Timing Belt 2.3 80e 93

createsomespace

Reaction score
Hi all,
long time watcher first time poster. I have recently bought and Audi 80 and got it for the right price as it needed a new belt and tensioner. I have replaced both but the problem I am having now is that there was no mark on the crank for TDC so we did it manually by using a screwdriver and feeling for TDC. Had put most of the car back together and starts relatively easy although is running very rough, almost like it's on 4 cyl not 5.
My question is if I mark the belt to the timing mark on the cam and move it one tooth either left or right will this make it run smoother or could there be the chance of the piston hitting the valves by being 2 teeth out if its already 1? I have checked all air intake / vacuum lines and all seems fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you look at the belhousing there should be a window on the right hand side (looking staight at the engine)...when you turn the engine over by hand you should see the flywheel going round through the window and you want to line up the () on the flywheel with the marker ......there should be a mark on the crank pully that lines up with dot on back plate from pulley to?