and engage with the shaft when the aircon is switched on.

does anyone recon those pumps?

Not sure of yards in the UK, I could suggest some in SA... :)

Also I am not sure about fitting a used aircon pump, it might go the same way pretty quick? no way of knowing.
If i were you, i would look around for a recon centre, failing that, fork out the 400quid for the new one.
ouch!