Audi 90, fumes inside cabin; oil or exhaust?

I

imported_jimmy154

I have fumes inside my Audi 90. It's a 2.8 V-6 SOHC. I have checked the exhaust and there aren't any leaks that I could see. Thought there might be cause it's loud, but I guess it's all attributed to when I removed one of the catalayic converts when in broke.

The smell and affect of the fumes seems to be worst when decellerating from fast speed or when downshifting. Is it possible that the oil leak I have is getting burned of on a hot part of the car like the exhaust for example and getting intside the cabin? I can't imagine why it would get worst when decellerating. Exhaust catalayic converts are covered with oil. Maybe it gets in through the air intake, where is it any one know? Any one ever have this problem?

have you ever bashed the screwdriver accidentaly through your hand? that really hurts.

sounds like the "leak" is coming from the crankcase breather pipe. what you are seeing is oil mist. it is supposed to be drawn back into the cylinders and burnt.
you should tighten up all the hose clamps so that the residual oil does not leak. try getting some engine cleaner and clean the entire engine thoroughly, then, each time you get home after driving, check under the bonnet/hood and check to see if you can find where the leak is coming from. then repair that part.

i mentioned the trunk as fumes will be drawn into the vehicle from the exhaust if the trunk does not seal properly. same effect as if you drove with the trunk open.

Yes the leak could be coming from the crankshaft breather pipe. The pipe ends right above the air intake manifold, right there is where the oil leak is, I'm pretty sure it comes from the pipe. I did not know where the pipe went, except that it went into the engine somewhere. The pipe is black and about 4 or 5 mm for outside diameter. I think I would have to take the engine apart to fix this problem.

Unless it is the trunk, then I will be very happy. I will try to see what's wrong with the trunk first. I didn't think it was oil burning, because it smells like exhaust, but I did not find any exhaust leaks. I have had 2 cars with exhaust leaks and the smell and dizzy feeling is the same as now. Although I have been told that oil and gas burning smell the same and are very similar to each other.

Never had screwdriver through hand or that I can remember, but hammer to hand that is holding screwdriver very common for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

most models have a thick pipe (about 20/30mm outer) running from just above the top of the sump on the side of the crankcase to the inlet side of the injection system.
some models (particularly in the US) have a small oil return pipe that runs down to the sump drain plug. in fact the standard drain plug has been done away with and a union bolt fitted instead so that the oil can drain back into the sump. all you need to do is fix where the leak is coming from, so will probably not have to get under the car.
check to make sure your boot/trunk is closing properly.